Just Got My Lumia 900

thuannguy

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Could you please check if orange theme looks as smooth like the left one or serrated like the right one which I captured from my Lumia 800:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-800/187481.htm
smooth%20-%20spiked%20-%20small.png

Last edited:

wpnewbie

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Watup WPC!! If you have been keeping up with the Lumia you know that Nokia dropped over $20 mil for at&t employees to get their hands on these. I just got mine today (perks of the job) and I guess I'm a lil late to the party as some of my at&t counterparts have had their's for a few days according to this thread.

To be honest, I was never a big fan of WP7 but I've been very intrigued by the Lumia since it was announced so I'm looking to give Windows another shot. I'm a member of iMore.com and AC.com but I'm pretty new to WPC and I look forward to learning from everybody here so I can pass along the info to other customers. Figured I would post some quick pics to keep you excited about the device.

I'm trying to compile a list of must have apps/customizations to try out that will enhance the experience. In return I can try to answer any questions you have about the phone.

Lastly, the shameless plug... If you are in Columbus, OH come see me at the Morse rd store if you want to check out the device in advance!
Welcome to WP Central! I myself am new to WP 7 and am enjoying the experience. I recently posted no WPcentral to understand the OS better and i got some wonderful response ! I am waiting on Lumia 900 to release and i borrowed my friend's WP7 phone and have been using it for past 2 weeks check out all functions that WPCentral members shared....
Here is list I have been trying .. and i find them very good ... maybe you can educate your customers about the same .....

-Nokia Drive(GPS) which is free for life time and done NOT Use data from your data plan (Waiting for Nokia phone though ; someone in Office uses Nokia E7 he says GPS is great)
-Nokia Transport - it offers walking, bus, metro and tube directions for multiple cities around the world. (Waiting for Nokia phone)
-Integration with Xbox
-Integration with facebook/twiter
-Free 25Gb Storage from Skydrive
-Bing Vision : built in feature to use the camera to look up a book or an item's UPC code and find the best price online
-Local Scout function : It also tells you things to see and do and where to shop depending on where you are.
-Gasbuddy helps you find the cheapest gas near you
-Nokia Music and Zune are very good.
-Skype beta available ; Tango already exists and its great.
-You can search for movies and showtimes right on the device.
-Bing Music is another great feature that can help identify a random song you might hear while you're out

Business and office Needs :

-Lync and Share point access
-Integrated MS Office - Mails from Outlook great; better than any OS that i saw.
-Once the Good Enterprise Solutions app releases (depending on whether your company uses it) you should be able to access encrypted email

I really like the fact that you are open and willing to learn about other platforms to sell the devise ... Each OS has its positives and Negatives ... So far I am liking WP7 , iOS is also good ... but WP7 looks different , functions great and Nokia devise looks amazing ...

Good Luck with your sales ..

mhopii

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WP Central! I myself am new to WP 7 and am enjoying the experience. I recently posted no WPcentral to understand the OS better and i got some wonderful response ! I am waiting on Lumia 900 to release and i borrowed my friend's WP7 phone and have been using it for past 2 weeks check out all functions that WPCentral members shared....
Here is list I have been trying .. and i find them very good ... maybe you can educate your customers about the same .....

-Nokia Drive(GPS) which is free for life time and done NOT Use data from your data plan (Waiting for Nokia phone though ; someone in Office uses Nokia E7 he says GPS is great)
-Nokia Transport - it offers walking, bus, metro and tube directions for multiple cities around the world. (Waiting for Nokia phone)
-Integration with Xbox
-Integration with facebook/twiter
-Free 25Gb Storage from Skydrive
-Bing Vision : built in feature to use the camera to look up a book or an item's UPC code and find the best price online
-Local Scout function : It also tells you things to see and do and where to shop depending on where you are.
-Gasbuddy helps you find the cheapest gas near you
-Nokia Music and Zune are very good.
-Skype beta available ; Tango already exists and its great.
-You can search for movies and showtimes right on the device.
-Bing Music is another great feature that can help identify a random song you might hear while you're out

Business and office Needs :

-Lync and Share point access
-Integrated MS Office - Mails from Outlook great; better than any OS that i saw.
-Once the Good Enterprise Solutions app releases (depending on whether your company uses it) you should be able to access encrypted email

I really like the fact that you are open and willing to learn about other platforms to sell the devise ... Each OS has its positives and Negatives ... So far I am liking WP7 , iOS is also good ... but WP7 looks different , functions great and Nokia devise looks amazing ...

Good Luck with your sales ..

Great list. Exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks a ton I will try this out!!

wpnewbie

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Great list. Exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks a ton I will try this out!!
Some additional info ....
ESPN I am told is amazing on WP nokia Phone
CNN is exclusive on Nokia
Kindle App
Spotify - Music
Ask ziggy and tellme (Equal to Siri in iPhone)
MLB At Bat 2011: One of the best sports application for mobile device
GroupMe : your friends are grouped together via a phone number and when you text that number it sends the message to everyone
angry birds and Fruit Ninja games ...

From what I have seen in past 2 weeks all of the important ones that i saw on iOS and Android are available ..
There is no important app missing ...

thepickupbear

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

mhopii

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
What's missing from the app selection that you would like to see on WP?

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Good question. Here are a few apps off the top of my head. I will update when I get back to my Galaxy SII:

Handcent SMS: for more customization options for text including privacy inbox
tTorrent Pro
ES File Explorer
Google Voice app (not sure if there is an app on the Lumia or not)
Angry Birds Space (hopefully coming soon)
Draw Something
Pandora (heard there was an equivalent besides slacker??)
Dat Piff Mobile

Any suggestions on equivalent apps would be great.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Only one of those with an equivalent is Pandora, you can use MetroRadio or Radio Controlled (which scrobbles to Last FM also). Only issue is they use a bit of a hacked API to work, so sometimes they stop working. The developer of the API is good about doing the updates. He is a current Nokia employee and formerly worked at Microsoft.

Angry Birds Space is announced, but no real date.
Dat Piff Mobile exists (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/ba5bd643-a09e-46dd-bb0f-e04ad06101e0)

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Good question. Here are a few apps off the top of my head. I will update when I get back to my Galaxy SII:

Handcent SMS: for more customization options for text including privacy inbox
tTorrent Pro
ES File Explorer
Google Voice app (not sure if there is an app on the Lumia or not)
Angry Birds Space (hopefully coming soon)
Draw Something
Pandora (heard there was an equivalent besides slacker??)
Dat Piff Mobile

Any suggestions on equivalent apps would be great.

I'm always curious to see what I may be missing from other platforms and what people like.

Here are the equivalents that I know of and if anybody has any others then have at it:

tTorrent Pro= Torrent Buddy
Google Voice app = GoVoice
Angry Birds Space = definitely coming soon
Pandora= MetroRadio
Dat Piff Mobile= Mixtapes

thuannguy

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
thuannguy, I think you're essentially asking if this is a pentile display - which it is not - it's a true AMOLED. you should not see the same effect (I notice it all the time on my Kindle Fire).
Thanks thepickupbear. To me, that is the only downside of Lumia 800. Cannot wait to get my hands on a 900 :cool:

jameskk1

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Ive got a NEST thermostat... really wish they would release a Nest app for WP.. also, wish the ESPN Scorecenter app did push notifications like the iPhone version.

mhopii

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Only one of those with an equivalent is Pandora, you can use MetroRadio or Radio Controlled (which scrobbles to Last FM also). Only issue is they use a bit of a hacked API to work, so sometimes they stop working. The developer of the API is good about doing the updates. He is a current Nokia employee and formerly worked at Microsoft.

Angry Birds Space is announced, but no real date.
Dat Piff Mobile exists (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/ba5bd643-a09e-46dd-bb0f-e04ad06101e0)

You, sir, just gained about 10 cool points with me for pointing out the Dat Piff Mobile App!! Thank you Thank you!!

I'm always curious to see what I may be missing from other platforms and what people like.

Here are the equivalents that I know of and if anybody has any others then have at it:

tTorrent Pro= Torrent Buddy
Google Voice app = GoVoice
Angry Birds Space = definitely coming soon
Pandora= MetroRadio
Dat Piff Mobile= Mixtapes

I will add Torrent Buddy and GoVoice to my list of apps to try thanks Diddy

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
What a fantastic thread!!

mhopi, you are more than welcome on WPC, you are a breath of fresh air. A service rep interested in making sure his customers get the device they want and understand its limitations and advantages??? Outrageous!! How do you survive?? :)

The 900 looks great. I am sure you can tell, we love our OS here on WP Central, and we all understand Nokia is the best chance we have for it to thrive. I am very thankful for your posts. Here is hoping you will give WP the chance to win you over. If not, thank you for the information, pictures, open mind and the professionalism at your job!!!

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
God, that phone looks really nice! I'd just work for free for AT&T just to sell that thing! Not to mention I'm with T-Mobile! haha :)

I hope you have an excellent time selling this phone. It's definitely an uphill battle since it's a new phone/os jumping in a HUGE field of Android and the ever so sleek iPhone. Keep coming to WPCentral for support! A lot of guys here are experts with the Windows Phone platform.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
A few apps to try out:

Baconit for Reddit
Carbon for Twitter
Flixster for movies (IMDb is also pretty neat)
iHeartRadio for Pandora-like streaming
PrimeTube/Youtube Pro for YouTube (Metrotube was better but got pulled)
Thumba Photo Editor for... photo editing
Weatherflow for weather
Weave for RSS
WikiPanda for Wikipedia

And of course, the WPCentral app :]

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I like that mhopi has an open mind about WP and didn't blow it off after 2 days.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

npyle

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Ive got a NEST thermostat... really wish they would release a Nest app for WP.. also, wish the ESPN Scorecenter app did push notifications like the iPhone version.

I too have a NEST thermostat and contacted NEST earlier this year to inquire about a WP7 app...they indicated they couldn't discuss future plans, but they've noted this going forward. Hope it comes soon.

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Eff Pandora. If they won't support WP7 then I won't support them anymore. With the new iheartradio and last.fm and others that do support us then eff 'em say I.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb