Do ALL Focus S have the popping noise issue when changing music tracks?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Long time Focus user here. I'm off contract and using Straight Talk at the moment. I'm looking to "upgrade" my phone to something a bit newer and the new Lumia range is outside my price range. I'm looking something to keep me held over until 2013 when hopefully we'll be in to some awesome Windows Phone 8 phones and I'll consider going back on contract.

SO, I've pretty much decided on the Focus S (tried the Titan when it was released - was just too big for my liking).

I'm confident with the OS - my Focus is fully unlocked using a custom ROM and I'll be windowbreaking the S if I get it.

There's one little bug I've heard of that's giving me second thoughts at the moment and that's the "popping" noise when music is changing tracks if you're plugged in to a car stereo or home system via AUX cable.

I listen to music and podcasts A LOT in my car. My connection is actually through a hardwired FM modulator into the antenna and I get fairly good sound quality.

Anyway, this could be a dealbreaker for me as i think it would drive me crazy if there was a loud pop in between every track.

So - how many of you use your phones to play music in the car via a cable AUX in and how many have the problem? Looking for as much info as possible please.

Thanks everyone.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
If you unlock the phone using one of the threads here and get the 8107 update it does fix the popping noise.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Titan owner here. I get loud pops between every song when I'm using my headphones. Turning off SRS lessens the problem. Using higher quality headphones help too.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If you unlock the phone using one of the threads here and get the 8107 update it does fix the popping noise.

Ahh, excellent.

So, if I windowbreak while on 7720 Mango (in my expereicnce, almost all of these phones come still on Nodo) sideload WP Root Tools v0.9 to gain full root access and then use cab sender to roll up to 8107 it will all be good?

I'd like to get the full root access and interop as there are several bits of homebrew I use regularly.

If there's really no popping noise with the update that would be awesome. One question though, wouldn't it be a Samsung Firmware update that would fix the issue and I thought that was what we DIDN'T want to apply as it plugged the provxml hole?

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
All updates go through the manufacturers where they add their updates for specific phones. Then the manufacturer sends its version of the OS to the carriers and the carriers push it out to the phones LOCKED to the network. But if you get the unlock/debrand in the threads below this one you get the update directly from the manufacturers. The only thing the Samsung firmware prevents is an provxml registry editing but you can select in the update to not apply KK2. KK2 is the Samsung part of it, specifically the provxml registry editing.

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
All updates go through the manufacturers where they add their updates for specific phones. Then the manufacturer sends its version of the OS to the carriers and the carriers push it out to the phones LOCKED to the network. But if you get the unlock/debrand in the threads below this one you get the update directly from the manufacturers. The only thing the Samsung firmware prevents is an XML unlock which is the one used in the thread "Unlock your Focus S for free."

OK, now I'm a bit more confused.

If I use windowbreak to gain interop unlock, sideload WP7 Root Tools to gain root access and then use the CAB sender update method at xda to roll up to 8107, will that fix the popping or not?

Or is the only fix for the popping, the debrand method and get the Sammy firmware 8107 and lose the provxml method?

Also, if the phone is already unlocked prior to the 8107 update that closes the provxml loophole, does it matter as it's already unlocked? My understanding was that the interop unlock survived a hard reset.

Sorry for the questions but I want to get it totally straight in my mind before I pull the trigger on this.

OuHiroshi

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the vanilla 8107 update on my Focus S without the Samsung 8107 update to keep the XML exploit and I can confirm that the popping is still there. It only happen if you are plugged into the stereo though, the headphone is fine.

I just wish the headphone remote works like it suppose to... :mad:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the vanilla 8107 update on my Focus S without the Samsung 8107 update to keep the XML exploit and I can confirm that the popping is still there. It only happen if you are plugged into the stereo though, the headphone is fine.

I just wish the headphone remote works like it suppose to... :mad:

Can anyone else confirm this?

I've already ordered the phone now so I'll be pissed if this is the case.

I mean, ultimately I guess I can always windowbreak while on Mango, roll up to 8107 via zune (which would keep the mango version as a backup right?) and then if I ever had to hard reset I'd have to roll back to the Mango backup, windowbreak again, roll up etc.

Luckily, it would appear Windows Phone is not an OS you need to hard reset very often with but it would still be a bit of hassle.

Still, was rather hoping the 8107 update was a definite fix for the popping noise.

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone else confirm this?

I've already ordered the phone now so I'll be pissed if this is the case.

I mean, ultimately I guess I can always windowbreak while on Mango, roll up to 8107 via zune (which would keep the mango version as a backup right?) and then if I ever had to hard reset I'd have to roll back to the Mango backup, windowbreak again, roll up etc.

Luckily, it would appear Windows Phone is not an OS you need to hard reset very often with but it would still be a bit of hassle.

Still, was rather hoping the 8107 update was a definite fix for the popping noise.

I too wish to know how to force the 8107 update but I want to know how to back up and restore my current 7720... If anyone knows please reply with a link or step by step guide ;)

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
No update fixes the noise. Trust me, I have one. Also, don't count on using the haptic feedback wen you text. The sound is way too laggy to enjoy. The OS freezes and hangs on that phone more than any other WP I've used. I would not recommend the Focus S.

Hi guys,

Long time Focus user here. I'm off contract and using Straight Talk at the moment. I'm looking to "upgrade" my phone to something a bit newer and the new Lumia range is outside my price range. I'm looking something to keep me held over until 2013 when hopefully we'll be in to some awesome Windows Phone 8 phones and I'll consider going back on contract.

SO, I've pretty much decided on the Focus S (tried the Titan when it was released - was just too big for my liking).

I'm confident with the OS - my Focus is fully unlocked using a custom ROM and I'll be windowbreaking the S if I get it.

There's one little bug I've heard of that's giving me second thoughts at the moment and that's the "popping" noise when music is changing tracks if you're plugged in to a car stereo or home system via AUX cable.

I listen to music and podcasts A LOT in my car. My connection is actually through a hardwired FM modulator into the antenna and I get fairly good sound quality.

Anyway, this could be a dealbreaker for me as i think it would drive me crazy if there was a loud pop in between every track.

So - how many of you use your phones to play music in the car via a cable AUX in and how many have the problem? Looking for as much info as possible please.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Titan II using Board Express

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
No update fixes the noise. Trust me, I have one. Also, don't count on using the haptic feedback wen you text. The sound is way too laggy to enjoy. The OS freezes and hangs on that phone more than any other WP I've used. I would not recommend the Focus S.

Ugh! NOT what I wanted to hear. I see generally positive reviews of the phone wherever it's avaialble for sale online. Maybe you got a bad unit? :straight:

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Used ath-m50s and car stereo. Only for the week after I got the focus s, however (around launch). Popping noise, but back then, the real killer for.me was I couldn't use the mic when a stereo output (read, no external mic), was plugged in, so unlike ANY other phone I've ever owned with a 3.5mm TRS Jack (including the original Focus), I couldn't use the car stereo for calls.

I don't know if that has been fixed, but just putting that out there, since you.mentioned the useage. BT is fine, however.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Used ath-m50s and car stereo. Only for the week after I got the focus s, however (around launch). Popping noise, but back then, the real killer for.me was I couldn't use the mic when a stereo output (read, no external mic), was plugged in, so unlike ANY other phone I've ever owned with a 3.5mm TRS Jack (including the original Focus), I couldn't use the car stereo for calls.

I don't know if that has been fixed, but just putting that out there, since you.mentioned the useage. BT is fine, however.

I only use a BT headset for in car calls so that's not a problem.

I've read every post in the forums relating to the sound issue and it seems there are wildly varying results.

It also seems the problem is most noticed when volume on phone is at maximum AND car stereo is turned up loud.

On my current Focus I have the volume set at 25 ALL the time and the car stereo never has to go beyond 1/4 of maximum volume for me to be able to listen comfortably (except spoken word podcasts which I have to crank up).

I've NEVER noticed an issue with my original Focus despite one poster saying he could replicate this issue on his Focus.

I guess I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't going to be a dealbreaker for me.

Keep seeing conflicting reports about whether the 8107 update and/or KK2 Samsung update fixes this issue as well. :mad:

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
For your sake, I hope so. But for me, about 2-3 times a day when I'd tap either the Start or Back button, it would read that I held it, bringing up the multitasking/Tell Me. Sometimes apps would stay at the splash screen or 10-15 seconds. The OS would hang and freeze up for a few seconds.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
All people likely have different levels of acceptable audio performance*. I found fault with my focus, Titan, focus s, and Zune HD audio quality. PS Vita and iPhone 4S have generally been okay. This silly LG phone doesn't even quality for the low ranks.

*performance qualifies ANYTHING related to audio.

Edit: I missed the post above :(.

Nah, I only set and forget for the phone. Now only use BT steering wheel controls with my iphone, and only when I even feel its safe to do so.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh and I should've added that the haptic feedback doesn't work on all S's

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So I got the phone yesterday aaaaaaand - it's going straight back! :mad:

I'm frankly disgusted at what a poor device the Focus S is compared to the original Focus. I honestly believe the original is superior in almost every respect.

In the 24 hours I've had it I've noticed the following issues (and it arrived already running the 8107 build of Mango as well):

1. Popping noise between music tracks when played through car stereo. This is a total dealbreaker for me - I'm astounded a device can even get to market with this kind of flaw.
  2. Keyboard lag issue - now I don't use the keyboard sound anyway but still, this is completely unacceptable.
  3. The wifi connection is flaky as **** - I would find myself turning wifi off and on again to get it to lock on to my home router properly.
  4. Antenna for cellualr data is far worse on this phone than the original Focus.. now I live in a terrible service area anyway but get one to two bars on my Focus most of the time. the Focus S struggles to get one bar and drops the connection completely almost every time I pick it up.
Ultimately, I simply gave up. i hard reset and packed it back in the box. Frankly it was depressing me to use the phone at all.

I've been with Windows Phone from the outset and have enjoyed it immensly. I still think it's one of the best OS out there but there are just too many drawbacks to it presently.

I am quietly optimistic about where the platform is heading and I was hoping the Focus S would tide me over until Windows Phone 8 but now I'm torn on sticking with my original Focus or jumping ship back to Android until MS gets its **** together.

I will say this - iff they don't hit it out of the park with Windows Phone 8 then I honestly see the platform failing completely.

PLEASE, Microsoft - make the next version of Windows Phone the excellent platform all of end users and early adopters know it can be.

For now, I think I'll take the split in the road, play around with another platform again for a while and keep my fingers crossed that MS score it big with WP8 and make me want to come running back and buy my next on contract phone back on the Windows Phone platform.

I guess we'll wait and see. :cool:

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wife's Focus S has the problem when connected to a stereo (car or otherwise) via the headphone jack. I have had an original Focus and now an L900, and the wife's original Focus as well - none of them have or had this problem, for what it's worth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077