Bricked!!!

billcapricorn

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Just had the same problem with Sridhar!!!

Actually, I drained the battery the first day I got it, then charged it, and it turned on fine. Last night, the "famous" data connection issue happened to my Lumia 900 (even could not connect to WIFI, strange...). Then I drained the battery again, and plugged the charger in. Found out this morning the phone is "bricked" exactly the same as Sridhar described!!!

Asked AT&T's tech support online, told me just go a store to swap it.

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Just had the same problem with Sridhar!!!

Actually, I drained the battery the first day I got it, then charged it, and it turned on fine. Last night, the "famous" data connection issue happened to my Lumia 900 (even could not connect to WIFI, strange...). Then I drained the battery again, and plugged the charger in. Found out this morning the phone is "bricked" exactly the same as Sridhar described!!!

Asked AT&T's tech support online, told me just go a store to swap it.

aah haa... I knew I didnt do anything wild..

"Are you ready, Are you ready for this
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat"

Kon-Aitor

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
It is NOT advisable to discharge the battery completely without properly shutting off the phone. This has been true since Windows Mobile days. This is after all a Windows product, just like its PC counter part, you need to properly shutdown the OS. So to those going to kill their battery on purpose, don't. It will be a hit or miss. The OS might start up, it might not. But it's not because it's defective. Its because you didn't properly shut it down. I even remember reading FAQ on the HTC website that a battery pull and completely discharging my Surround's battery should not be done.

Um, I don't know what to tell you but this is wrong. First Windows is fine if it does not shut down, in rare cases if you are editing system files, then you MAY have problems.

As for Phones, I have pulled my focus's battery soo many times, while still on, and had no problems booting up again. I also pulled my Titan's battery a few times when I had it.

If anything it could be with the batteries, some lithium batteries do not handle being empty very well, it could be a defect in the design or the battery itself, this has always been true, and especially if you leave it without charge for some time. This is also why it is recommended to NEVER let your lithium batteries reach 0 charge, they will loose their performance and won't be able to hold as much charge in the future.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Um, I don't know what to tell you but this is wrong. First Windows is fine if it does not shut down, in rare cases if you are editing system files, then you MAY have problems.

As for Phones, I have pulled my focus's battery soo many times, while still on, and had no problems booting up again. I also pulled my Titan's battery a few times when I had it.

If anything it could be with the batteries, some lithium batteries do not handle being empty very well, it could be a defect in the design or the battery itself, this has always been true, and especially if you leave it without charge for some time. This is also why it is recommended to NEVER let your lithium batteries reach 0 charge, they will loose their performance and won't be able to hold as much charge in the future.

Um... good for you. I have done many battery pulls with my Focus and Surround as well. I have also done the same with my Windows machines via battery pull or pushing down the power button, but doesn't mean it's okay to do so.

And yes, I do agree with you about lithium batteries don't handle empty very well.

wesker

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue with a Rogers Lumia 900.

I've owned multiple iPhones and Android devices. Never had this issue.

What a joke.

I'm going to try leaving it plugged in overnight and see what happens.

wesker

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I've made some progress, I guess.

Now the phone boots up, displays the Nokia logo, then the Rogers logo then a large battery indicator with a small red bar at the bottom.

It stays there for about 5 minutes then reboots and repeats itself.

If there's no improvement by tomorrow morning, I'm heading to the Rogers store to exchange it.

jsntrenkler

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine was bricked for a few minutes last night. I was in the middle of playing a game with a low battery, needless to say the phone died in the middle of a game and didn't want to come to life even after I left it on the charger for 30 minutes. I I ended up holding the power button down while plugging in and unplugging after a few attempts it came back to life.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

wesker

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Update.

I dropped by the Rogers store and got a refund on my Lumia.

The rep said he's seen a few encountering this issue. So, any of you who just purchased one, I'd let it fully drain and see if the issue occurs or not.

iphone4convert

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Darn it! I after reading this post, I let my battery completely drain deliberately. It froze-up on the screen I was looking at and then shut down. I put it on the charger and in about a minute or two, it came back on like nothing happened. I am pissed-off! I wanted to be able to exchange my black lumia for the cyan one and since my 30 days have passed, this was the only way I could think of making this happen. Damn you Nokia for making a good product!

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue with a Rogers Lumia 900.

I've owned multiple iPhones and Android devices. Never had this issue.

What a joke.

I'm going to try leaving it plugged in overnight and see what happens.

No offense but Android and iPhones are riddled with their own issues. Your response is pretty short sighted.

DarthJeter

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
My 900 just started doing this today. I've tried everything from booting with the charger plugged in/not plugged in, and with the SIM card in and not in. I'm going to let it charge overnight, and if it doesn't boot in the morning, I'll be heading to the store...and maybe trade in the cyan for the white!

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine did this a little over a day ago. I am not sure if I will return or exchange. My other Windows Phones always say Goodbye when they run out of juice. This one just went white and froze a bit. I have tried about every thing I could find on how to fix this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo