Impressions/Reviews

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Nice to hear jonathan. Welcome to WPCentral :D I'm coming from iPhone as well. Will be my first WP7. I think its a fair statement to make that this will be the first WP7 device to a lot of people.
I as comparing a statement about weight by a few people above. Got me to think that i didnt feel it was too heavy because i have my iPhone in an Otter case, so that kinda makes the iPhone heavy. So i guess i'm used to that weight and the naked Lumia 900 felt about the same.
Since I'm not planning on covering this beauty with ugly clothes, the weight should be bearable for me.
I'm also planning on waiting for white. But I'm known to have little patience.. so time will tell.

I've held bricks, I've held microwaves. It's not that heavy haha! I know I won't be sporting a case. It's too good to be covered up. Just like the iPhone is too good of a phone to be covered up as well, but it needs it. I enjoyed the weight, and I just know im going to be rocking a screen protector. I have some for my iPhone, I hate having finger prints on the screen.

Last edited:

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Welcome MiguelJonathan and thanks for your reply! What did you think about the screen fluidity? Any lag?

I completely forgot to add that on my mini review. I noticed a little lag. My first thought of all the videos I've seen on the phone. It was fast on the videos, but when I played with the guys phone. It was a little slow and I figured it had to deal with the apps this guy had opened. I know that WP is meant as a true multitasking phone. So I know too many apps must have been opened. I played with a Titan before and it was smooth and quick as butter. This one was fast, not quick. I'm not going to let that bring me down. Still have sometime so maybe there some kinks to get rid of.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah yeah a few of us felt this too. Seems as if the screen is a little weighed down or slow, need to press harder to get the right effect. Hopefully they recognize this and it is a software issue, not hardware.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure it is a software issue, when I restore my iPhone on windows. It lags not as responsive as when I restore on a Mac. I've done it several times to know what feels right and what feels slow and laggy. Plus cleaning the screen sometimes helps too, I tend to do a lot. Pretty sure everyone knows that though haha.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
When do you all think reviews will start showing up for the Lumia 900?

Well if people pre-order they'll get the phone on the 6th, maybe on Easter, usually takes a few days to review. Also, websites get the phone earlier as well, plenty of time to play with it, so they can get their reviews out there to the people who listen. Could possibly be up by Saturday, the 7th as well. Sometimes they come out weeks later, I think I just read a few reviews on the new iPad, it's been out for almost 2 weeks now. Seems like a lot of people want to get their hands on it as well. So, I am sure they'll want to get that information out quick as well. Hopefully sometime next week... :D

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
As much as I've grown to love this device I'm not yet 100% on board with it, so I will definitely need to check out some reviews beforehand to confirm that it's as good as I'd like it to be. Hopefully we'll start seeing reviews pop up early next week.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Went to the AT&T store this evening to see if I could play with a Lumia 900. I talked to a rep about it, she asked if she was allowed to show it to me, and when she got the green light she pulled out her cyan Lumia 900 and let me use it.

First impression: the device was trashed. the camera band was really, really scratched up, the screen was covered in fingerprints and oil, and there were even some discolorations on the top of the device that I assume was makeup. I was really surprised to see that the phone was in such poor shape - I asked the rep how long she had been using the phone and she said only a few days!

Using the device, I definitely noticed some lag when doing pretty much everything. I even put it side by side with my HTC Arrive and the Arrive was much more responsive and fluid at pretty much everything. That was really sad to see in person.

Another rep came over a few minutes later and let me see his black 900. It looked like he took a little better care of his device but the camera band was still very scratched up and the lag was still present.

I left the store feeling like the sky was falling, to be perfectly honest. I don't know what to think anymore.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Went to the AT&T store this evening to see if I could play with a Lumia 900. I talked to a rep about it, she asked if she was allowed to show it to me, and when she got the green light she pulled out her cyan Lumia 900 and let me use it.

First impression: the device was trashed. the camera band was really, really scratched up, the screen was covered in fingerprints and oil, and there were even some discolorations on the top of the device that I assume was makeup. I was really surprised to see that the phone was in such poor shape - I asked the rep how long she had been using the phone and she said only a few days!

Using the device, I definitely noticed some lag when doing pretty much everything. I even put it side by side with my HTC Arrive and the Arrive was much more responsive and fluid at pretty much everything. That was really sad to see in person.

Another rep came over a few minutes later and let me see his black 900. It looked like he took a little better care of his device but the camera band was still very scratched up and the lag was still present.

I left the store feeling like the sky was falling, to be perfectly honest. I don't know what to think anymore.
This is what I was afraid of.....the lag issue really is disappointing.....maybe too many background tasks due to their being new to WP7?

Last edited:

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
This is what I was afraid of.....the lag issue really is disappointing.....maybe too many background tasks due to their being new to WP7?

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "background tasks." My start menu has many, many more live tiles that either of the Lumia 900s that I used had.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "background tasks." My start menu has many, many more live tiles that either of the Lumia 900s that I used had.
If you hold down the back button it shows how many apps are open....or if you go into settings you can also find which apps are set to run in the background as well.

Is your phone updated to mango?

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
newbie question: how do you close the apps running in the background?
Its in settings ....swipe right to applications and it gives options to turn off individual background tasks.

You can also close apps by holding the back button...choose the open app then hit the back button again to close it.

Last edited:

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
If you hold down the back button it shows how many apps are open....or if you go into settings you can also find which apps are set to run in the background as well.

Is your phone updated to mango?

My phone is updated to Mango. I have five apps running in the background - is it common for WP7 to lag when there are several apps open in the background? I put my phone through the paces on a daily basis, using it for all kinds of stuff, and very rarely does it stutter.

I think I'll go back and check the settings of those Lumia 900s sometime soon.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My phone is updated to Mango. I have five apps running in the background - is it common for WP7 to lag when there are several apps open in the background? I put my phone through the paces on a daily basis, using it for all kinds of stuff, and very rarely does it stutter.

I think I'll go back and check the settings of those Lumia 900s sometime soon.
I have an HTC Surround...and it never slows down or stutters at all no matter what is open. I thought that maybe it could be a Nokia installed app that may be causing the problem on the 900 for some people.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
That's the first I've ever heard of the 900 lagging. Wondering if something was running on their wifi and was having trouble connecting.

Sent from my {Samsung Focus} using Board Express

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
That's the first I've ever heard of the 900 lagging. Wondering if something was running on their wifi and was having trouble connecting.

Sent from my {Samsung Focus} using Board Express

I'm in an LTE market, and it was connected to LTE. Wifi was not enabled. I went to dslreports.com/mspeed from the browser to try to test the network speed, but the network was too fast to get an accurate reading! I should've downloaded a speed test app but wanted to move on to other things.

sayamachiharu

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I checked out a Cyan Lumia 900 this week at an AT&T store here in NYC. As far as I am concerned, I did not see any lag with the animations and transitions on the device. The only thing I am worried about is that it took me several presses on the touchscreen to cycle through the tiles or the menu buttons. I don't know if I am a light presser or if Android (2.3, my current phone) has a more sensitive screen. It takes a bit of effort to press to get the result you want.... :confused:

Anyway, I'm still going to get the device and I am very excited :p:D

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I checked out a Cyan Lumia 900 this week at an AT&T store here in NYC. As far as I am concerned, I did not see any lag with the animations and transitions on the device. The only thing I am worried about is that it took me several presses on the touchscreen to cycle through the tiles or the menu buttons. I don't know if I am a light presser or if Android (2.3, my current phone) has a more sensitive screen. It takes a bit of effort to press to get the result you want.... :confused:

Anyway, I'm still going to get the device and I am very excited :p:D

What do you mean by this? Cycling through the tiles is just done by swiping up/down. If you mean the "multitasking" cards, holding down the <- key gives you the list then you just swipe.

Just misunderstanding the issue and am curious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077