Starting to have second thoughts about L900 and I haven't even received it yet

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Truth is I like both the Lumia 900 and the Titan. Like deciding which of your two kids you like best. But I chose the Lumia 900 because of the Carl Zeiss technology and the overall look of the device.

To the OP, sorry about the incident you and your wife had to deal with. You both got away unhurt and that is a blessing.

BTW, when you got home, did you try to use the phone finder?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

Can anyone tell me how to access the Nokia apps? When I try to go to the Nokia Collection on my phone it gives me an 805a0194 error.

I had that happen with the preinstalled Nokia app. I uninstalled it. Rebooted and reinstalled the Nokia app. That fixed it.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Bear in mind, people rarely come to forums to talk about their phone running perfectly and having no problems.

For what it's worth, I have had absolutely NO problems with my Lumia 900. I did not experience the "data bug", there's no purple on my screen. Battery life is excellent. Call quality is excellent. The camera is more than adequate for my purposes, though there is room for improvement in the low light performance, it's not nearly as big of a deal as the bellyachers make it out to be. I'm 100% confident Nokia will release a software update which will fine tune the camera.

Overall, it's the best phone I've ever owned by far. I'm very happy with it. :cool:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Bear in mind, people rarely come to forums to talk about their phone running perfectly and having no problems.

For what it's worth, I have had absolutely NO problems with my Lumia 900. I did not experience the "data bug", there's no purple on my screen. Battery life is excellent. Call quality is excellent. The camera is more than adequate for my purposes, though there is room for improvement in the low light performance, it's not nearly as big of a deal as the bellyachers make it out to be. I'm 100% confident Nokia will release a software update which will fine tune the camera.

Overall, it's the best phone I've ever owned by far. I'm very happy with it. :cool:

Same here but I assume you have the camera button bug or issue or whatever they call it, where it won't launch from sleep mode sometimes? That's the only one that I have that mildly bugs me only sometimes. Not a deal breaker though.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I had most of the issues between three different devices. I did not have the purple screen issue though. I got around the camera button issue by hitting power then holding the camera button. It always worked in that scenario. No need to unlock, just hit power.

I also believe the camera can be improved with software. This will not do much for low light conditions though. Unfortunately, these are often the conditions where I would be likely to use the camera on my phone.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
In reference to the OP and the original post, sometimes you just have to try for yourself. You have a return period, so use that to your advantage and don't allow yourself to be scared off by people with issues. You take them with a grain of salt and see for yourself.

Haters will find any outlet to voice off their issues. Those of us that aren't having any don't nearly post as much. We just keep on keeping on.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Dude, NO phone is without issues when initially released, including the iPhone (though, some of its issues will always be there, not just initially) and various Samsungs. You are SO gonna love your phone and not regret getting it for a second. I promise you that.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Truth is I like both the Lumia 900 and the Titan. Like deciding which of your two kids you like best. But I chose the Lumia 900 because of the Carl Zeiss technology and the overall look of the device.

To the OP, sorry about the incident you and your wife had to deal with. You both got away unhurt and that is a blessing.

BTW, when you got home, did you try to use the phone finder?

Yes, I did. Even though I had the update frequency turned up, it was still showing a track from 3:00 pm. This was at midnight so I don't know why it hadn't updated since then. I did remote wipe it though and that appeared to work well.

So far I'm enjoying the Lumia overall. I have noticed the vibration rattle, but it's nothing I can't deal with.

I also love the blue color. Outdoors it just seems especially bright, almost glowing, compared to indoors. I almost wonder if Nokia didn't mix in a small amount of florescent color into it.

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Is Nokia Drive really that important that you'd buy Nokia's device when they're trackrecord so far has been rife with issues on all of their devices? All is a bit of an exaggeration - the Lumia 710 actually hasn't seen any show-stopping issues. But the 800 and 900 both launched with critical issues requiring a flurry of updates to try to remedy.

This sort of feels like the HD2 all over again. Great external build quality, but all sorts of things gone wrong on the inside. Sense was great, but in hindsight it certainly wasn't worth it.

Also the Carl Zeiss technology means nothing since the Lumia has probably the second worse camera in the WP7 ecosystem. Even the HD2 is better (pink tint notwithstanding) and only the DVP (discontinued) was worse.

How long will they be able to sell devices on the merits of "looks" if they continue to release mediocre devices?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Is Nokia Drive really that important that you'd buy Nokia's device when they're trackrecord so far has been rife with issues on all of their devices? All is a bit of an exaggeration - the Lumia 710 actually hasn't seen any show-stopping issues. But the 800 and 900 both launched with critical issues requiring a flurry of updates to try to remedy.

This sort of feels like the HD2 all over again. Great external build quality, but all sorts of things gone wrong on the inside. Sense was great, but in hindsight it certainly wasn't worth it.

Also the Carl Zeiss technology means nothing since the Lumia has probably the second worse camera in the WP7 ecosystem. Even the HD2 is better (pink tint notwithstanding) and only the DVP (discontinued) was worse.

How long will they be able to sell devices on the merits of "looks" if they continue to release mediocre devices?
Considering that Nokia has been on the case, I say that merits the buy.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Mediocre? I knew it was only a matter of time before you crapped all over another forum N8ter... Took long enough to notice you here

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yep, 800 required how many patches for the battery life?

900 launched with data connection issues. They still have to fix the purple screen tint. The camera is still bad.

Their devices are generally lower quality user experiences than the Samsung and HTC Devices (Titan II, Focus S) at that range. Their Mid-Range offering is better (Lumia 710). Mediocre is a comparative term. The Titan II dumps all over the 900 and I'm suprised people keep going for it over the Titan II given they're on the same carrier and the Titan II is [IMHO] clearly superior.

Lots of people have had to send their 900s back for a variety of issues apart from those mentioned above. The general quality of the device and the QC behind it just seems severely lacking compared to the HTC/Samsung offerings - so I'm shocked. It sort of feel like people are buying them just to try to keep Nokia afloat, similar to the people raving about how they bought RIM shares for $12/ea at Crackberry.com, Lol.

The only reason I can see are Look + Nokia's preloaded apps (and Price, but on contract phones the price difference isn't really all that much of a difference between the two at the end of the day).

And I don't think I was hostile in that post nor did I personally attack anyone. Check yourself.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I rarely agree with n8ter, but I have to give him this one. I really didn't find the Nokia apps very useful though. I don't often use my phone for navigation though. Also, there are better apps for the marketplace than the app highlights from Nokia.

I still have faith that Nokia will add value to wp7 and that their devices will only get better. I currently think the Titan II is the best WP device. I also find the SLCD's brighter whites more pleasing than high saturation in colors found on AMOLED. I think it really depends on how you use your device. I do more reading than playing media.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Yep, 800 required how many patches for the battery life?

900 launched with data connection issues. They still have to fix the purple screen tint. The camera is still bad.

Their devices are generally lower quality user experiences than the Samsung and HTC Devices (Titan II, Focus S) at that range. Their Mid-Range offering is better (Lumia 710). Mediocre is a comparative term. The Titan II dumps all over the 900 and I'm suprised people keep going for it over the Titan II given they're on the same carrier and the Titan II is [IMHO] clearly superior.

Lots of people have had to send their 900s back for a variety of issues apart from those mentioned above. The general quality of the device and the QC behind it just seems severely lacking compared to the HTC/Samsung offerings - so I'm shocked. It sort of feel like people are buying them just to try to keep Nokia afloat, similar to the people raving about how they bought RIM shares for $12/ea at Crackberry.com, Lol.

The only reason I can see are Look + Nokia's preloaded apps (and Price, but on contract phones the price difference isn't really all that much of a difference between the two at the end of the day).

And I don't think I was hostile in that post nor did I personally attack anyone. Check yourself.

The problem I have with this is that you are only getting a narrow view of the entire user experience. Not everyone is having these problems. As a matter of fact, my device is PERFECT. Go onto the AT&T sight and check out the reviews. Pretty stellar. Those with problems are always going to be more vocal. I'm not saying that these problems don't exist, but these seem to be limited to certain batches. There are PLENTY of people out there that experience no problems whatsoever.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Not really. Most of the Nokia software is more of a bonus than a make or break issue.

Wow, I would beg to differ. I had a Surround before the Titan that I just replaced and the camera on the Surround was crap compared to either one of these, even in good lighting. I agree the L900 camera is somewhat underwhelming but it's a heck of a lot better than that one.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not really. Most of the Nokia software is more of a bonus than a make or break issue.
But the lack of native VG TBT Nav in WP7 *is* a make or break issue for many people, so they buy the Nokia because it has free TBT but you have to pay HTC for the maps by comparison (and the Locations app didn't have TBT Nav until after Nokia started releasing phones, anyways) That's where I'm coming from.

There's also a number of apps that are exclusive to Nokia devices that aren't necessarily for Nokia's own services.

Wow, I would beg to differ. I had a Surround before the Titan that I just replaced and the camera on the Surround was crap compared to either one of these, even in good lighting. I agree the L900 camera is somewhat underwhelming but it's a heck of a lot better than that one.

When I say better it means I looked at things like color reproduction, noise level in the photos, etc. The Pink tinted HD2 photos I could fix in Photo Shop, the noisy images out of the L900 are a lot more troublesome (the HD2 also had noise, most cell phone cameras do, but some are clearly better than others).

I didn't just look at the photos on the phone screen (where almost anything looks good) and call it a day.

In any case, it doesn't matter, cause the camera on competing Mango devices (Focus S and Titan II) are clearly better and at the end of the day that's what most buyers will be choosing between on AT&T now that the costs are starting to come down on those. No one is buying HD2/7s and DVPs except on eBay or CL these days (intentional generalization). That exaggeration for more for effect than literal accuracy, to get the point across. My apologies.

HTC generally did not make top of the line camera until mid 2011 when they really started to put emphasis on it, so it doens't suprise me that the Surround had a terrible camera however I don't remember mentioning the HTC Surround in any of my posts... ...

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The problem I have with this is that you are only getting a narrow view of the entire user experience. Not everyone is having these problems. As a matter of fact, my device is PERFECT. Go onto the AT&T sight and check out the reviews. Pretty stellar. Those with problems are always going to be more vocal. I'm not saying that these problems don't exist, but these seem to be limited to certain batches. There are PLENTY of people out there that experience no problems whatsoever.

A lot of people had perfect Bold 9780s but it didn't invalidate the issue that RIM QC on that device was terrible given the amount of people who had faulty keyboards and tilting trackpads.

Like I said in another post, WorksForMe™ does not mean the device is somehow flawless. Few if any devices are flawless, it just so happens Nokia has had the most issues with their (esp high end) Windows Phones of any of the major OEMs producing them, maybe with the only exception being the Focus FW Revision issues but that didn't really affect usability (like poor battery life, underwhelming camera, and purple screen hue does, buttons going out, freezing/stuttering during use, etc.). It was more of an update fiasco.

I never stated everyone had issues with their Lumia, nor did I imply that no one should be happy with their device. I simply stated that from the time Nokia has entered the WP7 device market, their devices have had more issues than Samsung and HTC. I think that's pretty obvious, so I don't know what the hostility and debate is about (there is no debate, as far as I'm concerned).

Nokia still seems to be riding the same hype they were riding before they started releasing phones. Hopefully they can get it together before it dies down.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people had perfect Bold 9780s but it didn't invalidate the issue that RIM QC on that device was terrible given the amount of people who had faulty keyboards and tilting trackpads.

Like I said in another post, WorksForMe™ does not mean the device is somehow flawless. Few if any devices are flawless, it just so happens Nokia has had the most issues with their (esp high end) Windows Phones of any of the major OEMs producing them, maybe with the only exception being the Focus FW Revision issues but that didn't really affect usability (like poor battery life, underwhelming camera, and purple screen hue does, buttons going out, freezing/stuttering during use, etc.). It was more of an update fiasco.

I never stated everyone had issues with their Lumia, nor did I imply that no one should be happy with their device. I simply stated that from the time Nokia has entered the WP7 device market, their devices have had more issues than Samsung and HTC. I think that's pretty obvious, so I don't know what the hostility and debate is about (there is no debate, as far as I'm concerned).

Nokia still seems to be riding the same hype they were riding before they started releasing phones. Hopefully they can get it together before it dies down.
No hostility here bro. Just needed point out that not everyone was having problems w/ their Lumia 900's. Also, on the internet, people that have issues tend to express their opinions more than those with no issues. No phone is perfect. But if one is to make their opinion on whether or not to get a device based on what some people say in a forum, you're going to get a skewed view. I can attest to this. I was VERY reticent about getting this device after coming to this forum. I just one day decided to say "screw it! I'm getting this device!" It turned out my worries were all for nothing. I have ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES with my device.

Again, I'm not saying these issues don't exist. I'm just saying that all the issues people may be having with their device may only be coming from a small (but vocal) sample of all Lumia 900 owners.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
HTC generally did not make top of the line camera until mid 2011 when they really started to put emphasis on it, so it doens't suprise me that the Surround had a terrible camera however I don't remember mentioning the HTC Surround in any of my posts... ...

You did, just not by name. You said "the Lumia has probably the second worse camera in the WP7 ecosystem. Even the HD2 is better (pink tint notwithstanding) and only the DVP (discontinued) was worse." The HTC Surround falls into the WP7 ecosystem category. I was pointing out that it, too, was a worse camera than the Lumia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb