Lost Data Connections on AT&T

dasfoto

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the Lumia 900.

Here's what happens to me occassionally. I'll lose data connectivity for short periods of time. Phone shows a 4G connection with 4 bars, but my data connection just stops. At least once I had to actually cycle the Cell radio Off and On to reconnect.

I'll be at home with both WiFi and Cell turned on. Things will be working fine and then I'll lose the data connection. IE won't connect, Marketplace won't connect, Games won't connect. First couple of times this happened, I turned off all the RF (Cell, WiFi and Bluetooth) and then turned them back on. Data began to flow again. Happened again over the weekend, but this time I turned off the cell only and then turned it back on. Data connection returned. A little while later, data dropped out again, only this time I turned off the cell and whileleaving it off continued to use the WiFi and the connection returned.

I don't understand why I'm getting dropouts at all when only on Cell. Don't understand why I'm getting dropouts when I have Cell and WiFi, and really don't understand why I can restore the connection when I turn the cell off when I should have only been using WiFi to begin with.

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem?

Is this some screwy SIM card problem?

rutvik19

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I also have this problem. Right now I'm just holding still waiting for Nokia to release their next update. If it's not fixed in that, then I'll start complaining to them. Nokia has a twitter page @NokiaCareUS where they seem to respond to individual problems fairly quickly.

joonbeams

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I think i have this problem too. Notice it with push email. According to a rep I spoke to (Level 3, but take with a dose of healthy skepticism), this phone (Lumia) is design to power down the radios when it is idle, to spare battery.

dasfoto

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I think i have this problem too. Notice it with push email. According to a rep I spoke to (Level 3, but take with a dose of healthy skepticism), this phone (Lumia) is design to power down the radios when it is idle, to spare battery.
Mine's not an idle problem because it happens when I'm playing Wordament which is talking to a server every two minutes.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I have WiFi and Data (mostly LTE) on 24/7 and no connection problems since pre-launch.

FYI, data "never" completely disconnects. Thats how you get first and third party push updates all day long, instantly.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

dasfoto

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have WiFi and Data (mostly LTE) on 24/7 and no connection problems since pre-launch.

FYI, data "never" completely disconnects. Thats how you get first and third party push updates all day long, instantly.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
I lose everything including all the push notifications. Happened again this morning. Couldn't sync Hotmail. Had to turn off all radios (airplane mode on) and then turn them back on (airplane mode off), to re-establish the data connection.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I had it happen to me last night. Phone said I had 3 bars of HSPA+ but no internet at all. Followed by rapid battery drain. Had to reboot.

Last edited:

justin071894

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I had it happen to me last night. Phone said I had 3 bars of HSPA+ but no internet at all. Followed by rapid battery drain. Had to reboot.
I had this a couple of times ever after the data connection firmware update.

I have one of the pre-order devices. I hard reset my device hoping to fix all of the issues i was having including a horrible rapid battery drain.

*Fingers crossed!*

jiffffy pop

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I just started having problems with my data connection as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Went to ATT to switch to a new one but they only offered me a new sim card. This has not resolved my problem. Its very frustrating. Since I got my new sim yesterday, the ATT Collection fails to appear in the marketplace. Anybody have any ideas to what is going on?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
My phone has always done this, it'll say I have 2-3 bars of 4G service, and half the time lately it doesn't work. It's gotten even worse lately.

Another complaint I have is that the phone won't go down to 3G or edge, it'll have 0 bars or no service with 4g, and it won't go down to 3G. I know theres 3G in the area, my iPhone had good 3G service, so idk why it won't switch to it when it can barely connect to 4g.

On the very rare occasion that it does switch, it'll say 4-5 bars of 3G, and won't work. Texts, data, phone calls, all won't work when it's on anything but 4G. It's rediculous.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing it with my Lumia 900 as well, however, this was also happening with my Samsung Focus S I had previously. I would have full bars, and all of a sudden my data connection would stop working. I would either have to wait for a minute or two for it to start working again, or I would have to toggle my Airplane Mode on/off for it to start working immediately.

I think it either is an AT&T issue (I never had this problem when I was on Verizon), or just a bad SIM card. I'm going to go and get my SIM card replaced and see what happens.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've notice that the random data issues occur in the same few, isolated spots for me, so it's definitely a network issue. Again, for me at least. No device-related data issues to speak of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)