Odd mail screen issue

gmurray81

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
This only seems to happen in the mail app, has anyone else seen it?

When I'm typing a message, the brightness of the screen seems to dim slightly on a key tap, maybe this is a misfiring of the auto screen brightness adjustment that some OLED screens do? But my focus didn't do this... BTW I have auto brightness turned OFF and brightness set to high.

What's odd is if I pull up another app with a white background, and start typing, I don't see the issue.

Also, just today, I could swear i'm seeing some interference in the mail app where I can see ghostly writing in the background, in addition to the brightness flicker issue.

But this still only seems to affect the Mail app?!? maybe it cheats and uses some native code paths that have the issue, rather than using Silverlight?

Or maybe my screen is borked. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

-Graham

gmurray81

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
This only seems to happen in the mail app, has anyone else seen it?

When I'm typing a message, the brightness of the screen seems to dim slightly on a key tap, maybe this is a misfiring of the auto screen brightness adjustment that some OLED screens do? But my focus didn't do this... BTW I have auto brightness turned OFF and brightness set to high.

What's odd is if I pull up another app with a white background, and start typing, I don't see the issue.

Also, just today, I could swear i'm seeing some interference in the mail app where I can see ghostly writing in the background, in addition to the brightness flicker issue.

But this still only seems to affect the Mail app?!? maybe it cheats and uses some native code paths that have the issue, rather than using Silverlight?

Or maybe my screen is borked. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

-Graham
note, it doesn't seem to occur every time, only sometimes. it may depend on what content is actually on the mail screen. But it occurs often enough to definitely catch your eye eventually.

frusciantefan99

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Same exact problem here - I'm glad that somebody else has noticed it, actually, since I was worried it was a hardware issue. In the mail app, just like you said, typing will result in a subtle flicker whenever you touch the screen. Extremely annoying!

I'm also getting ghosting occasionally. For example, I'll be hitting backspace when composing an email (I'm a terrible typer!), and about 3/4 of the way up the screen I can see a really faint reflection of the delete key. It's dynamic too, since it will change to black at the same time that I touch the real button with my thumb. Shadows from other keys also appear, I just tend to notice the delete key the most since it's bigger.

Does anyone else have this issue? I noticed it the very first day that I got the phone.

gmurray81

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Same exact problem here - I'm glad that somebody else has noticed it, actually, since I was worried it was a hardware issue. In the mail app, just like you said, typing will result in a subtle flicker whenever you touch the screen. Extremely annoying!

I'm also getting ghosting occasionally. For example, I'll be hitting backspace when composing an email (I'm a terrible typer!), and about 3/4 of the way up the screen I can see a really faint reflection of the delete key. It's dynamic too, since it will change to black at the same time that I touch the real button with my thumb. Shadows from other keys also appear, I just tend to notice the delete key the most since it's bigger.

Does anyone else have this issue? I noticed it the very first day that I got the phone.
Yup, that sounds the same as what I'm seeing. Anyone else seeing this? Wondering whether this is a software issue or whether we'll need a replacement...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb