Power Button Problem

wp_ish

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Two days ago, my arrive started shutting down continuously throughout the day. I have had the phone since it was released (and my wife and sister have one as well) and this was the first problem of any type I have seen.

Anywho, trying to figure out what was happening, I noticed that when I would tap the power button to turn off the screen, the shut down prompt would appear as if I had held the button down. And, no matter what I did, the phone would then shut down in about 5 seconds. So, for the last two days I have been turning on the phone using the camera button and letting the screen time out.

This seems like a hardware problem, but wanted to see if anyone had had something similar and if there is a recommended fix for it? Or, does the phone need to be repaired or replaced?

Thanks for any help.

Sychophantom

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. If it isn't fixed today when I hit the local Sprint store, I'm breaking my contract. Already called multiple times about speed and call issues, now physical problems with the phone too.

I love WP7, and I really like the Arrive. But once again Sprint's lack of support kills any urge for me to stay with them.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
EXACT same issues in every way happened to my Arrive. Sprint replaced it with a refurb for $35.

Now my replacement has a terrible cellular radio and is being replaced but Sprint has been great working with me on all these issues.

Also the Sprint tech repair cleaned out the power button and tried to fix it to no avail. The problem sure as heck won't fix itself so if you experience it, you'll be visiting a Sprint repair center in the future.

aeronez

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I actually just got this same problem today, and I have no idea how it happened. I haven't even dropped it or did anything out of the ordinary to the phone either. If we wanted to get it repaired at the Sprint store, would we need to have a warranty to cover it?

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you would need to have TEP on your plan to have it repaired for free, otherwise it would most likely be a $35 fee. Any Sprint authorized service and repair center or corporate store will charge you that without TEP.

Note: TEP recently got split into two tiers, the standard $8/month and higher end $11/month for top-shelf smartphones. I believe the Arrive falls into the $11 group.

rkkrb

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Pwer button problem

I am having the same issue with the power button. If press it the shut down prompt apprears and then just shuts my phone off.

Other than taking it to the sprint store, did anyone find a solution to this issue. It just suddenly started happening and the phone has never been dropped or mishandled.

Thanks

LeeWarner

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Same happened to me about 3 months ago on my launch-day Arrive. Took it to a sprint store and 35 bucks later got a new arrive. They didn't give me a new battery though.

rkkrb

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue with the power button. If press it the shut down prompt apprears and then just shuts my phone off.

Other than taking it to the sprint store, did anyone find a solution to this issue. It just suddenly started happening and the phone has never been dropped or mishandled.

Thanks
Update.... my symptons on the phone were ditto to everyone else. I even called my local sprint store and have an appointment this wednesday.

Luckily I was able to fix my phone after reading a blog on the internet .... cannot remember what the site is. It said to uninstall the last few apps installed on the phone and then recycle the phone by pulling the battery out and then pressing on the power button for a few seconds. After that wait for 30 secs and then put the battery back in.

My symptoms were as follows:

1. Power button behaving abnormally
2. pressing on button would bring the power off screen. No matter what I did the phone would power off in a few seconds.
3. If i drained the battery the phone would continue rebooting (i had not plugged the phone for powering yet)
4. after a couple of days..the battery started draining really quickly.
5. The power button just stopped working alltogether. Had to pull the battery out to reboot phone and use the slide out keyboard to access the phone as power button was not working.

I unistalled my last application "Map My Ride" and then recycled phone.....everything working now. No issues at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss