Who is leaving apple or android? What have you used?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I had tried my friends' and co-workers' Windows Mobile phones and really disliked them, I stayed on dumb phones for years, I wasn't big on texting and didn't want to move to AT&T so I wasn't going to go to a Smart Phone as iPhone was the only option back then. But then in 20(09?) I tried the HTC Droid Incredible and fell in love with that phone. Picked it up shortly after it was released which was more difficult than I would have thought because they were selling so fast.

Something about that phone that spoiled me was that the release models had an AMOLED screen. The screen was a Samsung and was the best screen on a smart phone at the time. Shortly after the release Samsung brought out it's new phones and stopped selling the screens to HTC (or some disagreement). The LCD replacement was terrible, and I saw this trend in other Android phones.

My love for the Incredible started to die after waiting forever for updates, in fact it was a full year after the 2.3 release that it came to my phone, which was the same week that I ordered an off-contract HTC Trophy from Ebay. I really didn't want to give up my AMOLED screen but really wanted to try WP7 because my co-workers were all using it (we're Microsoft developers). The Incredible also had issues after it's Froyo update that my texts would sometimes go to the wrong person. (When I pressed send I could actually see the contact in the contacts list CHANGE). Also constant crashes and restarts and hacks to try to make the phone work correctly...

I love WP7, unfortunately the Trophy is not my favorite phone, it is the same hardware as the outdated HTC Incredible but had a lower end screen and camera. The HTC Incredible had the BEST camera on a US Android Handset for its time, and I'm sure was better than any other US Carrier smart phone including the iPhone. I don't get how this didn't have more publicity but whatever, it is long past now. And seeing how it is long past I'm disappointed with cameras on phones yet today.

I have my Lumia 900 on pre-order, I am switching to AT&T and had the handset ordered at a price of $0. I really really can't wait. I do wish the resolution of the screen was higher (since I'm going to a bigger screen but same resolution) but atleast it is better screen techonology so I really can't wait to play with it and as long as you don't hold it right up to your face I'm sure that the screen will look beautiful. The other disappointment is the camera, it looks excellent in well lit situations but it's low-light is worse than expected. We will see how it fairs but it is looking worse in low light than my Incredible was. I guess there is nothing to do there as there isn't much competition.

I also have a feeling with WP7 that there is an issue with the camera software itself. It seems like none of the phones take very good pictures and I'd really expect the Focus S to be better than it is. The Focus S is an excellent phone, and if the Lumia hadn't been coming I would have probably switched to that in June when my Verizon contract is up. That being said, I'll be paying an early termination fee to switch to AT&T which I'm sure is their intent with the $100 off for new subscribers deal.

One last gripe which I have meantioned previously is the location of the charge and headphone port. I really do wish the charge port was on the bottom of the phone. It seems like with the speaker placement it should be on the top, but I fully understand why it is on the bottom, because most commonly people will put the phone down in front or to the side of them when using speaker phone. Again with the charge port on top, this phone is not dockable without some creativity or if the OS can rotate upside down in portrait, which would be acceptable. And I really think the Zune HD nailed having the headphone port on the bottom, it made the headphones wires less of a mess.

Picture of my car from my HTC Incredible:
Click to view quoted image

personally i like the headphone port on top since i plug my phone into my car's stereo and a bottom port really messes up my cup holder method of keeping it from flying around the car. i agree with the bottom charge port, not really sure why they went with it on top, but it's still better than HTC's bizarre side placement of their charging ports, since the cable is ALWAYS in the way if you have to answer the phone when it's charging.

my focus s seemed to take better pictures than my galaxy note though, so i'm hoping the l900 camera is at least as good as that one.

oh, and i left android and apple for wp7 when i got my OG focus a while back, left verizon for wp7 too since the stupid trophy wasn't something i was going to sign a 2yr for, been with them since they were airtouch and i haven't regretted going to att once yet. getting on that underutilized LTE network with the l900 will be the icing on the cake. :)

i've had an iphone4 and probably 13 various android devices and of all of them, i've been the happiest for the longest with wp7.

kurosawa79

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Went from Symbian back in the early 2000s to Palm OS to Blackberry briefly then to the original Droid, then to Desire HD then to Galaxy S 2 then now to Lumia 800. I also use an iPad 2 for work.

I have to say i dont mind any of the operating systems I have used (perhaps the exception is Symbian, but then again, smartphones were in their infancy back then). I like Android because of the level of customisation that can be applied but the stability and battery wastage can be shocking at times. I also got sick of constantly flashing my phone with different ROMs...I just wanted to use one that was stable, fast and easy on the battery.

iOS is great because of the plethora of apps available. My iPad has made my work a lot easier and it's fun to game on once in a while too. But I never wanted an iPhone. I have my wife's iPhone going off next to me every other minute and to see that everyone else has an iPhone just puts me off. The only gripe against iOS is the staid and backward UI. Rows and rows of app icons is just dull after a while.

So last week I took a plunge and got the Lumia 800 and absolutely love it. I even think the camera is great with a bit of tweaking! My only two gripes about WP 7 at the moment is that it does not support VPN (near crucial for me as I work in a country that filters the internet) and tethering has not come to the Lumia 800 yet.

If both of those problems can be fixed at some point in the not too distant WP is a keeper for me. Cant believe I am actually enjoying a MS product!?!?!

nascarnate326

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and now I will be powering off my faithful iPhone 4.

I have been a huge Apple supporter but there is just something about the Lumia that made it love at first sight lol.

I think apple got "out appeled" by nokia on the design of the lumia.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Started with a plethora of Symbian phones from Nokia. Then went to Windows Mobile for a while. HTC Touch Diamond was a horrendous phone I must add. Then went back to Nokia's Symbian range. Then finally switched over to the Galaxy S and now presently the S2. I have to say I am sick and tired of flashing custom roms to make the phone work the way I want it to.

Gifted my sister an Omnia W (Focus Flash) and fell in love with WP. It's apparently releasing here in India by the end of this month or early next month. It's a full circle back to Nokia. Can't wait!

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Leaving Iphone 4. Boring phone, boring OS.

Will never use an android, my friend can pretty much hack into any Android phone. The security on that is a joke.

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
After three years of using a rooted android device I totally understand you. I just want to be able to pull a phone out of the box and have a fully functional phone that I don't have to tinker with and void my warranty just to uninstall carrier apps, and fix the numerous bugs that's it's released with. I just want a good daily driver

i am totally with you on that....but dont count out on rooting...cos its the wildest thing to do on a wp. I have the sgs rooted with cm9...but i had an att fuze prior to that wm6.1...rooted the phone and installed wm6.5, android, ubuntu...the beauty of windows..see xda was for wm and not android..although it rules the roost there now. so its hello there windows my old friend!!!!

Last edited:

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
First smartphone/pda
Palm Zire 72 ---> Dell Axim x30 ---> iphone ---> iphone 3g ---> Blackberry Torch ---> Galaxy S ---> HTC Surround ---> Focus ---> Titan ---> Nokia 900.

Also had an nook color and asus transformer at one point

I've used quite a few devices. Sold all the others on ebay except for the Titan... because I'm waiting on the Lumia.

had to do this FOR YOUR AVATAR!!!
" EXTERMINATE......EXTERMMMMMINATTTTTEEEEE......DOCTOOOOORRRR

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Leaving Iphone 4. Boring phone, boring OS.

Will never use an android, my friend can pretty much hack into any Android phone. The security on that is a joke.

By hack I think your friend means rooting which is something completely different.

Anyway currently on a HTC G2 right now and since my upgrade isn't due until next year I'm probably going to grad luminary 710 off of ebay over the summer to hold me over.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
By hack I think your friend means rooting which is something completely different.

Anyway currently on a HTC G2 right now and since my upgrade isn't due until next year I'm probably going to grad luminary 710 off of ebay over the summer to hold me over.

Its his job. Hacking, rooting, whatever you want to call it.

Regardless, its easy, assuming you got the right tools and right groups to share knowledge.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I just came off an 18 month stint with the Droid X on Verizon. Tons of lag and many hard resets. Jumped in on the HTC Trophy and loving it. I know its not very high end phone, but it is more pleasant to use than my old X. Never going to look back again. I'm anxious to see what Verizon is going to bring to the table for WP.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid Incredible on Verizon, and I'm waiting to see if a new WP comes out on Verizon by October. Sadly, my mom no longer wants to dish out the $300 a month for our plan, and will be cancelled when my contract runs out.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I just came off an 18 month stint with the Droid X on Verizon. Tons of lag and many hard resets. Jumped in on the HTC Trophy and loving it. I know its not very high end phone, but it is more pleasant to use than my old X. Never going to look back again. I'm anxious to see what Verizon is going to bring to the table for WP.

i really hope they can get on board when apollo comes out. verizon has fast become the worst provider when it comes to phone selection (again) provided you don't want one of their 9 million identical droids or the iphone.

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Currently using the original Samsung Focus and my contract is not up until mid July but the wife is ready for an upgrade so I have the Lumia 900 on pre-order for her in blue. She curretly has a BB Torch and hates it (although I think some of the hate comes from lack of knowing how to use it properly!!) ssshhh don't tell her that.

Anyway, WP7.5 and Nokia FTW!!

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Leaving Android and iOS for good here.

iOS - 3g,3gs,4g
Android - evo, galaxy, galaxy s2

Im with u on that buddy. Been thru iphone 4, 4s, droid razr, galaxy nexus, and a ton of androids before that. Im done with iso and android. Hopefully vzw hurries up and gets a nice wp7 phone so i can go back with their service

chrise2

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had everything but Android and WP 7. I'm getting one because its different and I like to try new things. If I like it, I'll spread the word. If I don't like it, I'll spread the word too. Also, our company is like a super Microsoft Partner and I told our CTO that at least one person should have one. So I got work to pay for mine. Yoink.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos