Why are ebay/other stores trying to sell Lumia 900 for more than MSRP ($450?)

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it.

People on ebay trying to sell the Nokia lumia 900 for $500 and up. Best Buy and Walmart claim the MSRP is $550. Obviously Best Buy always jacks up the MSRP prices.

But ATT corp. stores and online stores sell the Lumia 900 for $450 plus taxes. I'd just go to the corp stores and pay retail. Because if there's an issue you can always exchange/return it. May at most pay a $35 restocking fee before 30 days if you are not satisified.

henilp89

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it.

People on ebay trying to sell the Nokia lumia 900 for $500 and up. Best Buy and Walmart claim the MSRP is $550. Obviously Best Buy always jacks up the MSRP prices.

But ATT corp. stores and online stores sell the Lumia 900 for $450 plus taxes. I'd just go to the corp stores and pay retail. Because if there's an issue you can always exchange/return it. May at most pay a $35 restocking fee before 30 days if you are not satisified.

oh when you sell it on eBay, i think you pay like 7% of the amount you sold it for to eBay as a fee. n this phone is worth much much more than even 500$s but at&t and nokia are heavily subsidizing so people get this phone instead of an iPhone or android.
this is what i think, im not entirely sure.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
oh when you sell it on eBay, i think you pay like 7% of the amount you sold it for to eBay as a fee. n this phone is worth much much more than even 500$s but at&t and nokia are heavily subsidizing so people get this phone instead of an iPhone or android.
this is what i think, im not entirely sure.

The cost to manufacture this phone is peanuts compared to other phones. Nokia being payed billions by Microsoft to make them, and they're using older-model components, which are cheaper.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
thats got to be a msitake on Bestbuy`s site.

bestbuy is a re-saler for AT&T so things cant be more expensive.... normaly resalers will have cheaper prices , lol.

at&t = 450
at&t bestbuy = 550

no way that makes sens.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
thats got to be a msitake on Bestbuy`s site.

bestbuy is a re-saler for AT&T so things cant be more expensive.... normaly resalers will have cheaper prices , lol.

at&t = 450
at&t bestbuy = 550

no way that makes sens.

It's not a mistake by Best Buy. Best Buy routine "jacks" up prices on almost all phones. They don't even honor 10% coupons for "no contract" phones. They consider no contract phones as those Go Phones etc. Even though full price/no commitment phones are technically no contract.

I always thought it was weird they are allowed to sell cell phones are higher than suggested retail prices.

Almost all other consumer electronics in the USA cannot be sold for higher than MSRP but I guess cell phones are different since the prices are blurred because of the subsidized prices.

Guess I'll run over to the ATT store and take a look at what they have in stock.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I saw a posting this weekend that had some dude list a lumia 900 for $800 and said NOTHING LESS...what a derp.

mentalcase

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
There is no incentive for bestbuy to sell phones with no contract and phones are normally price higher than the corporate stores with no contract. They would rather have you buy a phone off contract from another retailer. You can usually save a few bucks buying there with an activation though.

kalex

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
always happens with new phones. some people don't have att stores near by. some are addicted to ebay. some have ebay bucks and ebay/paypal coupons. Sellers trying to cash in on latest and greatest phones and make money. I managed to get one on ebay for less that I would at ATT store since I would have to pay $45 in taxes

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Why are they charging that much? Because they can. Why is the 800 routinely selling for $450-500 on eBay? No way that phone should more then $400.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
it's all supply/demand, if you aren't an att postpaid customer (iirc, their "no commitment" pricing is for existing postpaid customers only) it also becomes a bit harder to find the phone for sale.

but it's the way the free market works, people will charge as much as they can get people to pay for something. if they're actually selling at the higher prices, it is a good sign the L900 could be a success in terms of gaining some mind/market share for windows phone. :)

chrise2

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the S in MSRP stand for suggested? Stores can charge whatever they want for something. Doesn't mean you have to be stupid enough to buy it. Or desperate enough if its sold out everywhere else...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans