Auto Brightness = Amazing battery life!!

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
When I first got my phone, I was never quite pleased with the auto brightness feature because inside my house, it seemed extremely dim. Being a new phone and loving that super amoled plus screen, I wanted to see it in its full glory every minute of every day so since the day Ive owned it, its been set to medium. Well, two days ago, after reading articles about battery life and what have you, I decided to see what kind of life I could squeeze out if I changed that feature. As for background tasks, I turned off metrotube and left insider and IMDB on. (side not- I use a black background with green tiles.)

Now typically, my phone lasts all day without a hitch but I always have to charge it at night for the next day. Even with moderate use, the most I have ever gotten out of this phone is a day and a half, waking up the next day with about 25 percent life left. Well I am pleased to annouce, and actually quite amazed myself, that I woke up this morning and the battery status indicated: Last charge 1 day, percentage left 60 percent!!! So Im actually going on my second day now and Im confident its going to last until I go to bed tonight(will report what it states right before I do) Its been three hours and after reading some news stories and checking status updates, im still over 50 percent(54 to be exact) so Im super excited. Im hitting up the gym later so Ill be using zune for at least 45 minutes but I thought I would share with the rest of you my experience.

Autobrightness still seems really dim at home in the evening but its perfect during the day and at work under office lighting so the trade off to go two days is well worth it to me. Anyone else experience this kind of battery life?

wp7isawesome

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the info. I came from an android (HTC sensation) and auto-brightness would kill the battery quicker, mainly because auto brightness constantly uses a sensor to measure the light, so I assumed the same for a WP7. I'll give auto a try and see if there is any improvement.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It's too bad the S has the wonkiest Auto Brightness ever. But yes, it helps battery life a lot.

Enabling the white background pulls exactly double the mA of the black from my observations, so if you can stick to mostly black screens in apps (Zune, etc) the battery will last even longer.

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's too bad the S has the wonkiest Auto Brightness ever. But yes, it helps battery life a lot.

Enabling the white background pulls exactly double the mA of the black from my observations, so if you can stick to mostly black screens in apps (Zune, etc) the battery will last even longer.
Yeah, its a bit off sometimes on when it adjusts but going two days before charging is SOOO worth it to me. Just wanted to report, last night, the battery read 1 day 14 hours since last charge, remaining percentage 24!! So basically, it dropped roughly 25 percent every 12 or so hours...not bad at all!! Im hoping to see how this keeps up so Ill keep everyone posted if I see any changes.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it refreshing to easily get through an entire day of use without wondering where the nearest outlet is located? With a 4G smartphone with a 4.3" screen, no less...

After my dad got an SII, he said "you were right...I have to charge this thing constantly." I never had the heart to tell him I charged my "SII" every day and a half to two days :p

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it refreshing to easily get through an entire day of use without wondering where the nearest outlet is located? With a 4G smartphone with a 4.3" screen, no less...

After my dad got an SII, he said "you were right...I have to charge this thing constantly." I never had the heart to tell him I charged my "SII" every day and a half to two days :p
Its super refreshing!! My friend has his HTC amaze 4g turned off of cellular service just so his battery lasts the complete 8 hours he's here at work...my lord, it would be so frustrating if I had a phone like that...And luckily, it wasnt just a fluke for me, Im going on my second day again and still have over 50 percent remaining, auto brightness, oh how I love thee, let me count the ways... ;)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
But.... Auto brightness drives me bonkers, insane, irrational irritable, and generally annoys me.

Other than that, it's okay.

Yep, I just have extra chargers.....

:)

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But.... Auto brightness drives me bonkers, insane, irrational irritable, and generally annoys me.

Other than that, it's okay.

Yep, I just have extra chargers.....

:)
LOL! Well ill tell you this, after having it enabled for over a week, it seems to be alot better than it was, especially outdoors, I can finally see my screen in its full glory(never used full brightness before) It doesnt switch as much as it did during those first few days and it seems to select the right one for each situation as well...All I know is the extra day of use is REALLY useful to me...I can now go a full weekend without charging so its nice to be spontaneous and not have to worry about "Do you have a plug nearby?" ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett