Starting to have second thoughts about L900 and I haven't even received it yet

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I got kidnapped and robbed at knife-point last week and one of the many things the guy took was my HTC Titan. My wife and I went to the AT&T store the next day to give them a copy of the police statement. While there, she let me go ahead and use our available upgrade to order a Lumia since she knew I wanted it and it was cheaper than filing a claim against the phone insurance. Nobody around here had cyan in stock so the rep ordered it for mail fulfillment. I should have had it Friday but UPS screwed up and it got delayed until today.

We have since managed to recover my Titan so I don't absolutely NEED the Lumia at this point. I haven't paid much attention to the issues before now but seeing all these issues with the Lumia 900 is making me wonder if I'm making a mistake. Not to say that the Titan is perfect but it seems less problematic overall.

Does anyone here regret switching from another Gen2 phone to the Lumia 900 because of the issues? Should I send it back or go ahead and keep it? If I keep it, the thinking was that I would take the Lumia and give my Titan to my oldest and his Surround would go to his younger brother to replace his beat up feature phone.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind no matter the phone the most vocal people are those with issues

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not making excuses here, but also keep in mind that the majority of the issues reported on the L900 (buttons not responding, purple hue, camera focus) are all software related and I am confident that Nokia is actively working to resolve said issues ASAP (just my opinion, no fact). If you can't deal with that, then maybe you should cancel. Otherwise, look forward to enjoying a great looking/working phone.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Keep in mind no matter the phone the most vocal people are those with issues

It's true. Daniel made a great observation in a post over the weekend: based on the amount of people on the forums here and elsewhere discussing the Purple Screen issue, Daniel was surprised that only 10% of the respondents in this poll reported experiencing the Purple Screen issue.

The purple screen issue is a genuine annoyance, but if the rumored update fixes it, then the 900 can easily be described as the best Windows Phone available. Although the Focus 2 is looking pretty sweet right about now.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry about your experience OP. However, Nokia is aware of the purple hue issue and the capacitive buttons reading that they were held when they were tapped. People think that the camera not waking up the phone is a bug, but Nokia said that it's designed to where you have to wait 5 seconds after locking the screen to wake it up with the camera, and I've confirmed this is correct. What other issues are you concerned about?

Sent from my Titan II using Board Express

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a titan owner and the lumia runs circles around it. Its the better device over he Titan 1 & 2. If you're having doubts about getting a Lumia 900 don't get it.

EDIT: My Black Saturday Titan has gotten ZERO updates to fix a few annoyances, pretty shameful.

Last edited:

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I came from the HTC Titan myself and have absolutely zero regrets about getting this device. My Titan had some of the same issues people report on here (especially the WiFi/Mobile data issue where WiFi seems to lag when mobile data is on at the same time). But the difference is adoption rate. The more people you have adopt a device, the louder the screams when something doesn't work right.

The difference is the attention that gets paid to a device post release. Absolutely NO device is released without some sort of bug or room for improvement. Anyone who claims otherwise is a joker. Some bugs may be under the hood or not experienced by others, but I have never owned a device that didn't have something wrong with it. Believe me, I've owned a lot of devices.

With that said, Nokia isn't keeping quiet either. Moderators on their forums are taking peoples problems and getting them to the right people. While they took a big 'chance' at announcing a release date for their Data Patch, I never expect any OEM to tell us an exact date of a patch release. Things happen that are unexpected and they end up with extra bad PR if they miss the date. This could have easily happened to the US data patch that ended up released 3 days early. It could have just as well been delayed 3 days and people would have been furious.

Nokia is going to PUSH for their updates to make it out. They won't let AT&T sit on the thumbs and not push patches. It's CRUCIAL for Nokia's business. Whereas HTC or Samsung, for example, still have (what seems) more of a 'we could care less' attitude for their WP devices getting patched. Heck, the time they spend trying to get Android updates out probably consumes most of their resources (no scientific proof, but just a guess).

I love my Lumia 900. It's a classy phone. Extremely well built, solid, and runs WP just great. Not to mention it isn't just a 'slight redesign' like other OEMs who rehash their Android phone designs. Annoyances are just that and can be fixed with software updates (unless of course you do truly get a device that has a true hardware defect. That's what warranties are for). I'm on the Nokia wagon and think their customer support has been very good! THAT'S what ultimately sells me on a device - how well we as customers are treated and if our issues get tossed around as either a 'carrier issue' or 'Microsoft issue'. I've heard it all from HTC in the past.

My $0.02

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
As someone who has owned the original Titan, the Lumia 900, and the Titan II, I find some statements to be rather fanboyish.

I liked the basic design of the Lumia. However, three devices later had me up in arms over the quality. I bought the original Titan and had zero problems from day one on. I have since returned the third Lumia for a Titan II and I don't regret it. IMO, the Titan II feels like a more expensive device, which it is. I thought about putting up with the Lumia issues, since it was basically free, but I am not one to choose a device based on price alone.

I will consider Nokia again when they come out with their first built for Apollo device. Until then, I believe the Titan II is the best overall WP7 device currently available. For me at least, it is worth the cost. The camera and customized camera app alone make it worth considering.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

I just wanted to clarify, I am not referring to anyone in this thread with the ****** comment. Just referring to some of the posting going around the Internet.

Last edited:

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
do you want a phone that says boring? Or a phone that says I am sexy and you know it?

Just kidding but hey you can always return it after you try it.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought the original Titan and had zero problems from day one on.

Bought two Titans, returned them, got two more, then returned those and got two more. Ended up returning those too. All had absolutely terrible voice quality. two had the camera buttons fall off, all had awful 3g and wifi speeds and one had a handful of dead pixels.

This is so par for the course for HTC (in my experience). My HD2 was replaced 4 times for multiple issues which I ended up just living with on the 4th replacement.

HTC is no savior lol

My issues with my 900 are very minor and the phone at least works despite the small issues. The problems with the Titan made the phone unusable.

In my experience the best WP manufacture is Samsung. I wish they back WP more - they make good stuff!

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want to start with anecdotal evidence I have had similar issues with Samsung as you have with HTC. I have owned so many phones, from both Samsung and HTC, that I have lost count. For me, Samsung has always been more problematic. I had numerous issues with the Focus S and Focus Flash. The original Focus was more trouble free for me.

My original Titan is still being used today, and has yet to have a single one of the issues you describe. I will say that I bought my Titan at the Atlanta Microsoft store, not that that should make any difference. The Titan has a stellar camera as well. Taking pictures in a bar is usually frustrating with phone cameras. Not so with the new HTCs with bsi lenses.

I have had a very good history with HTC devices. I am always willing to try others though.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, guys. Your comments make me feel a little better about it. My wife just dropped the L900 off to me. I will still have to go by the store and have it put on my line before I can use it though. :-(. First thoughts, love the blue color. Also the location of the hardware buttons is much nicer than the Titan.

I turned it on and the first thing I noticed was the horrible purple tint to the grays, worse even than the photos I've seen. It is bad enough that I can barely even see them against the black background. That being said, the room I'm in is relatively dark and auto brightness is actually dimmer than even the low manual setting. On the other hand, with the screen at a higher setting, WOW! The colors are a tad over-saturated, especially the oranges, but I love the pop the OLED screen gives it.

On the plus side, I don't have the noise from pressing on the top-right corner. I don't know about the wi-fi, vibration rattle, and other issues yet.

I've decided that I will give the Lumia a shot and see how it goes. As has been pointed out, Nokia is at least good about post release updates and that gives me hope. Better than HTC to be sure. The update for the purple screen is supposed to be out in a week so I think I can wait that long. Plus if that stupid disappearing keyboard bug is fixed it might be a fair trade. It aggravates the snot out of me.

Assuming I keep it, this will be my first non-HTC phone in, well, a long time. Six years I think. This should be interesting.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I turned it on and the first thing I noticed was the horrible purple tint to the grays, worse even than the photos I've seen. It is bad enough that I can barely even see them against the black background.

Put it on medium brightness and turn off auto-brightness. That should get rid of the purple for now.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Put it on medium brightness and turn off auto-brightness. That should get rid of the purple for now.

Which is exactly what I did.

wait what?? How has no one asked about this in any of the comment!?

Probably dropped his Titan in the turlet and needed a cooler cover story.

I wish that were the case, but no. Long story short, I tried to help someone out. I gave him a lift home (only after checking him for any sort of weapons). He insisted on giving me a couple bucks for gas even though I tried telling him not to worry about it. I was stupid and didn't listen to my gut instincts. He went in the house, came back out and jumped in the car and pulled a knife on me. Here's a link to the whole story on Reddit.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Which is exactly what I did.

I wish that were the case, but no. Long story short, I tried to help someone out. I gave him a lift home (only after checking him for any sort of weapons). He insisted on giving me a couple bucks for gas even though I tried telling him not to worry about it. I was stupid and didn't listen to my gut instincts. He went in the house, came back out and jumped in the car and pulled a knife on me. Here's a link to the whole story on Reddit.
very sorry to hear about that

Sent from Le Lumia de Cyan using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster