Samsung Focus and Straight Talk

keishay09

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a flash focus sgh-i677 on straight talk and can't find where the mms setting is...i was a art user before I switch..so can anyone help me through it??

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a flash focus sgh-i677 on straight talk and can't find where the mms setting is...i was a art user before I switch..so can anyone help me through it??

in case you have not found it yet..

Settings cellular

Add apn or edit apn

apn name:att.mvno
proxy server: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
proxy port: 80
Save and Reboot Phone

Then download Samsung wireless manager and follow the net10/straighttalk link at bottom of my sig

kpatt2006

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, i've spent 3 straight hours trying to get my newly, straight talk activated samsung focus to send/receive MMS. I've done everything right up until emailing the straight talk xml file to my phone. What does that mean? My phone is setup with a gmail account so i emailed the file as an attachment to that email address. I could open it and look at it, but it would not let me save the document to phone, copy, cut, paste ANYTHING to it. I tried changing registry files to make my phone show up as usb storage and move the xml file over. That didn't work because I can't find it anywhere in the file explorer. I copied and pasted it into Wordpad to see if my phone would get the document but it wouldn't move the .txt file into where you said put the xml file. I searched for apps to let my phone view/copy/paste xml documents and had no luck. I really don't know what else to do. This is silly. Please help me out if you can.

kpatt2006

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: This is where I finally gave up. I have straighttalk.xml in the provxml folder. If i tap it to open, it just brings up a black screen. Anyways, it's there. So I went to the *#9908#, selected straighttalk from the drop down box then it starts "Loading GPRS Profile for straighttalk" and that's it. Nothing happens, but the screen keeps turning off eventually. I waited about 5 minutes with keeping the screen on while it says Loading..... then clicked closed, turned the phone off and back on. Still no MMS sending or receiving. How I wished I had paid a little more for a Focus S or Flash or ANYTHING really. I had no idea it would be this much trouble =(

86ipods

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you running a custom ROM or just the stock? If your bootloader is already unlocked and you are ready to flash a custom ROM I can show you a post on XDA that got Nokia's Network Setup app working on my Focus to adjust ALL apn settings

Janine81

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got a samsung focus on straight talk , the voice and SMS work fine to get data working I typed in att.mvno that works fine , bing works fine my problem is when I open the market place nothing works except music when I click samsung zone it says no results same for att apps and when I hit apps it opens and it's just black with nothing except " applications " at the top and when I hit games it says no results , I really could care less about games and I don't care about mms I just want to download apps, is this a straight talk problem or the phone , I brought it brand new, please help if you can. Thanks!

86ipods

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I just got a samsung focus on straight talk , the voice and SMS work fine to get data working I typed in att.mvno that works fine , bing works fine my problem is when I open the market place nothing works except music when I click samsung zone it says no results same for att apps and when I hit apps it opens and it's just black with nothing except " applications " at the top and when I hit games it says no results , I really could care less about games and I don't care about mms I just want to download apps, is this a straight talk problem or the phone , I brought it brand new, please help if you can. Thanks!

I've only had a similar problem one time and what fixed it for me was changing the region and language settings under your settings menu. Make sure it's correct for your location and make sure and do a reset after any changes. Not sure but this might fix your issue

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just for s**ts and giggles, I tried my own formula on a Focus S and it works too. BTW, I'm still on 7720 because I don't know if the newer builds knock out the interop unlock.

taylor1801

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Focus sgh-i917 and Straight Talk apn settings

I have a samsung focus sgh-i917 and have unlocked it , switched to straight talk and cannot get on web, recieve any pics or videos. the apn settings wont work from straight talk. spent many hours with straight talk with no help. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mcdanjw

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Focus sgh-i917 and Straight Talk apn settings

MMS won't work, but here are the settings I'm using and data and sms are fine.

Create a new APN
APN: att.mvno
User name:
Password:
Proxy server/URL: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Proxy port: 80

Save it and reboot your phone and you should be good to go.

PeteGerhard

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm going to try to list the steps to get internet sharing and MMS working with Straight Talk, Please bear with me since I've only been playing with WP7 for a couple of weeks, I'm a webOS refugee and I seek asylum within the Windows world. A couple of props need to be handed out first. To Heathcliff74 at XDA for the terrific WP7 Root Tool and to the wonderful folks at the Windowbreak project for the interop unlock that allows us to do these fine things in Mango. Please note that the WindowBreak only works on Samsung devices. If you have an LG Quantum you can unlock by reg edit without having to do any additional downloads, hacking, etc. Last, but not least, the folks at MS for their Windows Phone SDK 7.1 which allows us to side-load XAP's.

1. Get the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 if you don't already have it. It's a large DL so be patient. The prog you will need to run from here is the "Application Deployment" to side-load the XAP's you will be using.
2. Go to WindowBreak by WindowsPhoneHacker ON YOUR DEVICE!! Click on the "windowbreak me" link and follow the instructions. Trust me, it's quick and works perfectly.
3. By now you should have an unlocked device and internet sharing available to you. If MMS is not a big deal to you, quit now and forever hold your peace. If you need it, continue with the sideshow.
4. Fire up Zune and make sure you sync.
5. Now the fun begins, go to the SDK app "Application Deployment and install the WP7 Root Tool from Heathcliff74 from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=839254&d=1325517854
6. If you get an error message that your device is pin-locked, go to your phone's app list and hit "interop unlock" because Zune will re-lock your phone at every sync.
7. Now that you have WP7 Root Tools installed, you will notice that you have a file explorer tab. This will become your best friend.
8. Extract the Straight Talk XML from the zip file below and email it to your phone. Tap on the download and save.
9. In the file explorer find the folder called "Application Data> Volatile> Email Attachments> Attachments and find the XML. Cut and paste to the "provxml" folder in the root directory. There should be some XML's already in there that you would have seen when you were doing the windowbreak earlier. Another user told me that he didn't have the provxml folder so I instructed him to find the folders which have these existing XML's. They have names like "Gumi Test Bed, Suwon 2G Test Bed" and so forth.
10. Now go to diagnostic (##634#) and enter *#9908# to get to the GPRS settings. This is the same step you had to do during the windowbreak part of this program except now you will select the "StraightTalk" XML you put in at step 9. Save, reboot and Voila! You should have working data and MMS. Send a test message to another phone and reply with another MMS to make sure you're receiving.

Please note that I've recited these steps from my diminished memory of close to 50 years old and I may have forgotten a step. The most important things to consider are that you have to unlock with windowbreak and you have to get that Straight Talk XML in the proper folder. Once you can get step 10 out of the way you're golden. I won't ask for PayPal donations because others have done the leg work, all I've done is consolidate some files and info and put them together. For that, a simple "Thank You" is all I need. God bless you and God bless our troops overseas. :)

I am pretty adept at cracking these things -- and certainly tenacious enough. But I'm stuck so far. A couple of questions for fatclue_98 and anyone else as I try to implement the above with my Samsung Focus SGH-i917 for Net10 Wireless with their T-Mobile version SIM:

1. Do I need to pay $99 to become a developer to use Windows Phone SDK??? I've installed it and tried to use it to do the above, but got stuck right at the start.
2. Is there an xml file for Net10 similar to the StraightTalk.xml file referenced above? Or could I create one? Here's the APN settings that Net10 says I need to use in my Samsung Focus SGH-i917:
The only APN fields accessible to me on my phone are:
APN
User name
Password
Proxy server/URL
Proxy port

Here?s the settings Net10 says I need to have in place for their T-Mobile SIM in order for Data and MMS to work:
Field Smartphone Settings
Name net10
APN wap.tracfone
Proxy leave blank
Port 8080
MMSC http://mms.tracfone.com
MMS Proxy leave blank
MMS Port leave blank

Thanks for any help any of you can give me.

This is frustrating beyond belief.
Pete

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If anyone's interested, I created this file that works for Net10 (at least for me). It's not the settings that are currently listed on Net10's website (I think the settings on the website changed recently), but it's what I used on my phone and now I can send and receive MMS.

Attachments

• Net10.zip
    537 bytes · Views: 18

PeteGerhard

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
If anyone's interested, I created this file that works for Net10 (at least for me). It's not the settings that are currently listed on Net10's website (I think the settings on the website changed recently), but it's what I used on my phone and now I can send and receive MMS.

Can you get Internet data as well?

And how did you get net10.xml into place in your phone? Do I need a developer account (at $99) to do this?

Thanks!

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you get Internet data as well?

And how did you get net10.xml into place in your phone? Do I need a developer account (at $99) to do this?

Thanks!

Data is working fine for me, although I already had it working before using provxml. Just edit your apn settings (Settings -> Cellular -> edit APN) with APN = tfdata and the rest of the fields blank. I'm only on EDGE right now though because that's all my phone will support. I'm not sure if you have to do anything else for 3G.

The process for deploying provxml files is different for HTC phones than for Samsung, so I can't help too much with that. I'm running a fully unlocked ROM on my Trophy anyway so it was pretty easy for me. Did you try following the instructions above? You shouldn't have to pay for a dev account if you interop unlock using WindowBreak.

PeteGerhard

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Data is working fine for me, although I already had it working before using provxml. Just edit your apn settings (Settings -> Cellular -> edit APN) with APN = tfdata and the rest of the fields blank. I'm only on EDGE right now though because that's all my phone will support. I'm not sure if you have to do anything else for 3G.

The process for deploying provxml files is different for HTC phones than for Samsung, so I can't help too much with that. I'm running a fully unlocked ROM on my Trophy anyway so it was pretty easy for me. Did you try following the instructions above? You shouldn't have to pay for a dev account if you interop unlock using WindowBreak.

I tried "tfdata" in the APN field. Didn't work.

I started with an unlocked phone.
I got through the first 4 steps of fatclue-98's sequence in my post above. At step 5, where I try "go to the SDK app "Application Deployment and install the WP7 Root Tool" -- I don't have a registered phone, so this won't work. My limited research tells me that at this point I need to be a registered developer (by paying $99!).
So, I haven't been able to get into the guts of my phone.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried "tfdata" in the APN field. Didn't work.

I started with an unlocked phone.
I got through the first 4 steps of fatclue-98's sequence in my post above. At step 5, where I try "go to the SDK app "Application Deployment and install the WP7 Root Tool" -- I don't have a registered phone, so this won't work. My limited research tells me that at this point I need to be a registered developer (by paying $99!).
So, I haven't been able to get into the guts of my phone.

Are you using an AT&T or T-mobile SIM? I'm using an AT&T SIM. Maybe the settings are different for T-mo SIMs.

As for deploying the xap, I thought that WindowBreak will dev and interop unlock your phone, but I'm not sure about that since I don't have a Samsung phone. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs