Lumia 900: GPS exercise tracking apps don't work

lot920

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Help, help, help...why are these nutty things happening to my GPS exercise tracking apps and to my audiobook library app??? Is this a Nokia problem, a Windows problem, did I get a lemon of a phone...or is this the problem of having a Windows platform???

I have tried several exercise tracking apps on the Lumia 900 and each one fails miserably.

Endomondo: the program pauses continuously (typically within 3 seconds) to the point of not tracking anything. Additionally, while this app can integrate music, you can't fast forward to the next song -- you are stuck with whatever pops up...which could be an audio book you didn't want to hear.

Sports Tracker: doesn't always capture the entire route, and even when it does, it claims ridiculously high speeds (1000 miles per hour). There's no way that I see to manually insert an activity. No music integration.

Runtastic: more accurate than the others - but not completely without frustration. No music integration.

I've tried a total of 5 GPS exercise tracking programs and am baffled how each of them fail so significantly. I used Cardio Trainer on Android, and it was virtually flawless (every now and then a minor blip, but not like these -- I find these unusable).

Audiobook app: Overdrive (used by library systems)

On this Window's based phone, Overdrive is out of control. On my 2 previous Android phones, Overdrive was excellent. But on Windows, it is very primitive, with little ability for applying settings. Worse, it will not STOP unless I reboot the phone. You can pause it, but 10 minutes later, it's playing. It automatically restarts after trying to stop the program by "pausing"...since there is no "stop" or "exit" to the program. It automatically kicks back on randomly...driving me nuts! Over, and over...until I reboot the phone. Furthermore, if I restart the audiobook at a later time, it just resets to the beginning, or to the beginning of the last chapter. There is no subtle fast forward...only skip to the beginning of a chapter (the next one or the last one). You can't pick up where you've left off unless it's within a few minutes of your pause.

I am ready to throw this out the window.

When I've tried the GPS navigation, it has directed me in absurd directions. I couldn't understand what it was possibly thinking. I had 3 GPS navigations competing / comparing against each other (one Android, one Nuvi, and the Lumia). The Lumia was off it's rocker...except, it did give very clear directions, but with a very inappropriate route.

I use the exercise tracking and audiobook apps all the time, and this is not working for me. Aside from these problems, it's a nice phone. Very responsive.

Any suggestions? And yes, the location setting is turned on. Auto pause is turned off.

Last edited:

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have any problems with endomondo. It worked for me. No pausing, etc. I didn't use the music from within the app.

Sadly I am spending this week without my Lumia (traded in for an HTC one x at day 29--a decision I regret and am working on rectifying, selling my one x and coming back to the fold).

lot920

May 18, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting that you didn't have any problems with Endomondo. Good to hear. I, on the other hand, have repeated problems of pausing, pausing, pausing...even after uninstalling, then reinstalling. Help!

islehopper

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
marathon works great on lumia 900

Not with the other programs, but i moved easily 18-month old HD7 to the Lumia 900 and brought marathon with it. GPS tracks/records perfectly. Allows smart bluetooth audio streaming from Zune/ZunePass. You can set to pause music during progress announcements and progress announcement loudness is adjustable. Program has a very cool two-sided tile showing last run data, achievement status, etc.

Website is Marathon - A measure software for your Windows Phone

All my other GPS programs work without problem -- nokia maps, nokia drive, gMaps.

i'm using gophone account with 1gb data plan. had to manually change the AP settings

APN: wap.cingular
UserName: wap@cingulargps.com
Password: cingular1

Cheers

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I had similar problem with Trailhead (by North Face) that it does not capture the route correctly. I'm not sure if it's because the screen was off or GPS related issue. But i definitely see some GPS issue with the phone itself.

MrChuckles

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Help, help, help...why are these nutty things happening to my GPS exercise tracking apps and to my audiobook library app??? Is this a Nokia problem, a Windows problem, did I get a lemon of a phone...or is this the problem of having a Windows platform???

I have tried several exercise tracking apps on the Lumia 900 and each one fails miserably.

Endomondo: the program pauses continuously (typically within 3 seconds) to the point of not tracking anything. Additionally, while this app can integrate music, you can't fast forward to the next song -- you are stuck with whatever pops up...which could be an audio book you didn't want to hear.

Sports Tracker: doesn't always capture the entire route, and even when it does, it claims ridiculously high speeds (1000 miles per hour). There's no way that I see to manually insert an activity. No music integration.

Runtastic: more accurate than the others - but not completely without frustration. No music integration.

I've tried a total of 5 GPS exercise tracking programs and am baffled how each of them fail so significantly. I used Cardio Trainer on Android, and it was virtually flawless (every now and then a minor blip, but not like these -- I find these unusable).

Audiobook app: Overdrive (used by library systems)

On this Window's based phone, Overdrive is out of control. On my 2 previous Android phones, Overdrive was excellent. But on Windows, it is very primitive, with little ability for applying settings. Worse, it will not STOP unless I reboot the phone. You can pause it, but 10 minutes later, it's playing. It automatically restarts after trying to stop the program by "pausing"...since there is no "stop" or "exit" to the program. It automatically kicks back on randomly...driving me nuts! Over, and over...until I reboot the phone. Furthermore, if I restart the audiobook at a later time, it just resets to the beginning, or to the beginning of the last chapter. There is no subtle fast forward...only skip to the beginning of a chapter (the next one or the last one). You can't pick up where you've left off unless it's within a few minutes of your pause.

I am ready to throw this out the window.

When I've tried the GPS navigation, it has directed me in absurd directions. I couldn't understand what it was possibly thinking. I had 3 GPS navigations competing / comparing against each other (one Android, one Nuvi, and the Lumia). The Lumia was off it's rocker...except, it did give very clear directions, but with a very inappropriate route.

I use the exercise tracking and audiobook apps all the time, and this is not working for me. Aside from these problems, it's a nice phone. Very responsive.

Any suggestions? And yes, the location setting is turned on. Auto pause is turned off.
Hey I use Runtastic just about daily. The trick it needs to be the first app up under that lock screen if that makes sense. If I use another app and lock the screen the GPS drops. If I switch apps and long press back they choose Runtastic it works fine. I can switch app all I want even make calls. Just make sure it up when you lock the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon