Amused By Nokia Lumia 900 Hysteria?

chomsky11

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Just had a thought regarding all the hype and press that's getting thrown at the Nokia Lumia 900. Now, don't get me wrong...the Lumia looks like a seriously cool device and you have to give Nokia credit for throwing all of its resources behind both the Lumia line and WP7.

However, as Focus S owners, don't you feel a little bit like "well, I've had an almost identical device in my pocket for months now?" Let's break it down...

-4.3 inch AMOLED display with near endlessly deep blacks and Gorilla Glass: check.
-1.4 GHz processor: check.
-8 MP rear facing and 1MP+ front facing cameras: check.
-16 GB internal memory: check.
-Huge, long-lasting battery: check.
-Modern, sophisticated design: check.
-Up-to-date Mango OS: check.
-Manufacturer software suite: check.

The only things I see that really differentiate these two phones are the fact that the Lumia runs on "true" 4G LTE, and that it, um, comes in blue. Am I missing a reason why this phone is THAT big a leap forward, aside from strictly in the marketing sense? :happy:

Last edited:

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
You are right in some regards but there is a reason to be excited. Dedication. I also am a Focus S user and will admit that the two phones are almost identical. This was my first Wp7 phone and it made me fall in love with the OS. But the OS lacks a champion. A true device that can say "I am WP7". And I believe this is what the 900 is.

Nokia has put all its eggs into the WP7 basket. They have already done more for the community than Samsung or HTC with the few apps they have created. They have done more firmware updates on the 800 than we have seen on any other handset. They are dedicating themselves to the OS in the same way that you can say Samsung and Motorola has to Android.

This is exactly what WP7 needs. We need a champion, a recognized face that showcases what what it can do. The iPhone generation does not see specs. They see great hardware design with an intuitive user experience. With the 900, we we now have that as well.

I have mine ordered even though I got my Focus S in December. I cannot say no to that gorgeous exterior. My Focus looks like any other GS2 and im tired of explaining that it's actually different. We We need this phone and I hope that all current WP7 users and advocates can truly understand why. I'll get off the soap box now :p

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I love Windows Phones, but this hype is just marketing. The phone is really quite the same as other Windows Phone devices, such as the Focus S (this is spec speaking).

Nokia is a nice manufacturer, in the sense that it is truly supporting it's Windows Phone devices (mostly because it has to, it has no other option).

I'm amused by the hype because in my mind, Microsoft needs to do the marketing, and it needs to do it heavy and hard. Just like Apple did. Microsoft has the unique OS, it has the unique design and offerings, I believe it just does not have unique marketing. It almost seems like Windows Phone 7 was never truly meant to succeed, its just a "market test" for Windows Phone 8. This is a classic Microsoft strategy in my opinion (one that I kinda dislike).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You are right in some regards but there is a reason to be excited. Dedication.

Not just dedication, they're also bringing the Nokia ecosystem and support which includes exclusive apps (like a full fledged GPS) and software updates. Nokia is constantly trying to step their game up, so is HTC to some extent. HTC has not only released numerous phones but several ROM updates and an improving ecosystem. They recently released full offline maps for HTC phones to compete with Nokia Drive. Samsung is woefully lagging in the ecosystem and support categories, releasing phones and doing little to nurture them afterwards.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Not just dedication, they're also bringing the Nokia ecosystem and support which includes exclusive apps (like a full fledged GPS) and software updates. Nokia is constantly trying to step their game up, so is HTC to some extent. HTC has not only released numerous phones but several ROM updates and an improving ecosystem. They recently released full offline maps for HTC phones to compete with Nokia Drive. Samsung is woefully lagging in the ecosystem and support categories, releasing phones and doing little to nurture them afterwards.

Good points! I have to say though, my Focus S was an outstanding phone right out of the box, doesn't need any more nurturing. ;)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
While it does have it's faults, I love my focus s. The body doesn't really bother me, it actually seems quite sturdy. Besides, I've always used a case with my phones. I get annoyed when I reboot having to turn off the auto intensity setting, but otherwise it's been a great phone.

That said, I'm getting the 900 to replace my focus s, mainly because I'm a gadget freak and I always want the latest and greatest. If nokia releases a 1000 I'm sure i'll get that as well.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I love my Focus S too! If Apollo gives us voice guided nav, customizable sound profile settings, web page text wrap, a better PDF app, and easy voice-memo mms I would probably never consider another OS again. I know there are work arounds for most of this but it should be stock OS stuff.:cool:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Forgot two import things. Weight: 110.6G vs. 160G. I like the solid feel of the 900. And most importantly, the Lumia 900 is "not" made by Samsung. Not saying that Nokia makes the best phones. Just saying they make them better than Samsung. Those are enough reasons for me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I handled a 900 at the corporate store and wasn't that impressed. Definitely didn't feel like it was an upgrade over my S. The OS is the same, obviously, so no wow factor there. I have a case-mate tough case on the S and like the weight, feel and protection now but wondered how I would handle the 900, buy/install a case or no? The 900 is so heavy already and would be quite big with a case I think. Any thoughts on bulk and weight with case? Camera on the 900 didn't impress with the few test shots I took and I don't have lte in my area so, meh, I'll pass. Love wp7 but drooling over the HTC one x! Am i crazy, will i regret a move back to android?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That depends: Why are you "drooling" over the ONE? Is it the hardware, or is there parts of the Android OS you are missing? If it is just the hardware, yeah, you are crazy. WP8 will be able to compete with that. Don't move away from your "S" just to realize the fancy specs don't outperform your Sammy your on WP. You will kick yourself.

Now, if you have found WP does not meet your needs and wants like Android, than different story. Kinda hard to say "Stay, redeyss, Stay!!". Although I do hope you decide to keep the "S". But, if Android is a better OS for you, than the HTC ONE series may be a solid set of options. Personally, I would hold out to see the GS3 timeframe if I was going to Android just to compare, but that is just me.

And I am not super impressed with the 900 either. And that bothers me, because everyone in the WP Nation is better off if the 900 is a success.

chomsky11

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I handled a 900 at the corporate store and wasn't that impressed. Definitely didn't feel like it was an upgrade over my S. The OS is the same, obviously, so no wow factor there. I have a case-mate tough case on the S and like the weight, feel and protection now but wondered how I would handle the 900, buy/install a case or no? The 900 is so heavy already and would be quite big with a case I think. Any thoughts on bulk and weight with case? Camera on the 900 didn't impress with the few test shots I took and I don't have lte in my area so, meh, I'll pass. Love wp7 but drooling over the HTC one x! Am i crazy, will i regret a move back to android?
Not to steer off-topic in my own tread, but I'll never go back to Android. I came to the S after having a Droid Incredible for 2 years. Great hardware, HTC makes a solid device, but Android is just a mess right now. They have a "new" OS update that's 6 MONTHS old and is on less than 5 percent of Android devices. That's just ridiculous. Sat around endlessly waiting for 2.2 and 2.3, and when I realized that there never was going to be a 4.0 update for the DInc, I jumped ship.

I'm totally pleased w/WP7. Android always felt "half-baked", like it wanted desperately to be iOS but was always tip-toeing around copyright violations. It's always felt like an imitation. That's why I love WP7, it's something totally different, is beautiful and elegant and despite being 3 years behind in the market feels much more fully cooked than Android.

IMHO. :happy:

grasshoper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally pleased w/WP7. Android always felt "half-baked", like it wanted desperately to be iOS but was always tip-toeing around copyright violations. It's always felt like an imitation. That's why I love WP7, it's something totally different, is beautiful and elegant and despite being 3 years behind in the market feels much more fully cooked than Android.

I totally agree with that. I didn't buy a 900 but an 800 and I must say Windows Phone is the first OS to bring an amazing fluidity !!

I tested all 4 OSes (iOS, Android, webOS and now WP7) and while it is not the more mature OS, WP7 is the one that brings the best experience.

So I don't know what the 900 brings besides the 800 but I like the idea that more people will own a WPhone. It will push MS to improve the OS and we will maybe have a nice update to Apollo with decent notifications and a bit more customization options.

What I know is that with really nice desgin, sporting WP, and smooth experience I understand people wanting to jump into the 900. The price is also a something to take into consideration.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel the WP love out there! Note, two previous phones were HTC androids. It's really about three things for me;

UI ease of use.
Phone reception.
Camera quality.

WP blows android out of the water for everyday use. My S has never frozen and has barely had a hiccup in six months! I do get disappearing keyboard occasionally. How many times did I have to pull the battery out of my HTC androids? Many times!

Phone reception is somewhat better with the Samsung. I get comments of an echo on the other line a few times a month with or without the echo cancellation feature on/off.

Camera quality is average on the S, IMHO, and this is why I consider a move to HTC one. I take many pics a month of my family and the phone has become a tool to chronicle the life of my two and a half year old son. This is a priceless feature of a cell phone for me and would be the main reason for a move back to android. My HTC inspire took great pics.

In summary, i wait and watch for the reviews of the new crop of phones to come in and hope WP rises to the top. 16mp Titan II is a possible contender, yes? And as I wait Apollo update draws ever closer! :lol:

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
The One X looks nice but didn't really wow me. I am not a fan of the "lets put more power" when the OS is not gaining anything from it. It the reviews of the One X they say the One S out performs it and it is using a dual core. How does that make any sense?

I also felt like the design of the One X is a complete rip off of Nokia. Poly carbonate unibody?? Really??? That kind of turned me off just because it is so obvious where it comes from. Its like if a company made an all glass phone with a metal band.

Don't take this like me being a ****** because the One tempted me to get it. But than I remembered my issues with android and decided to continue my journey with WP7. The fragmentation is too great with them right now. To many devices act differently while running the same thing. I used to hate that some of my devices would auto pair with my BT speaker and headset while others would not. Bt no longer remains convenient when you have to pair it every time you are trying to use it.

Just some of my thoughts. I am enjoying my 900 and understand why some people don't find it to be a big deal. But remember, we still need to support it because this can change our OS' future.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Just had a thought regarding all the hype and press that's getting thrown at the Nokia Lumia 900. Now, don't get me wrong...the Lumia looks like a seriously cool device and you have to give Nokia credit for throwing all of its resources behind both the Lumia line and WP7.

However, as Focus S owners, don't you feel a little bit like "well, I've had an almost identical device in my pocket for months now?" Let's break it down...

-4.3 inch AMOLED display with near endlessly deep blacks and Gorilla Glass: check.
-1.4 GHz processor: check.
-8 MP rear facing and 1MP+ front facing cameras: check.
-16 GB internal memory: check.
-Huge, long-lasting battery: check.
-Modern, sophisticated design: check.
-Up-to-date Mango OS: check.
-Manufacturer software suite: check.

The only things I see that really differentiate these two phones are the fact that the Lumia runs on "true" 4G LTE, and that it, um, comes in blue. Am I missing a reason why this phone is THAT big a leap forward, aside from strictly in the marketing sense? :happy:

I think I look at it a little differently from you. While I will agree that the Focus S is very close to the Lumia 900 I think that LTE, the Nokia apps and yes coming in blue and white are big deals. Lets not forget that there are alot of people out there that were/are Nokia fans and are delighted that Nokia is now in the smartphone game.

I've had my Focus S for only three months and while I'm very interested in the 900 I will wait to see what Apollo brings. In the meantime I want the 900 to be a sucess because I believe in the saying "a high tide raises all ships" and we all will benefit from higher WP OS sales.

One last note. You call it hysteria, I see it as a result of a WP product finally being marketed and pushed. I hope it works

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I think I look at it a little differently from you. While I will agree that the Focus S is very close to the Lumia 900 I think that LTE, the Nokia apps and yes coming in blue and white are big deals. Lets not forget that there are alot of people out there that were/are Nokia fans and are delighted that Nokia is now in the smartphone game.

I've had my Focus S for only three months and while I'm very interested in the 900 I will wait to see what Apollo brings. In the meantime I want the 900 to be a sucess because I believe in the saying "a high tide raises all ships" and we all will benefit from higher WP OS sales.

One last note. You call it hysteria, I see it as a result of a WP product finally being marketed and pushed. I hope it works
^ This 100% I love the design of the 900, but I'm getting the S from the WPChallenge and can't wait for my first windows phone.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I think some or most of the hype is more from the people like me that have never owned a windows phone. Now this Nokia is my first windows phone and it does have a few things going for it. Good battery life and LTE. Those are usually two things you don't hear in the same sentence. The Lumia 900 does have a few faults though, bit for the most parts its good....just like the rest of them. Plus Nokia is a good company that is really making the big effort to stay relevant and make the world care about them again. Nokia is actually one of the first companies to totally go all in for the OS they believe in. Its more than just the phone. Its a bundle of things and the prospect of things to come

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12