This one thing irritates me a TON about the Lumia 900.

lumia1234

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

I love this phone a lot. I think it's very sleek and aesthetically pleasing. However, I have one MAJOR gripe. I hate how when the phone does screen lock (after inactivity for 30 seconds, or when you press the power button to lock the phone), it jumps off your wi-fi and turns it off. When you turn the phone back on, it attempts to re-connect to the wi-fi, but often times I have to go back into Settings>Wi-Fi, to find my connection point and let it re-connect.

This is especially frustrating at school as every time the screen locks and my wi-fi turns off, I have to go back to my school's portal and log back in to use my wi-fi.

I'm guessing they did this for battery reasons, but I wish there would have at least been an option to leave wi-fi always connected. I would deal with the battery life.

Anyone else have this gripe?

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The WiFi sleepy policy had been spoken about time and time again on this forum. Its an OS feature which has nothing to do with the Lumia. Search is your best friend.

Last edited:

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

I love this phone a lot. I think it's very sleek and aesthetically pleasing. However, I have one MAJOR gripe. I hate how when the phone does screen lock (after inactivity for 30 seconds, or when you press the power button to lock the phone), it jumps off your wi-fi and turns it off. When you turn the phone back on, it attempts to re-connect to the wi-fi, but often times I have to go back into Settings>Wi-Fi, to find my connection point and let it re-connect.

This is especially frustrating at school as every time the screen locks and my wi-fi turns off, I have to go back to my school's portal and log back in to use my wi-fi.

I'm guessing they did this for battery reasons, but I wish there would have at least been an option to leave wi-fi always connected. I would deal with the battery life.

Anyone else have this gripe?
Not a perfect solution by any means, but you can set the screen timeout to 5 minutes max.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well guess you can't do anything about your schools WiFi setup (or maybe you can) but my Surround, and now my L900 has never had any difficulty connecting to my home (used two different routers) office or AT&T WiFi hotspots. Just wake the phone up and a few seconds later, connected.

Pretty sure the iPhone also disconnects from WiFi when it goes to sleep. How is it working for them at your school. Same/different?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Well guess you can't do anything about your schools WiFi setup (or maybe you can) but my Surround, and now my L900 has never had any difficulty connecting to my home (used two different routers) office or AT&T WiFi hotspots. Just wake the phone up and a few seconds later, connected.

Pretty sure the iPhone also disconnects from WiFi when it goes to sleep. How is it working for them at your school. Same/different?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
most devices including iPhone have a WiFi sleepy policy that you can set to never turn off. Unfortunately WP OS doesn't hence it has to reconnect when woken up.

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow mine connects fast enough for me never to notice if was off in the first place. I haven't had to go into settings to connect after initial set up.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think some of you are missing the OP's main point: after WiFi reconnects, he has to log back in through the portal, via IE, everytime. I also find this frustrating with establishments like malls or coffee shops that require you to log in or agree to some terms before you're allowed access to their connection.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
To tell you the truth, I just stopped connecting to such hotspots and not deal with it. I just stick with cellular connection, since we have LTE in our area and is so much faster than most free wifis.

lumia1234

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but I got a 300MB Data plan, since I'm at a wi-fi hotspot 9 times out of ten. Not to mention I don't have a texting plan (I use TextMe for texting over internet connection). So usually, i would totally be with you.

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
This is an OS feature, not the Lumia 900 itself. All Windows Phones go through this.

The one thing though is that for the majority of us, we don't notice it because it connects back rather quickly.

Of course, though, since you need to keep logging back in, it definitely is a hassle. What I would do though is to stream something (music i.e.), so that the Wi-Fi doesn't sleep. That's the only workaround I got. Keep it streaming, and your Wi-Fi will not sleep.

Hope this helps,

XboxOmac

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
This is an OS feature, not the Lumia 900 itself. All Windows Phones go through this.

The one thing though is that for the majority of us, we don't notice it because it connects back rather quickly.

Of course, though, since you need to keep logging back in, it definitely is a hassle. What I would do though is to stream something (music i.e.), so that the Wi-Fi doesn't sleep. That's the only workaround I got. Keep it streaming, and your Wi-Fi will not sleep.

Hope this helps,

XboxOmac

Oh, right. Isn't there a workaround about using a music app like TuneIn or LastFm and just keep them opened in the background? You don't have to necessarily be playing the music, just keep it paused. I've never tried it myself.

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh, right. Isn't there a workaround about using a music app like TuneIn or LastFm and just keep them opened in the background? You don't have to necessarily be playing the music, just keep it paused. I've never tried it myself.

I myself have not tried it paused, but sure. Try with Last.FM, iHeartRadio, or MetroRadio and see how it works out for you.

Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99