Will the 900 get the next WP 8 update?

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So first off, I'd like to say I love the new windows phone. I came from webos (to which I was loyal for quite awhile) so I don't really know how things work for windows. Is there any chance when windows phone 8 (Apollo?) is released, will we get an update?

P.s. I came from WebOs so im used to being let down. :D

Sent from my {Lumia 900} using Board Express

Last edited:

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
That's a very good question. I read and apparently windows 8 runs a different kernel that supports multi core.

And it's up to the carriers and hardware manufactures to support the software update also.

I have a feeling Microsoft gives Nokia early access to windows 8 software to test and this Lumia 900 will run windows 8 phone software.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Nobody has confirmed anything..

We are only hoping that it does.....If so, i would assume some features may be missing...

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This has been beaten to death, but here goes lol.

MS is not saying anything, and this is to keep a lid on things until necessary. With Mango they let the competition know too early and things were copied.

Now for the question: I would literally bet my right eye that Apollo will be distributed to all 2nd gen phones, and would almost do the same for first gen phones.

MS and Nokia both need this to succeed and they are NOT going to leave everybody in the dust with Apollo that already bought devices. ESPECIALLY NOT THEIR NEW HERO DEVICE (lumia 900) that JUST launched.

What will happen is simple. The update will be given to your current phone, and just like with ANY OTHER UPDATE, the only things it will NOT get is simply things the hardware limits of the phone itself allow. Just like with Mango, my Focus got the update, but things like Gyroscope & Front Facing Cameras don't magically appear in the phone, so those aren't supported obviously.

Everybody will get the OS update (can't say I know for sure on 1st gen devices, but don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't), and you will only be limited in the features that require specific hardware you do not have.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
As its been said, there hasn't been anything concrete to go on. One thing to note is how fast Nokia got that update out for the data thing, even though AT&T said they were going to hold updates back for major updates. I'm wondering if the Nokia Microsoft partnership has anything special in regards to updates as well. Maybe we'll be seeing updates coming from Nokia instead of AT&T, which would bode well for getting Apollo on board for our devices. I doubt Nokia would drop this one dead seeing how well it's doing so far, the last thing they want to do is backstab us in the back I'd think.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
this has been beaten to death, but here goes lol.

Ms is not saying anything, and this is to keep a lid on things until necessary. With mango they let the competition know too early and things were copied.

Now for the question: I would literally bet my right eye that apollo will be distributed to all 2nd gen phones, and would almost do the same for first gen phones.

Ms and nokia both need this to succeed and they are not going to leave everybody in the dust with apollo that already bought devices. Especially not their new hero device (lumia 900) that just launched.

What will happen is simple. The update will be given to your current phone, and just like with any other update, the only things it will not get is simply things the hardware limits of the phone itself allow. Just like with mango, my focus got the update, but things like gyroscope & front facing cameras don't magically appear in the phone, so those aren't supported obviously.

Everybody will get the os update (can't say i know for sure on 1st gen devices, but don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't), and you will only be limited in the features that require specific hardware you do not have.

this

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey, my 8 year old Fujitsu notebook is running Windows 8 right now. Backward compatibility is Microsoft's blessing (or curse). Enough said.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
here's food for thought. The lumias single core runs smoother then any android out. The nexus s got ice cream sandwich with having only a single core. What makes you think we won't get Apollo? :-D

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Of course the 900 will get Apollo. What hardware would developers run the beta on? And the aggressive memory management Windows 8 has for tablets is doubly helpful for phones.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Uh...yeah. Not that I have anything against the other OS's but this ain't android

Sent from my Le Lumia using Board Express

davep1982

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Once Apollo rolls out we all will find out that Nokia has secretly manufactured the 900 with a dual core processor.

A man can dream, right?

Sridhar V

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
hold on...what is it that Apollo is going to provide that's missing today?? Anybody know officially??

I for one don't care now cause I don't know...plus the fact that the damn phone works!!!

There ain't no long laundry list of bugs to get an ice cream sandwich to sort that out nor is copy paste missing to get iOS 3

what's the gripe and why the clamoring esp on a lumia 900?

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Well for starters with Windows 8 on the way, I would think the phone and computer software would share similar "apps". That is my understanding at least. I may be wrong about that though? If so we could have a lot more apps and development coming our way

Sent from my {Lumia 900} using Board Express

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't care if they come from WP 8 or WP 7.99 - I just want to have...

Full backup capability like iphone

The ability to transfer files from my phone to my pc without Zune

The ability to save SMS threads to word or rich text format

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss