Thoughts from phone UI designer

timc166293

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
900 is rocking!!!! Have not used WM in a long time

Fixed with new hardware (replacement 900)?????
1. Zune music app crashing phone
2. Super slow Wi-Fi, Need to power cycle
3. Silver buttons stop working when screen is ?off?
4. Echo

Hardware wish list:
1. The SIM card cover is not flush and pops up a little with pressure in middle of phone. Saw this on every phone I looked at.
2. Charger needed at bottom
3. HDMI / WDMI
4. Many 3rd party wired headsets with volume buttons on them do not work (Apple, Shure)
5. Notification LED as on past WM phones (and like RIM and Android)
6. Kick stand

Software ? Major:
1. No send contacts function
2. Phone volume should never go to ?zero? / off
3. Need advanced email tab at email setup the first time
4. Need name and number matching from phone keyboard ? old WM feature
a. Would like thick font numbers as they are typed on the screen
5. Would like android notification type top bar
6. Security password should hide appointments, etc.
7. Zune on phone only a subset of Zune HD
a. Need IE favorite syncing like iPhone with folders
8. Making text larger on IE does not auto format screen to new text size as Android
9. No unified email boxes like iPhone
10. Every phone number in ?people? should allow texting like the Android
a. Text button should be next to the right of the phone number not below
11. When going to an email account (That does not sync automatically) it should sync when launched ? not a manual button push as is today.
12. Quick way to get to airplane mode:
a. Use power button like android to get various options
13. Visual voicemail ? forward recording like Android
14. Would like a way to super impose owner info on lock screen (name and number at a minimum) just like old WM phones!
15. Separate ring and media volume
16. Some apps don?t work when connected to the computer (like market place!)
17. When in airplane mode and trying to connect to internet getting messages that say check data connection. The apps in question should know it is in airplane mode (like the iPhone)
18. Some screen transitions too slow
a. I don?t like seeing the counter move on things like email. It should just have the number and not count up
b. Slow screen to screen transition
19. Many times to takes a double tap to open home screen tiles
20. Portrait video in Zune app and others; like iPhone
21. Hitting the back button on the browser takes me to home screen and not the ?last? web page.

Software ? Minor:
1. Messaging icon is driving me crazy. It looks like a sideways face
2. Outlook icon with O looks like 0
3. Lines between items; email, people, etc.
4. Would like to see url disappear when scrolling stops on IE
5. Folders on second home screen???
6. 4th row of home icons you can?t read the text
7. It would be nice to set custom colors for the home screen short cuts
8. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. All home titles should be animated / consistent
10. Too many app stores
11. Sometimes back ground graphics with text confuse the main function of an application. Examples included market place application and zune.
12. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Would like from volume control to have a function for silent to go along with vibrate and ring
14. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. Add letters to phone lock screen so you can do ?four digit? words (like Android)
16. I like flicking emails to the right to see a delete function as is done on iPhone
17. Like on Android phones the phone vibrates when connected to a call
18. When looking for the next person in people search and hitting the top search bar all the text should be highlighted so one push of the back space button deletes the search string so you can easily start a new search

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Software – Minor:

I know this sounds crazy but maybe just maybe this was on purpose? Nah!!! :)

Oh, and speaking of purpose it actually has one. The emoticon changes based on the type and quantity of messages so its a nifty feature and nice touch compared to a boring old icon.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Phone volume should never go to zero? So you're never un a situation where you don't want your ringing phone to disturb other people but you can't/don't want to turn it off? THAT'S WHY VIBRATE FUNCTION WAS INVENTED. Volume being able to be turned off is a FEATURE, not an issue. Going over your list, I infer you are a "currently unemployed" phone UI designer. And from #1 on your software (minor) category I gather you've also never sent or received a text message. IT'S CALLED A SMILEY. Thanks for playing.

Also: it's called WP, not wm.

timc166293

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Phone volume should never go to zero? So you're never un a situation where you don't want your ringing phone to disturb other people but you can't/don't want to turn it off? THAT'S WHY VIBRATE FUNCTION WAS INVENTED. Volume being able to be turned off is a FEATURE, not an issue. Going over your list, I infer you are a "currently unemployed" phone UI designer. And from #1 on your software (minor) category I gather you've also never sent or received a text message. IT'S CALLED A SMILEY. Thanks for playing.

Also: it's called WP, not wm.
Keep input coming!!!

Volume on "call" should never go to zero

I know it is a smiley face. A little to cute....Stick with bubble like iphone

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the smiley face if I wanted a bubble like the iPhone I would have kept my iPhone :p

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Being bored made me do this...Had to get my mind off the Pacers game...I don't have experience with all of the things so I am going to assume what the OP says is true.

Hardware:
1. Not noticed this on mine.
2. Fine with where it is since I don't use any type of dock...personal choice I guess
3. Some way to connect to external monitor/tv would be nice, not a must
4. Never use one...couldn't hurt though
5. very much agree
6. no thanks

Software Major:
1. Not needed for most people
2. disagree, even during calls
3. Email was fine for me, maybe be more specific with what you want
4. Not sure what your asking for
a. Def. personal preference. DEF. not major.
5. Kind of defeats the purpose of WP7's gui
6. No opinion on this.
7. What exactly are you missing that you want?
8. To me, this should be much higher on your list
9. I only use one...possibly useful
10. I prefer it doesn't. I have accidently texted to someone's home phone because my Android phone allowed it.
a. Just a difference. Different OS, different setup.
11. Never dealt with this. Assuming I understand you, this would be useful.
12. There is an app "connectivity" or something like that that can make a tile for this. Would like it to be built in though.
a. Not needed at this moment.
13. Never have used it so can't respond.
14. Could be an option worth having. Possibly Apollo
15. Been said many times. Agreed.
16. I get why this is done but it does bug me also.
17. Maybe they do but just use a generic message instead of a specific one. Def. not a major issue.
18. Have not seen this. A lot faster than most Android phones I have used/seen. WP7 smoothness is usually the one thing everyone agrees on.
a. Again, not every OS is the same. It is a GUI choice by Windows that while not any more useful, it flows well and looks good. How is this major?
b. same as 18 and def. not true or less true than any other phone seen.
19. I thought this was true. I realized that it just doesn't open when the screen is still sliding and you touch them. If you stop the sliding manually or let it stop on its own, it only takes one touch.
20. Hasn't bothered me. Couldn't hurt to have though.
21. Seems to go back for me.

Software - Minor:
1. That was the point. A GUI choice.
2. Really doing your best to nit pick huh? WP7 isn't Android to where you can change every detail. It's done like that for a reason.
3. Style choice again. I like the minimalist choices made. I also think the font size and color changes does a good job separating different items.
4. No issue for me.
5. Wouldn't mind having this also though they use separating by letter when the list gets above 40. One folder does exist when your talking about games. More could be useful.
6. This should be changed. They did it to line up with the arrow/circle but is needed.
7. I could see more small changes like this in Apollo.
9. Animation just for animation makes no sense. Live if only is beneficial.
10. Huh?????
11. Preference. Never has confused me.
13. Agree.
15. Maybe patent issue?
16. I like this also.
17. Don't ever remember my ANdroid doing this nor have I cared.
18. Can't imagine me doing a bunch of searches though I agree.

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why so many people want a pull down from the top notification system. It's rediculously uncomfortable to reach the very top of the phones screen on most bigger phones.

I think there needs to be some kind of notifications for apps not on the start screen, but not a pull down thing like everyone else has. Windows phone is unique and it needs to stay that way.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
2. Charger needed at bottom

No thanks. Top makes it more compatible with different holders, easy to prop up in a upholder.

3. HDMI / WDMI

Sure, why not? I still don't understand why this feature is in demand with so many people though. Are there really that many occasions where people need to stream video or pics to a TV set from a phone? I've never had the need or desire to do this.

5. Notification LED as on past WM phones (and like RIM and Android)

Agree, I'd like this too.

6. Kick stand

Yes, that would be nice for watching Netflix.

1. No send contacts function

Agreed, we need this.

9. No unified email boxes like iPhone

I think is actually is an option already. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

12. Quick way to get to airplane mode

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/430cf007-731f-4357-af7b-b897bff25a2c

15. Separate ring and media volume

Yes, absolutely!

16. Some apps don?t work when connected to the computer (like market place!)
17. When in airplane mode and trying to connect to internet getting messages that say check data connection. The apps in question should know it is in airplane mode (like the iPhone)
18. Some screen transitions too slow
a. I don?t like seeing the counter move on things like email. It should just have the number and not count up
b. Slow screen to screen transition

2. Outlook icon with O looks like 0
3. Lines between items; email, people, etc.

Ee0UE.jpg

21. Hitting the back button on the browser takes me to home screen and not the ?last? web page.

Yes, this is annoying. I agree completely.

5. Folders on second home screen???

Yes, I love this idea! Well done. :cool:

9. All home titles should be animated / consistent

Nah, I don't need 8 tiles all wiggling and flipping all the time. That's way over the top and unnecessary. I would like to see developers get a little more creative with the tiles though and I think there's room to add a bit more function to them.

10. Too many app stores

9Ezan.jpg

clockworksnarf

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
The email inboxes don't unify automatically like they do on iPhone, but it's easily doable by clicking the "..." and selecting "link inbox"

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12