List your bugs

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Having noticed a few bugs with the 710, I decided to start a bugs list, to see what others are experiencing.

Currently, I see the following bugs:

- NO SERVICE BUG
Killer for me, my network has inconsistent signal in place, and thus sometimes loses it for a split-second, or in a certain place. On my TP2, I move slightly, or sometimes not even move, and the signal is back within a second or so. No hassle. On the 710, it will not regain signal for at least 20 seconds, even when you move outside and "know" there is a signal present (and a strong one at that). It will usually return, though on one occasion, it required a restart before it could get back on the mobile network - which means potentially, you could lose signal, and then for as long as you don't look at the phone, the device becomes nigh-on-useless, unable to receive calls, texts, emails etc...

- PROXIMITY SENSOR DURING CALLS
On longer calls, it takes a while to re-light the screen, it's not instant as you'd expect. Sometimes it's faster to press the power button manually, however sometimes you do that and as you do it comes back on and you knock it back off lol. It just makes the device annoying to use more than anything. You can't end a call, until the screen comes back alive,, unlike the TP2 with its dedicated call end button... so Nokia needs to get this right tbh.

- NOKIA MUSIC INSTABILITIES
Not a big problem, but sometimes Nokia music can be a bit slow/buggy. It has gotten better for me since I re-installed it, though it's still not perfect. Before the re-install, it was causing the phone to crash after I'd run it, BSOD errors and sometimes I was unable to end a call I'd made.

- STRANGE SCREEN/GRAPHIC ISSUES
This has only happened once or twice in 2 months, but the graphics have failed, though for only a split second. Sort of like a graphics card when it overheats or the memory is bad/overloaded, but it literally lasts a split second. No great deal, could actually be more related to 3rd party apps.

- LOCK SCREEN / SLOWDOWN
Yesterday, my lock screen went very strange to open, it was moving very slow, no acceleration etc. I guess this could possibly be caused by a dirty screen/grease etc, but once I pressed power button on and off, it came back. Sometimes the OS can lag, but its not very often. I would hope it doesn't happen during the Smoked by Windows Phone challenge though, else it could be embarrassing.

I think there is more, but will add them as and when I think of them. Overall, the phone is solid and reliable, but anyone who says they are bug-free, is simply lying. The smartphone BETA test may be over, but the 710 seems more like a release candidate than a commercial product (maybe that's Nokia are selling them off so cheap).

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any major issues, but the minor annoyances I encounter are

- No Service
- Lock Screen gets stuck (have to pull it down again)
- Power button delay - sometimes when you press the power button, the phone doesn't react for a second or two.
- Camera Quality - would like to see some improved focus through firmware fix

As for the proximity sensor I like that it has that delay with it. I've used phones where the proximity sensor will react right away even if you pull your phone slightly away from your face, and then you end up pushing something by mistake. The delay lets you have a little time to move your arm around.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I've never really thought about the camera quality as a bug, though now you mention it, Nokia really should have provided better firmware/processing upon release. Shame on them for not doing so.

I've noticed the power button delay myself, and yes it can be embarrassing, when you're on one hand telling friends how fast your phone is, and on the other hand, having to wait for the device to respond.

I guess the proximity sensor is a bit of a subjective one, I can understand your point about the delay being useful, but sometimes I want to end a call right away, not 2 seconds after I said goodbye lol.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one experiencing the no service bug, Nokia really must address this bug as a matter of urgency, because as it stands, this will be my first Nokia device for 7 years, swayed by the WP operating system and hardware buttons, and my last ever, if the no service bug is not resolved with Tango. I will probably opt for a 7 Mozart with its Xenon flash if they don't sort it out - and I can't really understand why they allowed this to make it through their QC procedures - having service is an inherent part of a mobile phone.

Does your lock screen bug happen often??

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Two problems I've had so far are
- Phone doesn't blank the screen fast enough when making a call, causing your ear to hang up the line.
- Hardware button is "sloppy" for lack of a better word. Sometimes when pushing the back arrow the phone will start opening up the various apps I have pinned.

chomsky11

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Two problems I've had so far are
- Phone doesn't blank the screen fast enough when making a call, causing your ear to hang up the line.
- Hardware button is "sloppy" for lack of a better word. Sometimes when pushing the back arrow the phone will start opening up the various apps I have pinned.
I also have the sloppy HW button complaint, along with a little frustration with how much pressure it takes to activate the button. I'm coming from a Focus S (lost it, gutted), and the haptic keys on the S were so much easier to use. Guess it comes down to going from a "high end" device like the S to a mid range one like the 710.

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
- LOCK SCREEN / SLOWDOWN
(there's no point in fighting it, just turn screen off and back on and it will work. Occurs probably five times in the past three months.)

- SPEAKERPHONE USE for OTHER END
(microphone picks up way too much background noise that other caller complains how terrible it is. Occurs every time, even in a quiet room.)

- DISAPPEARING KEYBOARD
(I know this is solved in recent OS updates, but it until T-Mobile releases any update to us, it's a bug all around. Occurs maybe once a day.)

That's it for me, otherwise very happy with it.

Update: after 7.10.8773.98 update from T-Mobile, all three problems still occur for me.

Last edited:

psychic717#WP

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Brightness flickering anyone?
Many people have this, and I hope Nokia will fix it on a firmware update...I'm guessing this happens on all lumia 710, because of so many users reporting the exact same issue (also reports of same problem on lumia 800 and 900). It's so annoying...

"This flicker is reproduced when some contrast object appears on the screen (for example when you are scrolling web page with plain text, and then a dark banner scrolls into the screen, the backlight level changes)"

More details here:
Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 710 screen brightness flickering - Nokia Support Discussions

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Brightness flickering anyone?
Many people have this, and I hope Nokia will fix it on a firmware update...I'm guessing this happens on all lumia 710, because of so many users reporting the exact same issue (also reports of same problem on lumia 800 and 900). It's so annoying...

"This flicker is reproduced when some contrast object appears on the screen (for example when you are scrolling web page with plain text, and then a dark banner scrolls into the screen, the backlight level changes)"

More details here:
Nokia Support Discussions - Lumia 710 screen brightness flickering - Nokia Support Discussions

Yep, I get the flickering too.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Been running Tango for a week now, and have made a couple of observations...

NO NETWORK BUG
Seems to have disappeared thus far, no more waiting around for 20 seconds everytime the network drops, to regain signal. This was the big one for me, so I hope it continues.

SLOWDOWN / STABILITY
I cant help but feel that Tango is noticeably slower and more buggy than Mango was. When loading up text messages, they slow down a bit, as can transitions etc... I'm not suggesting its by any means slow but it just seems annoying and less smooth in comparison to Mango. Also, I feel stability has been dented a little, as things are failing a little more often. Marketplace wouldn't load until a restart yesterday, Nokia music messing around every now and again. Possibly other things, nothing major, just dont understand why Tango lost some of the reliability of Mango.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Very strange, but here's one for y'all :

I never had any issue what so ever with the so called 'disappearing' keyboard.
But SINCE the tango update, I'm bugged by it while making a call :
In some cases one needs to type in his phone number, or say an account number, while calling. And that's when the keyboard vanishes everytime I try to strike a key. As if it is scared and jumps away when my finger approaches :straight:

This is since day 1 after the update, so thank you MS for making a disappointing experience even worse...unbelievable :mad:

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
SLOWDOWN / STABILITY
I cant help but feel that Tango is noticeably slower and more buggy than Mango was. When loading up text messages, they slow down a bit, as can transitions etc... I'm not suggesting its by any means slow but it just seems annoying and less smooth in comparison to Mango. Also, I feel stability has been dented a little, as things are failing a little more often. Marketplace wouldn't load until a restart yesterday, Nokia music messing around every now and again. Possibly other things, nothing major, just dont understand why Tango lost some of the reliability of Mango.

I am definitely noticing this too. And it IS noticable.
Tapping through the phonebook for instance used to be instantly, no delay, but now there is.

To be honest, I was expecting this BIG time. It's just like Windows itself, dudes. Never quite what they claim it to be.
Do a clean install of windows, and it seems to fly. But install a couple drivers and some updates, and all a sudden you get lags all around. Same thing really...

And this WILL get worse instead of better, no matter how hard they yell to us that they try to avoid it.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I've just noticed that im getting a green tint whenever anything happens on the screen (keyboard presses, graphic changes etc)...

Anyone else had this? Going to try a restart and hope I dont have to claim under warranty lol...

speedaswin

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
hi. i am having a problem with my new nokia lumia 710

In The tellme voice recognition software .Whenever I tell it to type a message it goes to the thinking screen but nothing ever comes back.... It just keeps thinking......But all other tell me functions like 'text xxxx','call xxxx' are working fine . and the same msg problem does'nt appear when i connect it to zune software. what is the problem
pls anyone who knows the ans pls reply for me..

DaiaX

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Monster Purity much more responsive if you wake the phone.
I only have In-Ear, two taps for next song and three taps for previous is not that responsive if you have screen locked completely. Maybe it's only me ..

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed a new bug recently. When my phone is on the lock screen and I push the power button to turn the screen off, the screen turns off for a second then pops back on.

Also, sometimes when the phone is on the lock screen, the screen doesn't turn off after a minute like it should when left alone. Instead it just stays on all the time.

The only solution is to get out of the lock screen, then push the power button to turn the screen off.

I checked for apps running in the background but there is nothing else running on the phone.

jc0187

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
When i switch the am/fm radio to speakerphone, the radio cuts on and off and sometimes will completely shut off when my screen darkens.
Phone will turn on/off randomly.
Turning phone side ways while typing causes keyboard to disappear.
Incoming phone calls go directly to voice mail. ( not sure if network problem)

jc0187

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
So this isn't really a new bug, but I thought I would list it now. So when I view YouTube videos, I will then hit the back key. Only when I do hit the back key it just reloads the current page im on instead of taking me back to the YouTube video lists. I have to hit the back key several times in quick succession, and only then will it return me to the previous page. Anyone else??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss