I Had A Great Experience Today

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
For lunch, I walk up the street from my house which is about 1.4 miles to my destination. I use a Sony stereo Bluetooth headset paired to my Lumia 900 to listen to either music I downloaded or Slacker Radio as I walk.

On my way back, a friend decides to text me. I've stated before that I really do enjoy the whole text experience with the Windows Phone OS, but it just went to another level today. The text comes through, asks if I want it read or to ignore. I say out loud, Read It. It hears me even though I'm walking next to 6 lanes of traffic. Then after it reads it, it asks if I want to reply, or done. I replied each time. It confirms what you want to send, then it sends it. This whole experience was truly hands free and all I needed was voice prompting. It was just such a good feeling to know that I didn't need to do anything other than answer the questions and it did the rest. Even with all of the background noise.

All I can say is Wow. Never had this experience before. Can't wait to see what else I can do on BT.

That is all. ;)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Very cool! I wonder if that will work on the wired Nokia Pure headset as well. You didn't have to press a button or anything? If not, I wonder how the phone knows when to "listen"...

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
No button presses at all. It asked the questions, prompts you with a tone for your response, you speak, then it takes action. Doesn't get any easier than that.

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah this works with wired headsets too (w/ microphone) - I've been using Best Buy rocket fish ones that are 'compatible with most phones'.

Thanks for sharing! This happened to me the other day too.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here, I found this out the first week I had my Lumia and I was very surprised.

I have a BlueAnt Sense hands free in my car and without touching the phone I can reply to texts and it works flawlessly and totally hands free.
My iPhone was never able to do it as well as this phone I was quite impressed. I always had to use Siri which is not really the best solution while driving. It was just one more (of the many) reasons for me to keep using my Lumia and not go back to the iPhone.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I do this in my car all the time. I can make calls and read/send texts with my hands never leaving the steering wheel. Much safer than going for the phone.

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I also find the voice features to be excellent. However, I only have one issue that I hope Microsoft corrects in WP8: punctuation. There's no way for me to include punctuation in a voice text, so you can only really dictate single sentences. If I want to include punctuation, I have to manually add them in. It would be nice to simply say "period," "comma," "question mark" and have the phone enter it automatically, like it does on the iPhone 4S. I would find myself using the voice features much more often if that were the case.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
TellMe isn't as robust as Siri, but it does the job for a lot of things. I hope Apollo will bring a more natural language quality to it.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I also find the voice features to be excellent. However, I only have one issue that I hope Microsoft corrects in WP8: punctuation. There's no way for me to include punctuation in a voice text, so you can only really dictate single sentences. If I want to include punctuation, I have to manually add them in. It would be nice to simply say "period," "comma," "question mark" and have the phone enter it automatically, like it does on the iPhone 4S. I would find myself using the voice features much more often if that were the case.

I haven't tried the punctuation aspect, but I will next time I'm out and about which should be tomorrow. Good catch on that one since I usually try to be brief in my replies. I'll report back afterwards.

kvsmith59

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
yep, I dictated a text message thinking it would do punctuation but is spelled out "period" after each sentence :)

I hope they come out with a way for me to dictate text into a word document.....

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah this works with wired headsets too (w/ microphone) - I've been using Best Buy rocket fish ones that are 'compatible with most phones'.

Thanks for sharing! This happened to me the other day too.

You don't need wired headphones with a mic. It uses the phone's mic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs