• I?ll wait until upgrade and purchase a WP8 device

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • I don't care, I'm sticking with Windows Phone no matter what

Votes: 55 48.2%

• Total voters

iphone4convert

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
There's been much talk about our Lumia 900 not being upgraded to WP8 when it's released. Will you be sticking with the platform if it's not upgraded to WP8?

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I think back to when I got the OG Droid in November of 2009. The normal early adopter posts/reviews talked about the lack of apps, the slowness of the hardware and OS and blah blah blah. Then the software updates would be announced after other phones were released and no one was sure what would happen. WOW. It's that all over again.

Sure, we lack some numbers on apps, but they'll come (remember how long it took for Angry Birds to reach Android? Didn't take that long for WP7 I believe). That was something that Apple held over Google's head forever...and then it took off. Sure, it may not catch up, but if you limit the fart apps, you'll always be behind (j/k).

Hardware specs aren't where they are on Android. This is pretty irrelevant as I believe these devices have the OS designed around the hardware standards (for now) so too beefy isn't needed. This being the case, why can't Win8 work on our current devices?

My phone can't do this. It can't do that. I'm so frustrated. Yes, this is true, but it's early in it's life span. My daughter is 4. She can't drive a car. She can't get a job. She can't support herself. She can't do a lot of things, but she's slowly learning and it'll take a little time. I know there's lots of people that think things should happen overnight or because something else can do it after being around for a while, there's no reason this NEW device shouldn't be able to do it now. That just doesn't make sense.

I'm just saying give it a chance. Anyone that wants stuff that iOS has or Android has, go with one of those platforms. Get your annual software update on iOS until they figure out that hey, this phone can't really handle this. Maybe we shouldn't have pushed it (remember that debacle a few years ago with trying to run the newest version of iOS on the 3G and it didn't really run well? Sorry, I can't remember the version as I don't pay that much attention to the details on that OS). Or let's do the Android 'hope and pray' that this latest version will get updated on our phone due to the enormous amount of fragmentation. There's going to be issues everywhere.

I'm going to stick with it. I like it. No, it's not perfect, but I'll give it a shot and ride it out. I'll feel better in the long run as new things come to the platform and it eventually rises to success. That's how I feel and what I believe.

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I don't care. I want the latest OS with supporting HW. I'll get the Windows Phone 8 (is that what they are going to call this?) :cool:

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I wont be thrilled...but I'd wait to get a WP8 device. Before my first smartphone in 2009 i didn't get OS upgrades on my LG or my flip phone...I'm sure I can manage for a year with minimal upgrades to Mango.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Have no plans to use any other mobile OS. It will obviously be completely disgraceful but that doesn't change the fact I like the OS so I won't be switching.

iphone4convert

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting response to the poll. Atlhough certainly not scientific, it's interesting to see that right now over 80% of respondents will stick with Windows Phone whether or not they have to cancel, upgrade or, no matter what. So, one would imagine that by not upgrading phones to WP8, Microsoft will upset some persons, but it won't entirely loose its base and stands to gain many. Maybe it's already considered that, or will consider that, when it decides on the upgrade path. As for me...I calmed down and now join the ranks that I'm sticking with the WP interface and if the HW is better (like more ppi), I'll sell my Lumia on Gazelle or Best Buy trade in and go with the newer HW and WP8. Is this a Burt Lancaster thing...you'll never pull my WP Phone from my stone cold hand!

properbostonian

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The real question is this: will the experience on our phones be exponentially better with WP8? If so, then yes, I would like the upgrade. If not, I don't care. Regardless, I am NOT returning my phone. That is just silly.

Last edited:

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with wp7/8/whatever until they stop making them. I'm very much on board with this os, and I am very against what ios and android are offering right now. I've used all three of them for extended periods of time, and I'm very happy with this. It's really the first time I've used a phone for longer than 6 months and not gotten bored with it.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Sticking with WP for now dont anticipate changing to any other operating system. I am waiting on windows 8 for a tablet and to switch to say an iphone when I have a win8 tablet would be to me ludicrous!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Sticking with WP. Seriously, whether we get Apollo on current devices or not, the updates have to be cut off at some point. It's just reality. That's why its beneficial to just jump on the bandwagon as soon as possible, because the sooner you upgrade now, the sooner you can upgrade to your next one.

Even if my 900 doesn't get Apollo, in 18 months I will upgrade (early upgrade from ATT) to a second gen WP that will be the envy of first gen WP8 device adopters. It's a seesaw with these phones, in terms of latest options.

The longer you wait to get your phone, the closer you get to latest update/upgrade, in terms of software and hardware. Then you make yourself go crazy and end up blaming MS, OEMs, and carriers who obviously follow a structured and predictable timetable. So just make a decision and stick with it.

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Is this a Burt Lancaster thing...you'll never pull my WP Phone from my stone cold hand!
That'd be a Charlton Heston thing.

This would be a Burt Reynolds thing:
smokey-and-the-bandit3.jpg

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I won't abandon Windows Phone over a silly resentment.

Which phone I get next will depend on what Apollo offers and what the other options are.

If Apollo is amazing, then I'll stick with it. If Apple revamps iOS and does some amazing new stuff with the UI and I like it better than Apollo, then I'll go that route.

I'm new to Windows Phone, so a lot will depend on how well Microsoft brings things up to speed in terms of app availability and some of the shortcomings of the OS. Interoperability with Mac OS X is also a relevant factor for me.

I'm patient and willingly made certain compromises to go with Windows Phone, because overall I felt it had the best smartphone UI out there by far and the Lumia 900 is a great device.

But I'm not blindly loyal to any platform. I prefer Mac OS X, but I also use Windows 7. I prefer Windows Phone right now, but I wouldn't rule out iOS.

Android is the one thing I have a pretty strong bias against due to nothing but negative experiences with multiple Android devices, honeycomb tablet and phone. It would take an act of God for me to buy another Android device again. The only exception would be something like a Kindle Fire or another Android-based device that is heavily re-worked to make it cohesive and reliable and not such a mess. Even then, I am very wary of all things Android.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone acknowledges that WinPhone is playing a come-from-behind game. As such, it is entirely reasonable to expect a fast pace of development from Microsoft (and Nokia), as missing features get filled in and wrinkles get ironed out. This OS and its ecosystem is still a fast-growing sapling, and I expect it'll be awhile before it is the stately tree that iOS has become.

With that in mind, I bought into the Winphone game last week, with the full expectation that I'd be carried forward for one or two generations of device and OS development. Assuming that Microsoft is trying to draw as many people as possible to their fledgling OS and ecosystem, I can't think of anything worse for them to do than to give the impression, or worse yet impose the reality, that people who buy in now are going to be frozen out in six or twelve months. That is just not the way to rally support to your come-from-behind effort! You need customers to feel that they're an ongoing part of something that's growing, gaining, and getting better fast. And they need to feel it strongly enough that their friends pick up on the vibe and jump on board too.

I thought this over last week before I bought the 900, and decided that it would be such certain suicide (with the general public) to refuse an update to a six-month-old phone, that Microsoft would never do it. I still feel that way, and I'm not too concerned about the rumors... though I AM puzzled by Microsoft's batten-down-the-hatches answers. It is clumsy for them even to cast doubt about this question.

Nevertheless, if Apollo doesn't come to at least the 900 (and other phones released with Mango already installed), I'll consider it the death knell for Windows Phone as a viable ecosystem. There is no way for that kind of attitude to succeed outside of the dedicated enthusiast base represented here. I have another upgrade slot on my family plan coming up this Fall, and if the 900 gets left behind, you can bet your last dollar that I'll absolutely burn that slot on an iPhone 5 rather than another Winphone. I won't throw the 900 in the trash, but there won't be any more app purchases, showing it off to friends, or any future Winphone purchases for me.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
If I had a L900 now - In the worse case scenario, and if the future of platform was going to suffer by supporting older devices, I'd take it on the chin and enjoy my lovely device until it was time to upgrade. I'd still expect bug fixes/support from MS/Nokia though (in the mean time).

Remember, it'll be those with generation one WP8 devices turn to be envious when you upgrade to second gen WP8 handsets later on down the line. :)

iphone4convert

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Tablet

Sticking with WP for now dont anticipate changing to any other operating system. I am waiting on windows 8 for a tablet and to switch to say an iphone when I have a win8 tablet would be to me ludicrous!

I don't mean to get off-topic, but it's funny you should mention this. I was just talking to a co-worker and mentioned that Windows 8 will give any other tablet a run for its money. I am using the consumer pre-release version of Windows 8 on a home desktop and think it's beautiful. I will be first in line to dump my iPad for a Windows 8 tablet!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99