Samsung Focus Flash Screen becomes unresponsive and display stays on

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've had the focus flash for a few months now and love it. I had no major issues until a few days ago. I've looked through many of the threads and none quite describe the issue I've been experiencing so I hope this isn't a double post.

Sitting idle, my phone's touchscreen will become completely unresponsive randomly without being touched, without receiving a text, or anything else. The phone still responds to every button outside of the touch screen area: the back, home, search, camera, power, and volume buttons. On top of becoming unresponsive, the display will not shut off. If I press the power button, the screen will go dark for roughly half a second then turn back on and I'll have a lovely view of the locked screen.

That should sum of the issue I've experienced. I've tried several things to resolve it but nothing really works. First and most obvious, I tried hard rebooting it (hold the power button down for however long until it restarts). The phone would boot back up and do the same things mentioned before.

Second I tried yanking the battery then restarting it and still no success. I tried leaving it off without a battery in it for about 2 hours then booting it, still the same thing.

What does clear the issue though is plugging something into the mini usb. If my usb cable is connected to the phone it works beautifully, like the day I open the box. This is however, only a temporary fix as I don't really want to walk around with a cord hanging from my phone nor do I want to cut one of my wires to create a dongle in order to use it/ not kill the battery in a few hours.
EDIT:: Plugging in a mini usb has a tendency to, but does not always work. However actually charging the phone does resolve the issue while it is charging.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I hope I covered most, if not all, of the necessary information for debugging purposes. I appreciate any information anyone has or if you need more info on my part just ask.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Question are you using a screen protector or how often do you clean your screen. I noticed that if I do not keep a clean screen. It does get a little unresponive and I have to press a little harder. But after I clean the screen it goes back to like new fast and responds.

But nothing like you describe where everything is locked, which sounds like a hardware issue

It is random or does it happen every hour or few minutes..?

How long has been since you have done a full reset of phone like it was brand new..?

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey sorry for not responding sooner, got caught up at work.
I do use a screen protector, one from AT&T. However I'm 99.999% positive it is not because of the screen protector.

It does happen randomly, sometimes not at all during the day and other times it could last an entire day. What really confuses me is why charging the phone makes it responsive.

I talked with samsung technical support and we did the standard procedures so my phone has had both the soft reset (through the OS) and hard reset (holding camera and volume during boot up).

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It does happen randomly, sometimes not at all during the day and other times it could last an entire day. What really confuses me is why charging the phone makes it responsive.

We all get caught up in work some time or another..

Sounds like it could be battery related or sensor related..

if does not happen when plugged in via charge, does it happen has well if plugged into pc or does it happpen only when on battery..

Doubt samsung would do this with you. Last time I spoke to a samsung rep they where only trained in android. They had to transfer me to Windows Phone Tech..

Have you tried built in diag yet..phone: ##634# - then *#0*#, then select touch, what happens..First test post results Spec Min and Max then select next, now start at the top of that screen and follow the boxes around drawing a line, then middle, then open boxes. Does it pass the test..?

Else checks these has well..Post your battery settings..Sorry for having you do this..but I would like to compare your's to mine..

*#0011# - Power and Temprature settings
*#0228# - Battery Information

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
As long as the phone is charging the touch screen works, either outlet or pc. I experience this only when it is running on battery.

Thanks for the diagnostic codes! I never knew about them. After running the test for touch I received the following info:
Specification
Spec: 3680 ~ 13280
Min: 10330
Max: 12431
Firmware version
Chip: 81
MainSW: 10
PASSED

Second test I was able to draw around all of the boxes and pass, but I learned I cannot draw a straight line on a touch screen for the life of me.

Power and Temp Settings:
WCDMA: Idle
Rx CH: 412, R:-90
Tx CH: 12, Tx Pwr: -
Eclo: -6, RSCP: -94
SpeechVER: FR FR FR
L1: PCH_Sleep
Drx cycle: 128, PSC: 1088
Temp: 0 Batt: 145 LNA: 35
Service: Available

Battery Info:
(ADC)
VBATT:145 TA: False
CHSTA:1 USB: False
THERM:138 BAT ID:271

(MV)
VBATT_MV:3730 mV
FGAVR_MV: 3730 mV
BATT_CA: 1500 mAh
DEG: 30 C
Bat_PER: 30 %

(SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS_EX2)
ACLineStatus = 0
BatteryFlag = 1
BatteryLifePercent = 30
Reserved1 = 10
BatteryLifeTime = 0
BatteryFullLifeTime = 0
Reserved2 = 0
BackupBatteryFlag = 0
BackupBatteryLifePercent = 0
Reserved3 = 0
BackupBatteryLifeTime = 0
BackupBatteryFullLifeTime = 0
BatteryChemistry = 4
BatteryVoltage = 3757
BatteryCurrent = 0
BatteryAverageCurrent = 0
BatteryAverageInterval = 0
BatterymAHourConsumed = 0
BatteryTemperature = 30
BackupBatteryVoltage = 0

(MAX 17043 FG)
VERSION : 0
VCELL : 3756
rawSOC : 2868
adjSOC : 2958
RCOMP: 0xE01F
Result : Pass/Fail

Interesting reading those diagnostics. I didn't expect to see 0's for almost all of them. There are also 2 options at the bottom of the screen, Qstar and LOG ON.

I don't know if I'm going crazy or not but it seems this happens most frequently around 80% battery life. I usually charge the phone to upper 90's at night and by morning it is around 83%ish and decides to act up. I let it sit for a few minutes and it decides to work fine again. Could just be coincidence, but it does make sense that it could be the battery.

tpbklake

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've had the focus flash for a few months now and love it. I had no major issues until a few days ago. I've looked through many of the threads and none quite describe the issue I've been experiencing so I hope this isn't a double post.

Sitting idle, my phone's touchscreen will become completely unresponsive randomly without being touched, without receiving a text, or anything else. The phone still responds to every button outside of the touch screen area: the back, home, search, camera, power, and volume buttons. On top of becoming unresponsive, the display will not shut off. If I press the power button, the screen will go dark for roughly half a second then turn back on and I'll have a lovely view of the locked screen.

That should sum of the issue I've experienced. I've tried several things to resolve it but nothing really works. First and most obvious, I tried hard rebooting it (hold the power button down for however long until it restarts). The phone would boot back up and do the same things mentioned before.

Second I tried yanking the battery then restarting it and still no success. I tried leaving it off without a battery in it for about 2 hours then booting it, still the same thing.

What does clear the issue though is plugging something into the mini usb. If my usb cable is connected to the phone it works beautifully, like the day I open the box. This is however, only a temporary fix as I don't really want to walk around with a cord hanging from my phone nor do I want to cut one of my wires to create a dongle in order to use it/ not kill the battery in a few hours.
EDIT:: Plugging in a mini usb has a tendency to, but does not always work. However actually charging the phone does resolve the issue while it is charging.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I hope I covered most, if not all, of the necessary information for debugging purposes. I appreciate any information anyone has or if you need more info on my part just ask.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

As long as the phone is charging the touch screen works, either outlet or pc. I experience this only when it is running on battery.

Thanks for the diagnostic codes! I never knew about them. After running the test for touch I received the following info:
Specification
Spec: 3680 ~ 13280
Min: 10330
Max: 12431
Firmware version
Chip: 81
MainSW: 10
PASSED

Second test I was able to draw around all of the boxes and pass, but I learned I cannot draw a straight line on a touch screen for the life of me.

Power and Temp Settings:
WCDMA: Idle
Rx CH: 412, R:-90
Tx CH: 12, Tx Pwr: -
Eclo: -6, RSCP: -94
SpeechVER: FR FR FR
L1: PCH_Sleep
Drx cycle: 128, PSC: 1088
Temp: 0 Batt: 145 LNA: 35
Service: Available

Battery Info:
(ADC)
VBATT:145 TA: False
CHSTA:1 USB: False
THERM:138 BAT ID:271

(MV)
VBATT_MV:3730 mV
FGAVR_MV: 3730 mV
BATT_CA: 1500 mAh
DEG: 30 C
Bat_PER: 30 %

(SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS_EX2)
ACLineStatus = 0
BatteryFlag = 1
BatteryLifePercent = 30
Reserved1 = 10
BatteryLifeTime = 0
BatteryFullLifeTime = 0
Reserved2 = 0
BackupBatteryFlag = 0
BackupBatteryLifePercent = 0
Reserved3 = 0
BackupBatteryLifeTime = 0
BackupBatteryFullLifeTime = 0
BatteryChemistry = 4
BatteryVoltage = 3757
BatteryCurrent = 0
BatteryAverageCurrent = 0
BatteryAverageInterval = 0
BatterymAHourConsumed = 0
BatteryTemperature = 30
BackupBatteryVoltage = 0

(MAX 17043 FG)
VERSION : 0
VCELL : 3756
rawSOC : 2868
adjSOC : 2958
RCOMP: 0xE01F
Result : Pass/Fail

Interesting reading those diagnostics. I didn't expect to see 0's for almost all of them. There are also 2 options at the bottom of the screen, Qstar and LOG ON.

I don't know if I'm going crazy or not but it seems this happens most frequently around 80% battery life. I usually charge the phone to upper 90's at night and by morning it is around 83%ish and decides to act up. I let it sit for a few minutes and it decides to work fine again. Could just be coincidence, but it does make sense that it could be the battery.

I also started experiencing this with my Focus Flash. I purchased mine on 1/27/2012 and it has been running fine until last night.

I noticed that the phone screen was on in my shirt pocket. Took it out and the screen was unresponsive. Held the power button down to force a power off and turned it back on and the screen worked initially, but then became unresponsive again. My battery down to about 20%, so when I got home I plugged it in and the screen was working.

Got up this morning and unplugged it and it seem to be working OK. Drove to work and as I got out of my car, noticed that screen was on in my shirt pocket again. As you mentioned, all of the button work, but as soon as you push the power button the screen goes off and then comes right back on to the lock screen.

Performed a hard reset this morning and the screen was still unresponsive. I could not even press the Setup button after the format system. Once I plugged the phone it, the screen became responsive and I was able to enter Setup and get the phone configured.

At this point it functions just fine as long as it is plugged in. The minute I unplug it the touch screen becomes unresponsive. Taking a trip to AT&T at lunch time.

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I also started experiencing this with my Focus Flash. I purchased mine on 1/27/2012 and it has been running fine until last night.

I noticed that the phone screen was on in my shirt pocket. Took it out and the screen was unresponsive. Held the power button down to force a power off and turned it back on and the screen worked initially, but then became unresponsive again. My battery down to about 20%, so when I got home I plugged it in and the screen was working.

Got up this morning and unplugged it and it seem to be working OK. Drove to work and as I got out of my car, noticed that screen was on in my shirt pocket again. As you mentioned, all of the button work, but as soon as you push the power button the screen goes off and then comes right back on to the lock screen.

Performed a hard reset this morning and the screen was still unresponsive. I could not even press the Setup button after the format system. Once I plugged the phone it, the screen became responsive and I was able to enter Setup and get the phone configured.

At this point it functions just fine as long as it is plugged in. The minute I unplug it the touch screen becomes unresponsive. Taking a trip to AT&T at lunch time.
I plan to head down to AT&T as well. This issue seems to be getting worse.

tpbklake

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Well the first thing the AT&T tech did was reflash Windows Phone 7.5 and then when he handed me the phone to sign in with my Live ID, the screen was unresponsive. He tried pushing every soft button that was on the screen and it didn't respond, so he gave me a new one on the spot.

Hope you have that same kind of luck.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry did not respond sooner had a busy weekend..

I let it sit for a few minutes and it decides to work fine again. Could just be coincidence, but it does make sense that it could be the battery.

I would replace the battery, but, that may not really be the problem.

Phone should still be under warranty and if you have it on contract then AT&T may replace it for you at the store if you can take it in "unresponsive" state.

Else if "no contract" you will have call Samsung and ask to speak to a Windows Phone Tech..And try to explain to them. Even better if you could take a video of the phone in unresponsive state and upload to youtube for them to view..

Well the first thing the AT&T tech did was reflash Windows Phone 7.5 and then when he handed me the phone to sign in with my Live ID, the screen was unresponsive. He tried pushing every soft button that was on the screen and it didn't respond, so he gave me a new one on the spot.

Hope you have that same kind of luck.

Talk about luck hopefully Bergermeister phone can do the same at the store..

Glad they replaced it at the store and hopefully this one does not have the same problems..

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry did not respond sooner had a busy weekend..

I would replace the battery, but, that may not really be the problem.

Phone should still be under warranty and if you have it on contract then AT&T may replace it for you at the store if you can take it in "unresponsive" state.

Else if "no contract" you will have call Samsung and ask to speak to a Windows Phone Tech..And try to explain to them. Even better if you could take a video of the phone in unresponsive state and upload to youtube for them to view..

Talk about luck hopefully Bergermeister phone can do the same at the store..

Glad they replaced it at the store and hopefully this one does not have the same problems..
Unfortunately the minute I walked into the store my phone decided to behave so he gave me the warranty number to call. I plan to do that at lunch. :(

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I should have my new phone around Monday. If it's an issue related to the battery then I think I'll experience it with the new phone as well using the same battery. If that's the case then at least there will be a solution to this problem, if not then I feel bad for anyone who runs into this after their warranty expires.

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Received my new phone Monday evening, I've been using the same battery as the old one, and it has not had any problems so far. I still have no what the source of the problem was.

Thanks for the help Corepc!

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear that you got it fixed, and it was not the battery, hardware itself.

Since you sent it in for repair to Samsung you should have gotten and email stating what they replaced, at least I did when I sent mine in for repair that will give you some idea. But I am guessing PBA aka motherboard..

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately mine was sent through the warranty center at ATT so I'm using a completely new phone.

New phone is even better.

After I had AT&T replace mine on the spot when I had my issue, I found this post on the AT&T forums:

On the last post that user has a suggestion that may have some merit if the problem reoccurs. Just an FYI.

dust is a smartphone worst enemy overtime, unlike our pc which we can clean, phone's we cannot (without taking them apart that is)..

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
New phone is even better.

dust is a smartphone worst enemy overtime, unlike our pc which we can clean, phone's we cannot (without taking them apart that is)..
Good thing samsung thought ahead and placed a cover over the mini usb port! oh wait...

I'll keep that in mind when it happens again, thanks tpbklake!

On a side note, do either of you know of any cases that protect the port and might possibly delay this from happening again?

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
On a side note, do either of you know of any cases that protect the port and might possibly delay this from happening again?

Case for a Focus Flash are hard to find..

Weather Resistant Cases would offer best protection..

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ource=vb_wp&utm_medium=content&token=UMJxIDK1

OtterBox 2000 but it is bulky..

I use a this Belt / Pouch Camera Case - fits perfect no movement of phone in case and has room for extra battery has well. found it at best buy.

bergermeister

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Case for a Focus Flash are hard to find..

Weather Resistant Cases would offer best protection..

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ource=vb_wp&utm_medium=content&token=UMJxIDK1

OtterBox 2000 but it is bulky..

I use a this Belt / Pouch Camera Case - fits perfect no movement of phone in case and has room for extra battery has well. found it at best buy.
Thanks for the info. I hate the look of the otterbox and how massive they are but they do cover the ports well.

Ahmed Mustafa

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine now the same issue it the screen is still responsive. I lock the phone and the screen turns right back on. This all started last night after I let the battery die. I don't think mines under warranty anymore. Any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)