Lumia Down!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I was sitting on a plane yesterday flying home. I was, as usual, reading WPCentral when I noticed something odd with my screen. Quick phone history. I have a White L900 with the screen hew issue. Back to my story. As I am sliding the screen up I notice its starting to stutter. Odd, its never done that before so I flick the screen it seams fine I'm good. I get the announcement. You know the one every tech geek hates. "Please turn off all electronic devices" I put my L900 in flight mode and power down slide screen method not long press. The flight takes off. When we hit 10,000 feet I get the announcement we all love to hear. "You can not use your electronic devices" I power up my L900... Nokia screen... Rethink Possible screen.................. 10 minutes pass and I am still on the Rethink Possible screen. The phone powers down I think, okay here we go, but no still stuck on the Rethink Possible screen. That is where I am now. This Lumia 900 powers on goes to the Rethink Possible screen sits for about 10 minutes then powers down and sticks at the Rethink Possible screen. I watched it do that for about 30 minutes last night. I tried everything trying to bring it back. Nothing has worked. I'm pissed I have pictures on there that haven't been synced to Zune yet.

I removed the sim when I landed (Glad I had a paper clip with me to open the sim door) put it in my L800. I keep it with me for emergencies like this. Its off to the AT&T store today for a replacement. I have really love this Lumia design but if they don't have the white in stock that Titan II just might get a shot.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Oh wow! Sorry to hear that. How long have you had yours before it did that? I am coming up on my 30 days next week and I hope nothing happens after that.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Oh wow! Sorry to hear that. How long have you had yours before it did that? I am coming up on my 30 days next week and I hope nothing happens after that.

I have had this one for less than 2 weeks. I am going to recommend that anyone with the Purple Hew issue take it back for replacement. The way the screen was stuttering reminded me of my old EVO. My EVO did that when it was plugged in to AC power and would only do this when I wasn't holding the phone in my hand. I found out that this was do to a grounding issue. I am thinking that the Lumia 900 devices with the purple hew might be having some type of grounding problem or maybe its is just a bad screen. My thoughts are that this is hardware not software so swap them out if you can. I would hate for someone else to have there phone die when you need it most.

There were storms in the area when I landed at Love field last night. If I hadn't had my L800 with me my Wife would have been worried sick not hearing from me when I landed.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Did everything include a hard reset? I had a similar issue with my hd7 after several months of use... Happened twice within a week and then not once since. Hard reset fixed it both times. That was back in November, and the issue hasn't popped up since.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
@ Dave Blake, thank you very much. I exchanged the one with the purple hue, but it is a good point to know.

I really like this phone and hoping to keep it longer than my usual 8-10, well in case of the Vivid it was just over a month. Lol

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Did everything include a hard reset? I had a similar issue with my hd7 after several months of use... Happened twice within a week and then not once since. Hard reset fixed it both times. That was back in November, and the issue hasn't popped up since.

I can't get it to come up to to where I can hard reset it. I'm just SOL with a bricked device that won't go past the Rethink Possible screen

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I can't get it to come up to to where I can hard reset it. I'm just SOL with a bricked device that won't go past the Rethink Possible screen
I believe you can hard reset with the button combination of holding down volume, power, and camera together and then let go of the power after 5 secs or if feel a vibration and 5 secs later the other two.

I would verify the sequence before trying it to be sure. :)

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I believe you can hard reset with the button combination of holding down volume, power, and camera together and then let go of the power after 5 secs or if feel a vibration and 5 secs later the other two.

I would verify the sequence before trying it to be sure. :)

THanks for the tip I beleave it is volume down, camera, power and yes I tried. Nothing works. I could get it to data transfer screen but that's it. I tried all combination at this point I have nothing to lose.

Nothing seams to work.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
THanks for the tip I beleave it is volume down, camera, power and yes I tried. Nothing works. I could get it to data transfer screen but that's it. I tried all combination at this point I have nothing to lose.

Nothing seams to work.
That's a bummer. :(

Good luck with the replacement, hope you stay with the Lumia :)

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I worked with the local Nokia rep and the AT&T Lumia Store rep to prove that my Lumia was not repairable. I left with a Titan II. :( They only had one White Lumia available it had the Purple hew issue. I am done with the Lumia 900 for a while. I still have my Lumia 800 though.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
All they would say is "this is the first time I've seen that". They were honestly concerned about the deal. Nokia will get this worked out. If they would have had a good white Lumia I would have taken it and not gotten the Titan II.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I worked with the local Nokia rep and the AT&T Lumia Store rep to prove that my Lumia was not repairable. I left with a Titan II. :( They only had one White Lumia available it had the Purple hew issue. I am done with the Lumia 900 for a while. I still have my Lumia 800 though.
Glad you found something you like. Good luck with Titan 2, hope it is totally problem free for you.

rutvik19

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear that! The AT&T rep near me told me that there is a Warranty warehouse where you can go in person to get a device swapped out, but I forgot where it was. Maybe Irving?

So far my L900W has been quite nice. LTE is amazing. I haven't messed around with the camera too much. It's on my list of things to fully test out. Now I just hope it lasts the full 2 year contract term :straight:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I remember somebody posting the same exact issue with the splash screen lockup when turning on the phone. Tha tperson said it was a result of draining his battery to nothing and then charging and turning on...Not sure if your is the same circumstance

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I remember somebody posting the same exact issue with the splash screen lockup when turning on the phone. Tha tperson said it was a result of draining his battery to nothing and then charging and turning on...Not sure if your is the same circumstance

No mine was almost fully charged when I got on the plane. I had been charging for a round an hour wile waiting for the flight.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, sucks that this has happened to you. Thanks for the 411 and might I add, I too hate that message about shutting down our electronic devices. I mean even the kindle?

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to here, Im on my 3rd Lumia 900 but finally got a good one. I had bought 3 on a family plan but the one i kept for myself had the data issue so i promptly returned it. The 2nd one had the back button issue so i returned that one. Finally got one that acts like the rest of my Lumia's... I still love the phone its a work in progress though.

You dont set your phone to update to skydrive? I know it decreases the size of the image but at least its better than nothing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos