Strange new data problem

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So for the last few days, I'm having a strange data related problem with my 900. Things will work fine for awhile, then without warning, I'll stop receiving new emails, and won't be able to access twitter or facebook updates through the people hub. Other apps will still function right as far as being able to download, browse websites, etc.. but baiscally anything built into the OS (email, people hub, etc..) won't work. It'll just say "Looking for news..." in the people hub and never actually download any emails even if I try to manually sync.

I have to shut off the phone and restart it, and then suddenly everything will work again for awhile.

Anyone have a clue what's going on here?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
This happens to me once in a while, even with my first Gen devices. I just shrug it off as being a Microsoft server hiccup.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
This is used to happen to me on WiFi with my Motorola Atrix, haven't had it happen on the Vivid or the Lumia yet.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

btcook

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing a similar problem with my White Lumia and my wife's Cyan Lumia. Both of us this morning had to restart our phones for the cell data connection to work. This has happened to both of us multiple times after the update to fix the data connection issue. My only concern is if we need to replace the phones the 30 days for the Cyan is today! Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcomed.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you have internet sharing enabled perchance?

Nope, I do not.

if you ever did activate it. Windows Phone has this stupid bug where Wifi and Data will not work at the same time. It only happens once you activate internet sharing. The only way to get rid of this bug is to do a hard reset. Then don't touch that internet sharing. Wifi will not work with data on. You have to turn off data to get wifi to work...trust me it is a stupid bug.

The only other thing I can think of is have you update to the lastest version for your lumia. There was a data bug in the first version of the software only for the lumia 900. Nokia-microsoft released an update around the 16th of the month. I would connect your phone to either Zune (PC) or Windows Phone 7 connector (mac) and see if there is an update.

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
So for the last few days, I'm having a strange data related problem with my 900. Things will work fine for awhile, then without warning, I'll stop receiving new emails, and won't be able to access twitter or facebook updates through the people hub. Other apps will still function right as far as being able to download, browse websites, etc.. but baiscally anything built into the OS (email, people hub, etc..) won't work. It'll just say "Looking for news..." in the people hub and never actually download any emails even if I try to manually sync.

I have to shut off the phone and restart it, and then suddenly everything will work again for awhile.

Anyone have a clue what's going on here?
I have a similar problem, but it is WIFI only. After being connected to the WIFI for a while, it just mysteriously stops working. If I turn off wifi,a nd turn it right back on, it starts working again...anywhere from 20 minutes to a couple hours. I've tried multiple WIFI AP's, with the same result. My wife's 900 doesn't seem to be affected the same, but she got hers a couple weeks after I got mine.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
That happens to me as well and was frustrates me is how it'll keep running in the background searching for updates and drain your battery.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Those are classic symptoms of what happens when the internet sharing has been enabled (ever - doesn't have to be on for it to continue it's effects) - not saying that's what it is, but those are the classic symptoms. Unfortunately, when you enable it, it does _something_ permanent to the phone's config that only a hard reset with the buttons back to the out-of-the-box defaults fixes. If you've not enabled it ever, then you aren't hitting this, but if you have, this is what it would be (especially happens to WiFi connectivity, by the way, and any time you use it).

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Huh, thanks for the responses. I did TRY to enable internet sharing once (didn't realize it only worked on AT&T's highest data plan). And like others, I'd experience what others here reported where it'd keep trying to download updates and the phone would get incredibly hot and the battery would drain like crazy.

In any case, I did a hard reset of the phone this morning to see if that'd fix it and, so far so good anyway.

If it was the internet sharing thing, WTF? Whose bug is that? Nokia? MS? AT&T? Seems like something somebody needs to fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb