Call Quality - Echo - Feedback

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
My husband and I both got Lumia 900s a week ago. We have been trying to troubleshoot the echo/feedback issue and poor call quality ever since. We ended up returning his phone for another one which was some improvement but there is still a problem with both of our phones.

We thought the echo, distortion, and feedback could be cured by keeping our volume down but people we talk to say that doesn't completely fix it and we can't hear the person we're talking to with the volume too low.

Everyone we talk to comments that they hear themselves echo when talking to us and end the conversation pretty quickly. This is happening with the volume down to 5 or 6.

Does anyone have more information about this? We can't have phones that we can't talk on even if the OS is great.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
There is already a topic that addresses this issue so you aren't the only one. I have also experienced this issue on one occasion, it's unfortunate because other than the echo the call quality is top of the line. Since the phone has only been out for a week now don't be too surprised to see Nokia make several software updates addressing issues that currently effect the device.

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Some of the mic/speaker settings can be set by calling some number but I don't recomend playing around with those settings. If you'd like I can search for the info.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
My opinion: if you like the device keep it and wait for software updates. Nokia is usually very timely with their updates.
If you have other regrets about buying the device then return it, but just know that the Lumia 900 will continually grow better.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's AT&Ts new LTE network? Have only made three calls on my L900, and no complaints from anyone so far. Also left myself a message and it sounded fine.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

stendec81

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes...I'm having the same problem as well.

• When I'm on the phone using the built-in earpiece, the other individual hears their own echo.

• On my end, I hear no echo and the call is clear.

• When using the speaker-phone feature the echo ceases.

• Phone volume levels during conversations were set at 10.

• I called several different phones on various carriers (including land lines) and all produced an echo.

• I checked the sim card and made sure it was clean and installed correctly

• By reducing the phone volume down to 6 during conversation, I was able to eliminate the echo for the most part. Above that level and echo returns.

• I believe that the mic near the headphone jack is picking up the conversation from the earpiece when the volume is set above 6, creating the echo on the other end. Again, never on the Nokia's end.

This phone has two mics. View this link: Nokia Lumia 900 User Guide - Nokia - USA

I think that's the problem.

Last edited:

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My husband and I both got Lumia 900s a week ago. We have been trying to troubleshoot the echo/feedback issue and poor call quality ever since. We ended up returning his phone for another one which was some improvement but there is still a problem with both of our phones.

We thought the echo, distortion, and feedback could be cured by keeping our volume down but people we talk to say that doesn't completely fix it and we can't hear the person we're talking to with the volume too low.

Everyone we talk to comments that they hear themselves echo when talking to us and end the conversation pretty quickly. This is happening with the volume down to 5 or 6.

Does anyone have more information about this? We can't have phones that we can't talk on even if the OS is great.
Turn the ear volume down say 7 of 10 or lower.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have now had 3 people tell me the same thing. They hear themselves echo on the call. They sound crystal clear to me. Can you still hear with the volume lower?

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes you still can, 7 was actually too loud for me. I end up using 5 of 10.

Ok I will try that today. Thanks for the heads up.

So are we thinking the secondary mic for noise canceling is picking up the other person's voice in the ear piece and that's what they are getting as the echo? My one buddy said he would speak and then hear himself echo 3-4 seconds after.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Strange. Call quality has been absolutely stellar for me. Then again I'm not using it on AT&T/LTE.

The call quality is fine. It's the person on the other end of the call that is getting echo. In fact the call quality on the Lumia is very very good IMO. It's way better than my iPhone 4.

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Echo Problem as well

Callers are hearing themselves on my phone calls as well. Doesn't happen when using speaker phone either. Any news on a fix?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077