802.11n 5ghz support?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt it, and I'm pretty sure no mobile device supports 5Ghz. They can only do one radio really to save on size/battery and 2.4Ghz is far more common.

crash_pr

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I knew someone was going to come back on that one. Doesn't change anything, 2.4Ghz is far more common and a better choice for OEMs. Building in both frequencies is excessive really.
See this and understand why 5GHz is important...
http://vimeo.com/user10135085/review/35577280/85705f55fe

crash_pr

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

flyeaglesfly

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
it definitely does not support it, i know because i run a dual band router @ home and my pc is on the 5ghz channel. my wife has imac, iphone and ipod and none of them will read it either. my pc is chillin' solo on that channel, which is kinda nice honestly.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the majority of public wifi hot spots are NOT 5Ghz....this is mainly a spectrum used for home AV, which is why tablets and such have it, and stupid garmondo sized phones like the note have it since they are more of media player devices. two radios will gobble battery though unless they device is smart enough to shut off one radio while the other is connected.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think mobile devices have only just begun to really add 5Ghz Wifi radios. My Lumia doesn't "see" my 5Ghz home network so I assume it's not supported.

fuzion98

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I just Deployed a whole campus WLAN with 802.11abgn Access Points so for me 5GHz band
is important because allows me to put more access points on an area with out channel overlaping... than again maybe this conversation is to advanced for you to understand..

Good for you. Didn't expect someone to try to show their epeen on a lumia forum lol..

BTW, 5ghz would have been nice. But in reality if it saves any battery, I would have omitted it as well because 5ghz networks are the exception not the norm.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
A few people get it! I never said 5Ghz was bad or terrible or not important long term. What my point was is that putting it in all mobile devices right now is more a negative than a positive. When 5Ghz becomes the norm over 2.4Ghz then we can have this conversation again.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I just Deployed a whole campus WLAN with 802.11abgn Access Points so for me 5GHz band
is important because allows me to put more access points on an area with out channel overlaping... than again maybe this conversation is to advanced for you to understand..

That's great but since you deployed abgn you also have 2.4Ghz so you have proven 5 is not a must.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
A lot of new phones being released lately support 802.11n on the 5GHz band, but it's the same thing as with the screen resolution. It's not a part of the chassis spec, so WP7 doesn't support it.

I don't think the iPhone 4S does, but pretty much everything since including the iPad, many Android phones, and even my webOS Pre 3 support it. Not having it does make a device a little bit dated, but that's what we're stuck with until Apollo.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Since I was having a WiFi problem at home with my Lumia, I decided to mess around with my Router, see if switching GHz helped it out. It did not, when I changed it from 2.5GHz to 5GHz, my connection wouldn't show up. I checked my Girlfriend's 4S it wasn't showing up on there either. On my iPad it was giving me 2 out of 3 bars. Switched it back, because I wasn't sure what was going on with my WiFi, it's like I have a time limit to use my home internet and it just stops working. :\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos