Major Camera Problems

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I know that a lot of people have already complained about the picture quality of the Lumia 900 and it seems unnecessary to add to it, but earlier today I experienced some very unsatisfactory results.
I've had my Lumia for about 15 days down and I've noticed that every time I take a picture I get a different result. Sometimes (most the time) everything is washed blue or green. Other times the picture fine (though colors are never correct).
This time, however, the camera failed to adjust to some incoming light and as a result the picture has a very washed out look to it. I couldn't imagine the Lumia 900 taking such terrible pictures and so I'm wondering if my specific device has issues.
I will upload a picture of what I'm referring to (I took many, all looked the same).

The washed out effect is seen here on the ceiling of Union Station in KC
Note: The camera was wiped of any fingerprints or smudges and the settings were on default (8mp). The washing out is a result of light coming in from a window to the right of the picture.

21039d1335741923-wp_000234.jpg

Last edited:

ictia

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
folks - this is my second wp device (lg quantum was first). the camera software is software is something that is usually device specific -- i.e. oem provided/tweaked. as with my quantum, i had to play with the settings to get the image quality that looks good "to me". here are the settings i'm using:

scenes - macro, exposure - 1.0, iso - 400, metering mode - center shot, saturation - low, focus mode - macro, flash off

you can play with the settings and see what looks best to you. you might have to tweak for certain special lighting situation ... yea, i know, camera AI should be super smart enough by now to mimic exactly what our eyes see :)

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Whatever settings you do, the camera is a let down.

Outside, very lighted areas, the pictures come out good at best and at times still get the halo effect

INdoors, low lighted, dont get me started...it is just terrible...

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the camera has been the achillies heal for the lumia 900 which advertised that it was a great camera not good but great and yet we all have these issues and unless you are a camera pro the avg person has no idea about messing with iso's and all of these other options just bad i only hope what comes in october -dec from nokia will be 100 times better than what they offered in this sensor / lens or whatever the excuse is.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think SophieCam looked any better. I am holding out hope that Nokia will update the camera drivers/software and make it better. I realize this camera will never have good night pictures but I am sure daylight pics can be made better.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
folks - this is my second wp device (lg quantum was first). the camera software is software is something that is usually device specific -- i.e. oem provided/tweaked. as with my quantum, i had to play with the settings to get the image quality that looks good "to me". here are the settings i'm using:

scenes - macro, exposure - 1.0, iso - 400, metering mode - center shot, saturation - low, focus mode - macro, flash off

you can play with the settings and see what looks best to you. you might have to tweak for certain special lighting situation ... yea, i know, camera AI should be super smart enough by now to mimic exactly what our eyes see :)

No I disagree. I've had other phones with smaller sensors and crappier optics that have taken better pictures, without having to adjust the settings and take multiple photos. This includes both Windows Phone and other OSes. Someone dropped the ball on this. And it's absurd that one would be expected to adjust settings to capture the moment before it's gone.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I understand that there are apps that can greatly increase photo quality, but if I'm going to be taking hundreds of photos with the Lumia 900 I'm not going to edit each one. I really expected better default photo quality.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded sophiecam last week to see if it helped, it didnt..pictures come out just as bad in certain types of pictures...

Nothing is fixing this camera except for nokia coming to my house and putting in a BSI sensor in my phone or nokia has some magical software update...

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you take the picture with the hardware button or by tapping on the screen? If you used the button, try taking the picture by tapping on the screen. For some reason, the button does a terrible job with focusing and white balance, whereas tapping the screen results in MUCH better pictures.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Did you take the picture with the hardware button or by tapping on the screen? If you used the button, try taking the picture by tapping on the screen. For some reason, the button does a terrible job with focusing and white balance, whereas tapping the screen results in MUCH better pictures.
I tried both, I believe the one in my original post is with the button, but I couldn't tell the difference.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

+1

I get pretty darn good pics doing this. The only other thing I recommend is setting ISO to 200 or 400.
WP_000105.jpg

WP_000026.jpg

WP_000011.jpg

WP_000002.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb