This is how you close an App permanently

wasonamit

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought I would share something which I learned today about Windows Phone OS.

To close an App Permanently, also one needs to do is double click (or double press) the arrow key

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually, this isn't exactly true.

Metro Apps are kind of like webpages in a way. When you launch an app and are in the main menu, you navigate from that menu to other pages. Pressing the back button will fold you out to the previous screen. If you only navigate 1 page in from the main menu, then pressing back twice will close the app. But if you're 2 or 3 pages in, you have to press back the same number of times.

Example:
MainPage
Click to page 1
Click to page 2

Pressing back twice will only get you to the MainPage. You'd have to press it a third time to back out of the app.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well apps are never actually open unless your in IT .. Quick resumes FREEZES an app in time witch mean it doesn't actually use power while being on WAIT mode.

only a few apps do like WPcentral app and weather network witch actually run in the background . and you can see does apps in your settings --> background apps. and also turn them off.

99% of apps you DONT need to close cause it does nothing for your phone's performance.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
well apps are never actually open unless your in IT .. Quick resumes FREEZES an app in time witch mean it doesn't actually use power while being on WAIT mode.

only a few apps do like WPcentral app and weather network witch actually run in the background . and you can see does apps in your settings --> background apps. and also turn them off.

99% of apps you DONT need to close cause it does nothing for your phone's performance.

Why can't I disable WPC's background app processes? If I leave an app by hitting the windows button does that also close it out?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
No the best way to close out an app is to hit the back button to get out of it. If it's the kind where the back button will just take you back but stay inside the same app, you're maybe better off just hitting the windows button and letting the OS close it on it's own later. Either way it shouldn't bother you.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No the best way to close out an app is to hit the back button to get out of it. If it's the kind where the back button will just take you back but stay inside the same app, you're maybe better off just hitting the windows button and letting the OS close it on it's own later. Either way it shouldn't bother you.

I have no idea what that means...

How is hitting back and exiting different than hitting Windows and going to the home screen? I thought the Windows button was like the home button on the iPhone so I am always going back to the home screen it should close out the app. When I hit Windows does it not close out the app immediately as in kill it's CPU time?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what that means...

How is hitting back and exiting different than hitting Windows and going to the home screen? I thought the Windows button was like the home button on the iPhone so I am always going back to the home screen it should close out the app. When I hit Windows does it not close out the app immediately as in kill it's CPU time?

Pressing the 'Home' button from within an app 'tombstones' the app. Tombstoning is Windows Phones way of multi-tasking. WP allows for up to 5 Apps to be tombstoned. These apps are basically 'stored in memory' and have no negative impact on battery and aren't getting any CPU cycles (if I'm not mistaken). To see your tombstoned apps, you hold the back button down for a second. To prevent an app or 'close an app that's been tombstoned', you press the back button until you're 'backed out' of it.

Background tasks and Tombstoned apps are totally different. Background tasks will update in the background and will take CPU cycles during their update intervals.

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Why can't I disable WPC's background app processes? If I leave an app by hitting the windows button does that also close it out?
People want to "close" out of their app because they feel that the apps are "running" in the background and it is consuming resources. Its not like that. Upon exit, Windows Phone 7.5 halts all running threads related to the app. The only thing that does not necessarily halt are events. Event listeners remain active and can act even when the app is halted. However, this should not cause concern. Thousands of listeners can be active simultaneously without causing strain on the system. Listeners were developed for just this purpose.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
People want to "close" out of their app because they feel that the apps are "running" in the background and it is consuming resources. Its not like that. Upon exit, Windows Phone 7.5 halts all running threads related to the app. The only thing that does not necessarily halt are events. Event listeners remain active and can act even when the app is halted. However, this should not cause concern. Thousands of listeners can be active simultaneously without causing strain on the system. Listeners were developed for just this purpose.

What's a listener? What kind of things do they do? What is WPC app listening for? When I leave an app how is it closed but an "event" is still going?

I don't understand all these things on WP7 and what specifically apps can do in the background. Help me please.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What's a listener? What kind of things do they do? What is WPC app listening for? When I leave an app how is it closed but an "event" is still going?

I don't understand all these things on WP7 and what specifically apps can do in the background. Help me please.

If you want to see what truly can run in the background even while an app is closed, go to settings/swipe sideways to applications, background tasks. That stuff can run in the background whenever it wants though you can customize this right there or inside the app. When you switch away from an app though, don't worry it's no longer actively sucking your battery UNLESS it's one of those in the list I mentioned above.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I've had two 'hot phone' events where something went wrong in the background and the phone got hot and drained battery in <1 hr. So, I've been feeling the need to close apps by backing out of them, rather than just hitting the Home button. I know I shouldn't have to do this, but the 'hot' events were unnverving enough that I'm being cautious till I figure out what's triggering them.

It'd be great if there was something like Task Manager (Windows desktop) that could show us what's running, ready to run, memory taken, etc... do you know of any tool like that that's accessible to consumers?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not optimal but you could probably go to the background tasks area and turn them all off then back on again to see if one was stuck or something. Truth is even in Android most task managers only show you open apps, not full on what background threads exactly are running (unless I recall wrong).

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Background agents are only allowed to run every 30 minutes for an extremely short amount of time. They don't run consistently in the background, & no, they don't make your phone get hot. You can control an apps agents through the app itself, or through the settings page. But tombstoned apps are not active, their state is just stored in memory for you, which is why the ones that aren't mango optimized have to "resume"

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you want to see what truly can run in the background even while an app is closed, go to settings/swipe sideways to applications, background tasks. That stuff can run in the background whenever it wants though you can customize this right there or inside the app. When you switch away from an app though, don't worry it's no longer actively sucking your battery UNLESS it's one of those in the list I mentioned above.

I know I'd just like to know more about all the apps in the advanced section that give no details and don't let me turn off. I'm aware I shouldn't have to worry. But I'd just like to understand more what all these things are so when something funny does happen it's easier for me to know why and how to fix it.

Example, on iOS it's very rare but sometimes apps can get "stuck" and knowing what happens when I purge it. I thought WP7 functioned essentially the same way when it came to apps but this list in the settings about background stuff that I don't understand fully is a little annoying.

IMO there is no reason the WPC app should be in that advanced list. What is it doing? I don't want apps like that ever doing anything in the background even if it's only for a max of 30 seconds every 30 minutes.

algor

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
If you open new application, your current one most likely will be not running but stay in 'waiting' open state which is not consuming resources. Press and hold back arrow to show list (horizontal)of all open application. You can swipe /scroll left - right to select one you want, tap it to bring into focus and make active. Sometime you want literally close it. For example password protected/encrypted application. In that case instead tap application in the list, just double click back arrow. Application get into the focus and close.

Last edited:

Mats Nylund

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
hi i writing here because i think it would be better if Nokia did but like an X in the upper corner witch you could exit all programs. it just gets on my nervers when i know like the internet is in resting in the background and i cant shut it down. but this is just my thought.
please respond and tell me what you guys think of this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234