Windows 8 on Lumia 900

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope Windows 8 doesn't need a dual-core processor to run properly. Has MS hinted that W8 will run on these current devices?

-Rich

Ryan32

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It hasn't been officially announced one way or the other... My personal opinion is that Microsoft isn't even remotely done with the software yet, so they don't want to make any promises until they know what the final product will be...

Once they have it pretty much finished, then they will need to test it out on all the existing hardware and make a decision.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to guess that we are going to get some features of Windows 8 but not all of them. We shall find out soon enough....

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I've never understood why WP8 seems to be such a fundamental shift from WP7. This is something Microsoft, imho, needs to confirm one way or another, asap, to prevent people from holding off/being disappointed due to the forthcoming release of WP8.

Imho, WP8 should be nothing more than a major upgrade, much in the same way as 7.5 was, and should be readily available to be rolled out to G2 devices at the very least, therefore not rendering the devices people will be purchasing over the next 6 months, obsolete overnight.

If Microsoft do decide that WP8 is only going to work on new handsets, and WP7 handsets are thus incompatible, then I know I personally, will never purchase another Windows Phone handset again, or indeed trust any future Microsoft powered mobile devices. Aside from my own personal feelings towards such a roadmap, if this happened, it would also cause mass fragmentation of the eco-system (with developers having to develop WP7 compatible apps alongside WP8 apps - thus most will probably never take advantage of the extra WP8 abilities, or of course just cease development for WP7 users altogether) and it will also kill consumer confidence and trust in both Microsoft, and Nokia (and other hardware vendors) products.

Microsoft has to be very careful here, the safe thing for them to do is to confirm the future of the G2 handsets for once and for all, as soon as possible, so we all know where we stand, and whether a Microsoft OS can be trusted to power our next mobile/cell phones.

mmaheshwary

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I've never understood why WP8 seems to be such a fundamental shift from WP7. This is something Microsoft, imho, needs to confirm one way or another, asap, to prevent people from holding off/being disappointed due to the forthcoming release of WP8.

Imho, WP8 should be nothing more than a major upgrade, much in the same way as 7.5 was, and should be readily available to be rolled out to G2 devices at the very least, therefore not rendering the devices people will be purchasing over the next 6 months, obsolete overnight.

If Microsoft do decide that WP8 is only going to work on new handsets, and WP7 handsets are thus incompatible, then I know I personally, will never purchase another Windows Phone handset again, or indeed trust any future Microsoft powered mobile devices. Aside from my own personal feelings towards such a roadmap, if this happened, it would also cause mass fragmentation of the eco-system (with developers having to develop WP7 compatible apps alongside WP8 apps - thus most will probably never take advantage of the extra WP8 abilities, or of course just cease development for WP7 users altogether) and it will also kill consumer confidence and trust in both Microsoft, and Nokia (and other hardware vendors) products.

Microsoft has to be very careful here, the safe thing for them to do is to confirm the future of the G2 handsets for once and for all, as soon as possible, so we all know where we stand, and whether a Microsoft OS can be trusted to power our next mobile/cell phones.

My feelings exactly. if they screw with people who enthusiastically adopted Mango devices, and not upgrade the OS, they will alienate everyone who has been rooting for them. They will shoot themselves in the head and for me, lose all credibility as a third major player.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99