How to prevent automatic purchases??

raruhs

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, my son took my nokia to play angry birds and he ended buying the application. Is there a way to make the market ask for a password like other stores? This is not good if someone take your phone and buy lots of stuff.

I am new to WPhone. Any help will be great!

Thanks

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
One of the HUGE weaknesses of WP7. My 3yo daughter has bought over 20.00 worth of Xbox extras for my avatar: a nice batman suit, a rottweiler to keep me company, etc. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard for them to implement a password or pin for purchases. In the meantime you have to watch your kids like hawks.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, my son took my nokia to play angry birds and he ended buying the application. Is there a way to make the market ask for a password like other stores? This is not good if someone take your phone and buy lots of stuff.

I am new to WPhone. Any help will be great!

Thanks
Lock the phone and dont let your kids play with it. :(

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
lol batman suit sounds awesome!

One of the HUGE weaknesses of WP7. My 3yo daughter has bought over 20.00 worth of Xbox extras for my avatar: a nice batman suit, a rottweiler to keep me company, etc. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard for them to implement a password or pin for purchases. In the meantime you have to watch your kids like hawks.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
But you would need the device to be assigned to this "child" account. So basically You would need a WP/zune device specifically for the kids..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The only solutions right now are.... (not really pretty)
1) Pin lock your phone and don't give it to anyone
2) If it's your child's device, create a child account (problem is they can just hard reset and put in a new account and bill it right to your wireless bill...)
3) Kill the data (either block data on the device (long shot since it's a smartphone and carriers make it mandatory to have data plans), or turn off wifi and cellular data and hope the person using it can't navigate their way to switch em on)
4) Call ATT and have them put a block on ATT purchases (untested, see below for ATT's information)

I think if you're going to give it to a kid to play games installed, killing the data through settings is the most effective. If they're old enough to understand how to switch it on, they should be old enough to comprehend what accidental purchases are, and should be able to follow directions not to do it. After using Windows Phone, if I were to choose devices for a family, Windows Phone definately is not in the best interest.

I was going to do this to prevent accidental purchases, but it requires you to "donate" 50 cents to prove you're an adult using your credit card... I don't mind doing that, but I cannot see how that proves anything and why they have to charge you for verification. Yeah, sure its cheaper than getting charged up the wazoo in accidnetal charges, but seriously, everyone else can just put a password on the account to make things easier, and we have to pay for some cumbersome work around... and as I pointed above, a kid with access to the internet could just figure out how to hard reset, make a new account with a fake age (since you apparently don't need a $0.50 verification to make an account saying you're an adult), and input that new account on their phone and get whatever billed right to their parents' wireless bill.

EDIT: Stumbled upon this: http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-WirelessParentalControls
Looks like you might be able to get a "Purchase Block," to prevent direct billing. That would mean kids would have to have a credit card on file to purchases things since they shouldn't be able to bill directly. This is something that boggles me again, because it is very similar to how carriers handled data before making data plans mandatory; people would be put on pay as you go data and then get bill shock. It's somewhat the same, but instead of little increments, it can happen sporadically.

Last edited:

raruhs

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the answers! Seems no so easy way to control, but at least there are some option I'm going to try.

Thanks

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Remove your credit card from the account?

I'm not sure about other carriers, but AT&T has their info in there, so when you hit buy, it can bill it straight to your bill even if you don't have a credit card associated with your Live ID. The only way to remove this I think is using a Purchase Block that ATT has with parental controls (you have to call them to enable this from what I understand).

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The problem is, he (and I on my phone) want to still be able to easily purchase apps ourselves, but want to keep our little ones who don't understand what they're pressing from making purchases. Removing credit cards, putting a block on account doesn't really apply to this use case. Every other OS has this figured out.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
It's a design decision. Enter your password once per session to unlock the phone and then you are never asked for it again(during the session). Or the iOS model where you are not asked for a password on unlock, but have to enter it when you buy something. I prefer the WP model.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a design decision. Enter your password once per session to unlock the phone and then you are never asked for it again(during the session). Or the iOS model where you are not asked for a password on unlock, but have to enter it when you buy something. I prefer the WP model.

i prefer the WP setup as well, but i understand the need for people with children who want to use their phone to play games having the need to implement more security.

ideally an option to turn on a pin/password to purchase would be ideal, because then we have the best of both systems.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
i prefer the WP setup as well, but i understand the need for people with children who want to use their phone to play games having the need to implement more security.

ideally an option to turn on a pin/password to purchase would be ideal, because then we have the best of both systems.

Agreed I hope MSFT puts that in Apollo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99