Lumia 900 No Data on 3G/4G

techmack1414

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
FYI Guys, don't pin this on AT&T. In most cases your phones should have been set up with a new sim card. You should have called the number on the sheet of paper in side of your box or gone to the website to activate it. That would have provisioned the new sim card / data plan. Takes like 2 mins.

If you're continuing the have issues after that, remember the reps on this forum that had the devices way before the lumia was launched? THEY were even having this issue. I would pin this to be a nokia issue being able to talk to the AT&T network. If at&t reps and their support people cannot get it to work correctly, and I would think they should be able to provision everything easier than us calling into at&t, then something is wrong with the phone, not the network.

My guess is early adopter syndrome.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-900-ace/189050.htm

this is the thread where they were having the same issues way before the phone was launched.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
FYI Guys, don't pin this on AT&T. In most cases your phones should have been set up with a new sim card. You should have called the number on the sheet of paper in side of your box or gone to the website to activate it. That would have provisioned the new sim card / data plan. Takes like 2 mins.

If you're continuing the have issues after that, remember the reps on this forum that had the devices way before the lumia was launched? THEY were even having this issue. I would pin this to be a nokia issue being able to talk to the AT&T network. If at&t reps and their support people cannot get it to work correctly, and I would think they should be able to provision everything easier than us calling into at&t, then something is wrong with the phone, not the network.

My guess is early adopter syndrome.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-900-ace/189050.htm

this is the thread where they were having the same issues way before the phone was launched.

PLEASE look at the other thread, this has also happened to iPhones in the past and been mysteriously fixed. I would bet $1,000 that this is not an issue with the device.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
PLEASE look at the other thread, this has also happened to iPhones in the past and been mysteriously fixed. I would bet $1,000 that this is not an issue with the device.

That's right. I've read of Various other phones having this exact problem..Android and iPhone and Windows Phones....Since my data switched back on without any further help from me...I have to believe that this is an ongoing problem with AT&T checking the data connections and basically getting confused. ..Lets be honest....since the Lumia 900 preorder started the amount of phones using AT&Ts LTE has gone up....a lot.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I had already had ATT provision lte. It wouldn't allow any data to come through. I had them provision it while I waited for our town tower to come up again. I had no voice or data first whole day I got my lumia. The next day I did have voice but still no data after all the trials the first go round with ATT. The next rep was finally able to get in deeper to the problem and finally enable it. The last step after all of this was to do a hard reset which didn't bother me because I was only on my second day. Att was happy to know I was up and running and I've been doing great since. Great great speeds and awesome reception. Call or chat with them until your issues are solved.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The last step after all of this was to do a hard reset which didn't bother me because I was only on my second day. Att was happy to know I was up and running and I've been doing great since. Great great speeds and awesome reception. Call or chat with them until your issues are solved.

If you did a hard reset in the first place you wouldn't have needed to call At&t.

Jomon

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
This is getting really frustrating. I got my data connections back after hard resetting. Then I called AT&T to get my visual voicemail setup, the rep did something for like 30 minutes and after visual voicemail was enabled, poooooofffff my data connection dropped again. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is getting really frustrating. I got my data connections back after hard resetting. Then I called AT&T to get my visual voicemail setup, the rep did something for like 30 minutes and after visual voicemail was enabled, poooooofffff my data connection dropped again. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

not every CS rep was created equal...it took my guy 2 minutes to make the changes

if you feel like the CS rep is not informed then ask to be transferred to another guy who does know his stuff....it seems rude but well within your rights

Jomon

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I give up. Tried two different reps and they can't @!*!(@!@* figure it out. Now I only have bars on my phone with no 4G, 3G, E nothing. This is ridiculous.

relytcoop

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I spoke with AT&T, Lumia data connectivity is currently a known issue. You can request a service credit for the inconvenience. They expect a resolution by tomorrow and suggest powering down every hour to see if that fixes the problem.

nikkopol

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
no data

I got my Lumia 900 on Friday. I have the same problem (no data) and have contacted AT&T many times. Still no resolution. They told me to go to a store and get a new SIM (but all stores around here are closed today).

BTW, a "hard reset" does resolve the problem - at least for a little while. Of course, it wipes out your phone, so that's not really a solution going forward. I did a hard reset yesterday morning, and then everything worked great - data, LTE, visual voicemail - but it stopped working again last night. This is a real pain! I didn't expect to have to spend hours on tech support and setting up my phone over and over again.

And what's the deal with Microsoft not having a backup feature for Windows Phone? OK, there's a hack from xda that works fine, but c'mon!

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I got my Lumia 900 on Friday. I have the same problem (no data) and have contacted AT&T many times. Still no resolution. They told me to go to a store and get a new SIM (but all stores around here are closed today).

BTW, a "hard reset" does resolve the problem - at least for a little while. Of course, it wipes out your phone, so that's not really a solution going forward. I did a hard reset yesterday morning, and then everything worked great - data, LTE, visual voicemail - but it stopped working again last night. This is a real pain! I didn't expect to have to spend hours on tech support and setting up my phone over and over again.

And what's the deal with Microsoft not having a backup feature for Windows Phone? OK, there's a hack from xda that works fine, but c'mon!

Same story for me. Reset fixes it for awhile, but then it begins again. Yesterday they said it was not the SIM, now today they tell me it might be the SIM, but, as with you, will have to wait until the AT&T stores are open again tomorrow. Absent this and subpar LTE on AT&T (a third of what I got on Verizon LTE- I have a theory on this- I think AT&T is capping LTE speeds at around 10 or 12 MB/s whereas Verizon does it at 30), a great phone. I really like windows phone. I've had all four generations of iPhones, multiple Android phones, and the Focus S (which I loved but it had some issues), and the Lumia 900 is by far my favorite.

haleme

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
at least 2-3 weeks, mind you i went through 3 Titans and all had the same problem
I am the OP. I had a Titan (2 of 'em) and bailed to get a Lumia to escape the no connectivity problems on the Titan. Either there is an AT&T network/provisioning problem or there is some odd bug in the Windows Phone OS for network switching.

haleme

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how much my experience relates to the OP's problem, because the store person should/would have known, but: Any time you insert a sim card into a new/different phone, att has to switch you over. You can make phone calls, but data services will not work until you are granted permission by att, the owner of your card. This is done routinely when you get the new phone from a store because your salesperson has to call att to activate your phone.

I learned this when I thought I'd be able to use an unlocked BlackBerry Pearl as a weekend device, or whenever I preferred to carry a tiny phone in my jeans change pocket. I was able to use the phone, but if I wanted to use my data plan for mail or anything else, I had to call att each time I wanted to switch back and forth. I returned the BB.

It may be that for those getting 900s through the mail, you may need to call att to get switched over and activate a data plan (and perhaps to get socked for the usual theft: the activation fee).

Good luck to all in getting past these early challenges, which you will. :)
This has never been my experience with using Cingular/AT&T since 2001. I have never had to call AT&T to get a sim to work in a new phone and I have switched a lot of them. Sure your not thinking about Verizon?

haleme

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
This is such an odd problem. I called Friday night to get data turned back on after it stopped working that afternoon. Had to do the same thing at the same time again on Saturday. Now, today, it work great all day until about 5.00 or so. If I didn't know any better, I would swear that there is something in the AT&T system that is incorrectly updating my network settings around close of business and turing off data to my sim.

After reading every comment to this post, I am going to try a new sim tomorrow. A rep almost got me to hard reset the phone, but I wanted to sync up my Easter pics. Glad I read that the hard reset is a short term solution. I am now fully convinced that this an AT&T network/account problem and not the Nokia, Windows Phone OS or my former Titan. Going to call 611 in a few minutes to get my data turned back on for another 24 hours, and ask for a credit.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Today after having 5 bars of lte almost all day with no data....around 6pm data came back......almost seems like AT&T is rationing the data......this is absurd. The forums at the AT&T site are starting to mention the same problem.

update: At about 8:30pm...data is mysteriously gone again.

It's funny, I remember having a no data issue with my old BlackBerry 8900...a brand new replacement sim card fixed it. Has anyone actually switched a sim to a new one and fixed the problem?

Last edited:

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up, but my data has not turned off since it was fixed by att. I am just outside a major lte zone and do recieve lte here at my home. Funny how on my focus I would always drop to edge inside my apartment and now with the lumia its always on lte and only rarely goes down to 4g. Rosenberg, Tx just outside of Houston, Tx.

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up, but my data has not turned off since it was fixed by att. I am just outside a major lte zone and do recieve lte here at my home. Funny how on my focus I would always drop to edge inside my apartment and now with the lumia its always on lte and only rarely goes down to 4g. Rosenberg, Tx just outside of Houston, Tx.
How did AT&T fix it?

haleme

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
What did they do? This is my third day in a row of phone support from AT&T to get data working again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte