The Back button problem

wilco9

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
my preordered 900 has been working great, until just now. when i clicked on the Back button, it responded like I was holding it, bringing out all-the-apps view, it was like this for about 10 mins and then it doesn't even do anything anymore...

any idea?

and looking at all those threads regarding all kinds of bugs and likes, I start to think that the preordered ones are just somewhat defective, in various extent.

Last edited:

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
There is no double click functionality. Perhaps you are holding it down too long? Otherwise I'm not sure what to tell you.

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
This has happened to me before but on my focus s. It happened when I pressed the back button too long without noticing it. Like the bottom of my thumb was laying on the buttons.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, my phone was defective and I preordered too! I had it replaced yesterday because I noticed that the screen was uneven and not flush. I also noticed problems Witt the back button where at times it would either not function or would bring up all running apps... I have used a samsung focus up until this point and know how WP7 should works and how it works on good hardware...

Needless to say after replacing my phone, I am sure I had a dog of a phone! The back button works as it should and fit and finish is great.... Only thing I noticed is light bleed from the bottom.... But like the iPad, I delt with that and a horrible camera before... At least the 900 is no where close to those problems.

Good luck and check your screen. Mine was low on the Bottom left and high on the bottom right.

zwhohebe

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I am experiencing this as well. its usually if I am tapping the back button repeatedly. the phone responds as if I am holding it down. im getting more patient with it however my focus was MUCH more responsive. Ill deal.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Im having this issue more and more now. I am a long time Windows Phone user (HTC Arrive day 1) so I understand how a tap versus long hold works. For some reason everytime i tap the back button the app switching screen shows up, its very annoying

SteveCr48

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Try this: see if it makes a difference whether your phone is flat (e.g., lying on a table) vs. at an angle (e.g., held with both hands).

I think there's a bug!

The back button works perfectly as long as I'm holding the phone with both hands. On a flat surface, the back button does not work.

Please try and post your results. Let's see if there's a bug. Thanks!!

jinfluence

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that when I am listening to music in Zune that the back button does not always work properly. It will act as if I held the button. If I stop the music then it will act properly. Has anyone else noticed that?

jb20

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that when I am listening to music in Zune that the back button does not always work properly. It will act as if I held the button. If I stop the music then it will act properly. Has anyone else noticed that?

Mine was acting that way as well. I went into an AT&T Corperate store to see if the devices they had displayed was doing the same. It wasn't. I was fortunate that they had the Black Lumina in stock and got it replaced. The new one also came with a green dot on the box which included the update already on the device. Before I left the store I tested the back button while playing music on the Zune player and it worked flawlessly.

SteveCr48

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Before I left the store I tested the back button while playing music on the Zune player and it worked flawlessly.

This is getting interesting. Can you please try this for me:

1) If you place your L900 on a table (i.e., so the phone is flat) and press the Back button, does it work as expected? Please test the Back button in different apps (e.g., email, calendar, browser).

2) Try the same test, only hold it in your hands (i.e., so the phone is at an angle). Does the Back respond differently, when the phone is in this position?

Thanks!!

(As I noted above, my phone behaves very differently in #1 (flat) and #2. (angled).)

jb20

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is getting interesting. Can you please try this for me:

1) If you place your L900 on a table (i.e., so the phone is flat) and press the Back button, does it work as expected? Please test the Back button in different apps (e.g., email, calendar, browser).

2) Try the same test, only hold it in your hands (i.e., so the phone is at an angle). Does the Back respond differently, when the phone is in this position?

Thanks!!

(As I noted above, my phone behaves very differently in #1 (flat) and #2. (angled).)

Just ran the tests you mentioned above and the back key worked on all angles.Landscape and portrait. I also placed the device flat on the surface and it worked fine.

The keys seem to be working fine so far. I just noticed my new device has the purple shading on the keypad.It doesn't bother me especially if everything else is working fine

jb20

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow, thanks! This is troubling. I wonder why the Back button on my phone doesn't work when the phone's on a flat surface? Thanks again.

My previous device did the same thing.

I just figured the keypad looking purple shade is due to the auto brightness. My old device wasn't like this. Ugh!

prowade

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So I have been dealing with this back button issue since I got the Lumia 900 (which I LOVE!).
I came from a Samsung Focus so I know how the back button works.

I tried something another user suggested (forgot his name). I opened a game and tried my back button. And I can get it to do it every time I play a game. The game I tried was Line Birds. I would play a couple rounds trying to make it through the level and then press the back button. Without fail I can get it to long press on a single tap.

I have seen this problem on apps other than games, but it seems to be most commons with games.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I saw this happen occasionally on my first phone, the one I exchanged, but it always seemed to happen when my finger was close to the back button before actually pressing it.

That said I have not been able to repro it on the replacement phone, even after the update was applied.

jinfluence

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
So I have been dealing with this back button issue since I got the Lumia 900 (which I LOVE!).
I came from a Samsung Focus so I know how the back button works.

I tried something another user suggested (forgot his name). I opened a game and tried my back button. And I can get it to do it every time I play a game. The game I tried was Line Birds. I would play a couple rounds trying to make it through the level and then press the back button. Without fail I can get it to long press on a single tap.

I have seen this problem on apps other than games, but it seems to be most commons with games.

That matches my experience too. Before I just noticed it when I was playing music but I have noticed it with games lately too. Saw it with angry birds (after playing several rounds) and with pirates. Sounds like it isn't on all phones so maybe I should try exchanging it I guess.

blends

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to see if I could experience the problem. I did notice that if I press the back button really had it goes to the multi-task app list. When I tap it, it works fine. I normally tap the back button no harder than as if I was typing text.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb