Touchstone charger mod

nopre

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
One of the things I really miss about my Palm pre is the touchstone charger. Why every phone doesn't offer it is beyond me :confused:

Anyway, I decided to adapt one of my old pre touchstone backs to my Trophy.

I carefully removed the inductive coil assembly with a razor blade:

temporary-143.jpg

The bottom terminal in the pic is positive the top is negative.

temporary-141.jpg

The whole thing comes off like a sticker. Just start at the corners and carefully peel it off.

I then aligned it and stuck it on the inside of an Incipio Sylicrylic case:

temporary-142.jpg

It may work using the factory back but the silicone part of the case made routing wires easier. I left the factory back off to give more room.

Here are the places where I wired the charger:

trophy.jpg

Pic ripped off the web :)

The square on the left (Near the vibrator) marks a tiny SMT component that is the positive from the wired charger. The square on the right is a common ground.

Some poking around with a meter will reveal the exact places. You should have 5V with the USB charger plugged in. I just used some phone wire stripped down and soldered them in place.

So far it works great :D Sorry about the pics but they were taken with my Trophy. It's my only camera so I couldn't take pics of the inside :blush:

This video was VERY useful:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen1h3Novqc[/YT]

Hopefully this will help some other Palm rejects enjoy their Trophy even more :p

nopre

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! So far it's working well! The Touchstone really spoiled me and it was THE biggest thing I missed about my pre.

It is kind of harrowing removing those little VOID stickers and soldering stuff onto the phones circuit board.

I was VERY relieved when the phone fired up and worked after it's little operation :D

The plan was to get an insurance replacement if I bricked it :dry

Last edited:

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the main things I miss about webos. Not only the touchstone but the community. Unfortunately hp abandoned us, so we had no choice. Too bad I can't do this for my new lumia :D

Sent from my {Lumia 900} using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb