My Experience with Lumia 800

tintin123456

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I really like Lumia 800. Absolutely gorgeous phone. I was using the North America version of Lumia 800 in AT&T's network, and I have absolutely no problem. I don't know anything about Windows Phone 7.5 OS, so I couldn't play with the deep deep hidden settings and hidden features, but the phone works flawlessly just out of box.

But, I am so frustrated about a few missing feathers which are essential for PIM-centric users. These are so little minor stuffs that Nokia could have added them if they ever cared to think about them. But, not having them is almost a deal-breaker for me.

1. No Message/Call LED Indicator: There is no way to know if I missed a call, or if I have received e-mails in my business Outlook or personal Yahoo account. I cannot believe Nokia leftout a multicolor LED in Lumia 800. Even the old E61 had a white LED. This is an absolute deserter for me. My main use of a phone is responding e-mails and checking calendar etc. I need a multicolor LED indicator like Blackberry (w/ BeBuzz).

2. No way to install customized Message and Alert Tones: Can you believe it? Most of the inbuilt tones are non-business like noise. I have RCP business tones, which I can easily upload and use in any phone, but cannot use them in Lumia 800 as ring tone or alert tone or message tone.

These should not big deals for Nokia, but Nokia didn't care to think about them. I am so frustrated. :mad:

Looks like I will go back to Blackberry.

Any thought? Am I missing something?

Tintin

Last edited:

olivercollings

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe do a little research before buying your next phone.

I have to say, if you are a business user than the features you mentioned are very useful. As a business user too I also require those features. So as you would expect I bought a Blackberry as it does what it says on the tin.

I also have Lumia 800 and I use that for personal use. I checked the features of the phone before I bought it so to be honest I have little sympathy for you. I would perhaps buy a Blackberry for business if those are the features you are looking for and try to enjoy the Lumia as a personal phone as it is a brilliant phone and operating system.

:p

knudsen81#WP

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello

I got a Lumia 800 white yesterday and it's my 3. wp, i got the Mozart first then Titan and now lumia and i must say it's the best wp i tried, the feel and looks of it is amazing.

Battery life is also great i have 1 day 2 hours on one charge, my phone before was Galaxy Nexus and with same use i only got 10 hours of battery so i'm very happy

eyewitnss

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I got a Lumia 800 white yesterday and it's my 3. wp, i got the Mozart first then Titan and now lumia and i must say it's the best wp i tried, the feel and looks of it is amazing.

Battery life is also great i have 1 day 2 hours on one charge, my phone before was Galaxy Nexus and with same use i only got 10 hours of battery so i'm very happy
I too have had a great experience with the Lumia. While my last phone let me customize just about everything (N900), it did become burdensome. The Lumia works perfectly for me and my use.

empemp

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
@tintin: I think your concerns belongs to the OS itself, not Nokia. :)
Up to now, the current WP OS, Mango, is still not "open enough" for 3rd party & personalization.
Hope that MS will improve this point in Apollo version.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I came from BlackBerry as well, but I disabled the LED altogether on it because I thought it was annoying :blush:

So naturally I?m not missing that a whole lot. As for message tones I only ever had a tone on my texts and the standard Nokia Message tone is perfect for me....

Hard to say that I do not miss some aspects of the BB, but for most parts the Lumia outshines the Bold. (In My Oppinion)

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
if you don't mind pressing the power button to look at the lock screen you can see notification for each thing you were looking for, at least thats what i do... only BB does LED right, i use to have LED on my previous phone, but i don't feel the need for it now

as for alert tone, can't help you there... its MS that did it, still not sure why, but i guess its on lower priority, i think they will fix this in wp8

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I am looking forward to the Apollo devices as Nokia probably will bring some of its small but useful Symbian touches to its devices.

But honestly? Your complaints doesn't seem much of a deal breaker. I will keep 2 phones in your position, but hey, to each his own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett