Anyone else worried about future support?

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Quick backstory: I've been off contract with AT&T since March of last year. November of last year I got a Samsung Focus off contract with the intent of getting a new phone on contract once Windows Phone 8 launched.

But then Nokia had to go and make an awesome phone. I want this hardware. While the Focus was my first smartphone, other than the screen the physical hardware felt old from day one. Waiting until November for a new phone is going to seem like an eternity with the 900 out there.

On the other hand, we have no idea if existing devices will get some form of the Apollo update. If we had the info that at least Mango phones would get a watered down version of the update, I would be more comfortable getting the 900. I would probably wait until January or February, break contract, then get a shiny WP8 device.

Since the future of Windows Phone is so unclear, I keep going back and forth on getting the Lumia 900. Does anyone else feel this way?

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion nokia and Microsoft would be crazy if they decided not to update this phone or give it a crippled update just to sell an updated model the specs should sell it not limited software. Honestly I would be angry of they take an apple approach and limit features to older devices. Would be more pissed if they decide to go the Android rout and just not update older phones.. So I'm my opinion get the phone you have nothing to worry about if you like the hardware your good, unlike android windows phone doesn't need two gigs of ram and a quadcore processor to be quick and consistent without the frequent lag you see here and their on Android devices

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion nokia and Microsoft would be crazy if they decided not to update this phone or give it a crippled update just to sell an updated model the specs should sell it not limited software. Honestly I would be angry of they take an apple approach and limit features to older devices. Would be more pissed if they decide to go the Android rout and just not update older phones.. So I'm my opinion get the phone you have nothing to worry about if you like the hardware your good, unlike android windows phone doesn't need two gigs of ram and a quadcore processor to be quick and consistent without the frequent lag you see here and their on Android devices

perfectly said my friend...

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's what people seem to forget: just because Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company, doesn't mean there's no real people, like you and I, running the joint. They know as well as we do that if they want to stay relevant, past phones MUST get WP8. There's just no way around it. They will fail, hard, if they don't. I'm not worried about that at all, though it would be nice to hear a "yes" at this point.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
The specs make me worry about future support. WP7 is wonderfully efficient, but this phone was cutting edge in 2010 specs-wise, and WP8 could be a very different kettle of fish.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
In my ****** heart I agree. Why put out a phone and push it hard as they will be if you're not going to update it for people that have it for the next two years?

On the other hand, if they know they can update it, why not just say "yes"? I think that's because Microsoft themselves aren't entirely sure, which worries me.

grasshoper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I read that it may have the WP8 upgrade, but I also read on another blog that it may not have it, so future will tell I think...

They would be crazy to not push it to upcoming phones though, all the more from Nokia !

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It will most certainly be interesting.

It is to their advantage to give all phones WP8 as that encourages more developers for apps and a growing marketshare on the new platform.

The thing that I don't get at this point is the very low end devices that Tango is supposed to be made for. I can only assume these low end devices will feature Tango with no upgrade to WP8. Also it is curious when Windows 8 will merge into Windows Phone. Is it on WP8 or will it be on WP9? That makes a big difference in the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss