HSPA+ speeds vs Titan

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm, in a non-LTE market, if HSPA+ speeds approach the max real world downlink for category 10? That is, 14Mbps theoretical and a max real world of ~12Mbps. I haven't seen anything over 4Mbps down, ever, with my original Titan. And there was a theory that it was a OS setting that AT&T employed on their Titan. So if the Titan II shows proper HSPA+ speeds then I'd have to conclude that the theory was correct.

I am also hoping that the consumer refresh 3 will address issues like this.

Pocket PC

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone confirm, in a non-LTE market, if HSPA+ speeds approach the max real world downlink for category 10? That is, 14Mbps theoretical and a max real world of ~12Mbps. I haven't seen anything over 4Mbps down, ever, with my original Titan. And there was a theory that it was a OS setting that AT&T employed on their Titan. So if the Titan II shows proper HSPA+ speeds then I'd have to conclude that the theory was correct.

I am also hoping that the consumer refresh 3 will address issues like this.

I can't confirm that, but I can say I'm VERY diasappointed with the bandwidth available to my Titan II on 4G and LTE. It's the same as on 3G with my focus - between 4 and 6 Mbps.

I have no doubt that AT&T is throttling the bandwidth while they tout "super-fast 4G/LTE speeds". Some marketing BS for sure.

If they are not throttling then maybe they upgraded only the wireless radio edge equipment but the data is sent across the same over-sold over-subscribed backbone network and aggregation routers.

I'd love for someone at AT&T to explain why my 3G Speeds = my 4G speed which = my LTE speed.

And that's just for download speeds. 4G and LTE upload speeds pale in comparison to 3G Upload. (3G was about 2.5-3Mbps and 4G/LTE both seem to be less than 1Gbps.)

LAME!

And think about it... why would AT&T want to offer faster speeds? Wouldn't they prefer that you connect to WiFi where available and not use their network bandwidth? If they offered truly faster speeds, who would bother with WiFi (given both are avaialble)? Unless you were approaching your data limit on at&t, then you might switch over.

Same reason they don't offer unlimited data plans to use the WiFi hotspot feature. They don't want everyone getting rid of their home Internet connection and using their Cell Phone carrier's network.

</my paranoid, conspiracy theory rant>

jawesome

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I definitely think AT&T throttled the speed on the original Titan but I don't think so on the Titan II because of all the reviews I've read none of them said they can't achieve LTE speeds. Have you tried other LTE devices in your area and seen what download/upload speeds they get? Once I receive my Titan II in the mail I will report my speeds.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
On WP7 what do you use to test the speeds? I have tested extensively with Android here and LTE just rolled out a week or two ago here so I can test that too.

On a SGS2 I was getting about 4 down and 1-2 up with HSPA+ earlier this week.

On Samsung Captivate I was getting 1.2-1.5 down with 3g and only like 200k up. If I was lucky. Still getting that today actually, though at times I get like .5 down and .1 up..... 3g sucks hard here.

Galaxy note I tested before LTE rolled out and I got 1.2 down and .1 to .2 up, every time. No idea why, but speeds stunk on that phone really bad in this area.

On Samsung Skyrocket I got 14.8 down and 8.8 up earlier this week.

Not ever tried on my WP devices as I did not know of a good way to test. Normal user by the way, I do not work for a phone store, just have a lot of phones! :)

Pocket PC

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Your LTE speed should blow your 4G speeds out of the water. Are you in an LTE area or just a 4G area?

it's. A mix, but I did have the LTE indicator on my phone with 3-4 bars. But at&t is NOT serving up LTE speeds here in Mountain View.

What a scam!

Edit: What I should say is that I have no doubt they've installed LTE radios at teh edge of their cellular network, but until those meiseers spend the money to upgrade their core network to something faster, we'll all just suffer along at 3G speeds with LTE access.

It's like adding four more lanes to a 101 on-ramp at rush hour. Just because you've increased access by 3x, it doesn't make the highway any faster.

Does AT&T have a roadmap to upgrade their network? Or is our only upgrade path T-mobile or Verizon? We're waiting....

Last edited:

Zaisaroni

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
The OP was never asking about LTE... The original Titan has had it's radio held back by backs firmware setting just like the OG Focus after a major update. Luckily the setting for the focus was known, and we were able to change it. Titan 1 never performed close to the radio spec.

OP wants to know how the Titan 2 performs on HSPA+ compared to a Titan 1.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
LTE working fantastic in Orlando. Nearly 20Mbps down and up to 8Mbps up. On 3G, I was lucky to get 1.6Mbps down/0.65Mbps up.

Btw, finding that LTE is consuming 35-40% more battery (18-19% hour of use vs. 12-13%) than WiFi. So there's one good reason for using WiFi, even if LTE is faster.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

reelon

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Where I live we don't have lte only hspa plus (where is the plus symbol on the keyboard?) the max that I gotten to download is about 6 mbps and for upload around 1 mbps.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious too about the T2 HSPA+ speeds. I'm pretty frustrated with the T1 speeds and am seriously thinking of jumping ship soon if all the other phones are blowing it out of the water speedwise.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I also haven't found a reliable speed test. Bandwidth was the only one that worked/gave good results before but now it doesn't work.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Where I live we don't have lte only hspa plus (where is the plus symbol on the keyboard?) the max that I gotten to download is about 6 mbps and for upload around 1 mbps.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Go to symbols and then the right-facing arrow that replaces the shift key to get a whole other page of symbols. Also, long-pressing almost every key, including letters, numbers and symbols, will produce even more options.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3