Lumia 900 No Data on 3G/4G

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
That's funny. My first card has the O after the 5 digits and it was a data mess. Now I have a G card in place and my data is working for the time being. Even after multiple reboots.

I'm just glad it's getting enough attention to demand a fix.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

rutvik19

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
--Slightly off topic--

I really hope this gets resolved soon, and the responsible party (MS/ATT/Nokia) issues a statement acknowledging the problem with a fix and a concise apology. I think any finger pointing, or just simply keeping quiet on the subject is going to leave a very bad taste in not only veteran WP users switching to the Lumia 900 but the new users willing to jump ship to try something new.

I really want WP and Lumia to succeed. I think being open and respectful to the customer is their only option, because unlike Apple with the antenna-gate, Nokia and MS don't really have that much social capital to spend at this early stage of the comeback. :straight:

I'll keep waiting for my Lumia 900 white, let's hope this will be a distance memory by then! :cool:

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I finally got a solid data connection by using the already described fixes...what I did
1 -shut off phone
2- removed sim
3-restarted phone and did a factory wipe.
4-left the sim out and set up phone like normal.
5-another factory wipe.
6-repeat steps 4+5
7-another wipe only this time don't start the setup...instead shut down.
8-install the sim ,turn on and setup like normal.

I did this and so far my data is strong using lte, 4G and 4G over the microcell. I've rebooted several times and data keeps coming back now.....so far so good.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got off of a 2 hour tech support phone call with AT&T that got escalated twice. Apparently the problem is supposedly with my SIM card that I have already had swapped twice and not the phone. So if you look at the SKU number on the actual SIM card, not on the larger credit card that you pulled it from, you will see a 5 digit number followed by a letter G or a letter O. So the G cards are the problem and they cause your data plan to push out as a 4G (NON-LTE) plan which eventually leads to the problem we are all having that can only be band aided by adding secondary APN information or hard resetting your phone.

Another thing I learned, apparently your phone is supposed to have blank APN information listed in the settings. The add APN button under cellular settings is to add a secondary cell network. Your primary APN is hidden and created by your SIM card. I was instructed to go to my AT&T store tomorrow morning where they would supply me with the correct LTE SIM card.

I will update here after my trip to let you all know if my problems are fixed.

I have a "G card" and was taken from my old iPhone 4 (side note: not the original sim that came with the iPhone 4, had it replaced before). The rep checked to see if it could be provisioned for LTE and said it checked out. Added the LTE data plan and I get LTE speeds using the bandwidth app to check. I've had zero data connection problems, my Phone switches seamlessly between LTE and my Microcell and HSPA+. Tried also turning on airplane mode and turning phone off and back on and then turning off airplay mode and it data still works (slow at reconnecting to my Microcell and actually picks up 2 bars of LTE where with my iPhone I had no service).

prathyushms

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
i tried this method:
hold the volume up button, power button and camera button together until the device shuts down and restarts.
now the data works fine now.... hopefully this will fix for others as well

bellyer1

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
So if you look at the SKU number on the actual SIM card, not on the larger credit card that you pulled it from, you will see a 5 digit number followed by a letter G or a letter O. So the G cards are the problem and they cause your data plan to push out as a 4G (NON-LTE) plan which eventually leads to the problem we are all having that can only be band aided by adding secondary APN information or hard resetting your phone.

My phone is experiencing the problem and my SIM ends in the letter 'O'. This continues to lead me to believe that AT&T has no idea what they are talking about. None of the APN "fixes" have worked on my phone either. I just want my phone fixed!

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Evidently the AT&T store had no idea what they were talking about when we bought our Lumia 900s there yesterday. They assured me they knew what IEMI numbers were a problem and had pulled those from their stock. My Lumia 900 worked leaving the store. This morning I decided to reboot it and guess what... no 4G or 3G connectivity. It began working only when I got LTE.

I am furious that AT&T and NOKIA have not stepped forward and said "this is our problem" and "this is how we'll fix it for you".

I just threw away an unlimited data plan at Verizon for a headache at AT&T. :mad:

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I finally got a solid data connection by using the already described fixes...what I did
1 -shut off phone
2- removed sim
3-restarted phone and did a factory wipe.
4-left the sim out and set up phone like normal.
5-another factory wipe.
6-repeat steps 4+5
7-another wipe only this time don't start the setup...instead shut down.
8-install the sim ,turn on and setup like normal.

I did this and so far my data is strong using lte, 4G and 4G over the microcell. I've rebooted several times and data keeps coming back now.....so far so good.

Like all the fixes, this works for awhile, then the problem returns a day or two later.

haleme

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I got a new sim yesterday afternoon. So far I have not lost data, but I don't think LTE is working now. Switching to Wifi is working without loosing data too. Too afraid to restart right now.

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
i tried this method:
hold the volume up button, power button and camera button together until the device shuts down and restarts.
now the data works fine now.... hopefully this will fix for others as well

Like all the fixes, this works for awhile, then the problem returns a day or two later.

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Basically, I have tried every fix in this and other forums. They all work awhile (a day or two), then the problem returns.

I called AT&T LTE tech support again this morning and this is clearly a problem they are experiencing. The tech support person essentially acknowledged that they do not know what is causing the problem and that they are reading these and other forums to see what users are saying. He basically says they do not know how widespread the problem is, but the best I can do for now is to get another replacement phone since none of the fixes work permanently that I have tried. This individual was very impressive and seemed genuinely up on the problem and wants a solution, but as of yet there is none.

bellyer1

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Having contacted AT&T customer care a second time on this issue, they have now told me that any methods other than just returning the SIM and/or phone are just temporary fixes. They said that it is not worth my time to go through any troubleshooting steps because it is very likely that the problem will reoccur and they would not want to put me through the trouble of reinstalling apps and such after a factory reset, if the problem is just going to occur again.

I guess I'm headed to my local AT&T store in 45 minutes to swap our my phone for a new one.

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I got a new sim yesterday afternoon. So far I have not lost data, but I don't think LTE is working now. Switching to Wifi is working without loosing data too. Too afraid to restart right now.

Even without restarting, the chances are very good that within 24 hours you will lose the data connection again and be back to square one. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I had the same experience. Left it on all night and by the morning the data connection was not working again.

statom

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I received my phone last Friday and all was working great until Sunday when my data stopped working. On Monday I spoke to 3 ATT reps that had me restart my phone and the third time it then worked later in the day the data stopped working again. I went to an ATT store and the rep claimed there was a memo going around about bad SIM cards so she replaced the SIM and the data started working again. Then this morning my data again stopped working. I tried those APN settings and none of that helped.

What did get my lumia connected again was, I turned the phone off for a few minutes and turned it back on. I called my cell from another phone and then tested the data and I was connected again. I'm not sure if the call made a difference but I did have the phone powered off for a few minutes and I am able to surf the web etc...

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
^^^^doing that causes a hard reset. Why don't you post that?? Trying to get people to loose all their info??

That doesn't do a hard reset. I've done it multiple times. And, any phone will prompt you should it hard reset. This doesn't prompt - it just shutsdown/reboots.

Last edited:

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure it's been reported here or not. Haven't been keeping that close of an eye on this thread as I've been unaffected by it. I saw on Twitter that Nokia Care (@NokieCareUS) indicated that the issue was being looked in to. May want to take to the Twitter-verse to get more attention. Which, I'm SURE they truly are investigating it heavly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos