Titan on AT&T with no data plan.

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
My daughter wants a smartphone so she will be able to use it like an iPod but I do not want to purchase a data plan. She will use only WIFI with it. So I want to add her to our family talk plan with unlimited texting, but AT&T says I have to buy the minimum $20/mth data plan.

Can I get one of eBay and put her feature phone sim card in it?

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Here is a second question. Will the Titan turn on and work other than for phone and text without a sim card in it? Basically could she use it like an iPod on wifi?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no, you put any ATT SIM in that phone and it will send the IMEI to ATT, they will see it on their smartphone list, and add a minimum plan to the account.

Get her a Straight Talk SIM. At least she will have the option to use data.

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
no, you put any ATT SIM in that phone and it will send the IMEI to ATT, they will see it on their smartphone list, and add a minimum plan to the account.

Get her a Straight Talk SIM. At least she will have the option to use data.
Thanks for the info. Do you know whether the phone will function media wise without a sim in it. Kind of like and iPOD but using Zune and also able to surf the web using WIFI?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yes it will work just fine on WiFi.

you could also add a GoPhone plan that just givees minutea and texts for like $25. No data would come with that but at least you'd have the phone working.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it could be a hit and miss. I had ATT with two smartphones over 4 years including the Titan recently without a data plan. If I was to use my upgrade and get a discount on the phone, then a data plan would be required.

I was told by an ATT rep recently that if you are out of contract, you can opt out of a data plan. I asked this just in case Straight Talk did not work out for me and I had to go back to ATT. In the past, I actually had them block all data on my phone just in case. Problem with that is if you block all data, you block multimedia messages, but text are still fine. If they will no longer block all data, you should still be able to choose "pay per use" if you are not in a contract on that phone. Then you could turn the data off in the settings on the phone.

I now use Straight Talk, so I have data for the first time.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it could be a hit and miss. I had ATT with two smartphones over 4 years including the Titan recently without a data plan. If I was to use my upgrade and get a discount on the phone, then a data plan would be required.

I was told by an ATT rep recently that if you are out of contract, you can opt out of a data plan. I asked this just in case Straight Talk did not work out for me and I had to go back to ATT. In the past, I actually had them block all data on my phone just in case. Problem with that is if you block all data, you block multimedia messages, but text are still fine.

I now use Straight Talk, so I have data for the first time.

no that doesn't work anymore. The moment you pop the SIM in your smartphone, contract or not, they add a data plan to your phone. The do not even allow PPU data if you were grandfathered in on it. Their reasoning is a lot of smartphones use data passively and they don't want all the customer complaints about unknown data use.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
no that doesn't work anymore. The moment you pop the SIM in your smartphone, contract or not, they add a data plan to your phone. The do not even allow PPU data if you were grandfathered in on it. Their reasoning is a lot of smartphones use data passively and they don't want all the customer complaints about unknown data use.

I poppped in my mom's sim card into my Moto Backflip (android). My online account reflected the switch immediately, but it has been a few weeks already and still no data added. Been watching it like a hawk, because I would switch it back to her flip phone if ATT did add a data plan.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Well...I had the Blackjack II and Blackberry 8300 without a data plan and data blocked. When I got the Titan, (no contract) I put my SIM card in it and data was still blocked. I did show up on my account, but data was still blocked. This was about three months ago. I had it like that before I switched to Straight Talk.

urbangatsby

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I got a prepaid ATT sim card for free from ATT store and got the .10 a min plan...I have 25 bucks equal to 250 mins on here...I dont use data because everywhere I go, work, school, home, friends houses have data and the titan has the gps chip so offline gps.....do that 25 bucks gets you 3 months of usage and you can refill whenever

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2