Earbuds, Rhaspody, & Volume

properbostonian

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
While using the Rhaspody app and my iPhone earbuds, I need to turn the volume all the way up to 28 or 29 to hear the music. What am I doing wrong? Is it the App, the earbuds, or the phone?

If it's the earbuds, can someone recommend a good quality semi-inexpensive pair?

Thank you.

retropenguin

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
While using the Rhaspody app and my iPhone earbuds, I need to turn the volume all the way up to 28 or 29 to hear the music. What am I doing wrong? Is it the App, the earbuds, or the phone?

If it's the earbuds, can someone recommend a good quality semi-inexpensive pair?

Thank you.

Sadly its the device. the max volume on this phone feels way less as compared to other phones.

Jomon

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Sadly its the device. the max volume on this phone feels way less as compared to other phones.

I noticed on my device that the volume is much lower while playing music on music apps other than the native Zune music player. I have to turn the volume all the way up but on Zune, I usually turn the volume to around 24 and that's the loudest I can tolerate.

AJnAtlanta13

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Its the phone. I have tried iphone and cheap sony and phillips earbuds and it sounds medium at 30/30. On the subway or downtown I cant even hear it. Its extremely annoying and hopefully they fix it.

Rebelatheart

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I noticed on my device that the volume is much lower while playing music on music apps other than the native Zune music player. I have to turn the volume all the way up but on Zune, I usually turn the volume to around 24 and that's the loudest I can tolerate.

Yep. Playing music on the Zune app still blows in comparison to pretty much every other smartphone I have ever had, including my iPhone 4S i have laying around....but on music apps...datpiff for instance, the music is literally barely audible. Youtube pro is better, but still not as loud as the Zune player, which itself isnt loud.

Whats weird is that playing music through these apps (datpiff, youtube pro) on the speaker, it sounds basically the same as music through zune player. Maybe a little lower...but plug in headphones and the drop is ridicoulous.

Hoping there is a fix.

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Playing music on the Zune app still blows in comparison to pretty much every other smartphone I have ever had, including my iPhone 4S i have laying around....but on music apps...datpiff for instance, the music is literally barely audible. Youtube pro is better, but still not as loud as the Zune player, which itself isnt loud.

Whats weird is that playing music through these apps (datpiff, youtube pro) on the speaker, it sounds basically the same as music through zune player. Maybe a little lower...but plug in headphones and the drop is ridicoulous.

Hoping there is a fix.

Yeah - I have some cheap rocketfish earbuds that are plenty loud at 20/30 - but my Sennheisers CX-300II are really quiet in comparison - even up to 30/30. I also have Klipsch Image One's and they sound pretty loud. I think it might have to do with the impedance and/or the phone's detection of the headphones. This is definitely unusual - they probably spent too much time optimizing for those stupid Monster headsets they charge an arm and a leg for :p

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually I might be on to something there. My Sennheisers are 16 Ohm and my Klipsche are 32 Ohm, but my rocketfish are 16 ohm... now the rocketfish are AHJ, so maybe they get a different headphone profile? Does the hardware adjust output based on impedance? My research on SPL and impedance doesn't seem to relate to the behavior I'm seeing from the phone. :confused:

properbostonian

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually I might be on to something there. My Sennheisers are 16 Ohm and my Klipsche are 32 Ohm, but my rocketfish are 16 ohm... now the rocketfish are AHJ, so maybe they get a different headphone profile? Does the hardware adjust output based on impedance? My research on SPL and impedance doesn't seem to relate to the behavior I'm seeing from the phone. :confused:

That's interesting. I will look for earbuds at that have 16 ohm.

Since I posted I tried two other brands that were lying around my house collecting dust and they worked just as well at the iPhone earbuds: pretty darn lousy.

Anyone know if this sound issue can be corrected via a firmware update or is this a hardware issue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo