Problem with special characters in text messages on Verizon Wireless

emt147

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Is there an encoding issue with special characters on HTC Trophy on Verizon Wireless? If I use special characters in text messages (e.g. a foreign alphabet), they come across as underlines or square boxes. Android users on Verizon and iPhone users on ATT can text me just fine and the phone displays their foreign alphabet messages correctly but they receive blanks from me.

Thanks!

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Russian Alphabet...

Is there an encoding issue with special characters on HTC Trophy on Verizon Wireless? If I use special characters in text messages (e.g. a foreign alphabet), they come across as underlines or square boxes. Android users on Verizon and iPhone users on ATT can text me just fine and the phone displays their foreign alphabet messages correctly but they receive blanks from me.

Thanks!

I also have this issue. I text occasionally in the Russian language and discovered that regardless of how you text the special characters will turn up with underscores etc... I was told a while back (by a Microsoft rep pn Microsoft Answers) though that this was an issue with Verizon and Sprint in particular concerning the technology they use to encode their data. (CDMA) or something to that effect.

I was told in short it was not an issue with the Windows Phone OS, but the carrier themselves so unless they change something somehow, I don't think that can be fixed. I'll continue to research this further though and see if there is anything to be done, because I would love to text my Russian friends in the Cyrillic alphabet.

(However for a mediocre fix, this only affects text messages, so emails should not be affected if you desire to send an email with special characters.)

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Try, Go to Settings - Network - Texts. There is an option for "Reduced Characterset"

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Toirdhealbhach

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Try, Go to Settings - Network - Texts. There is an option for "Reduced Characterset"

Nope, unfortunately the Verizon Trophy doesn?t have that option at all, though I see that Nokia Windows phones do:

We grabbed one of those ROM, OS 8773 with firmware 12120 from Mexican carrier Telcel to see what it has on board. Presumably, these changes you see in the above video will also be on the Lumia 800 and 900 ROMs as well, so consider this a sneak peek. Here is what's new:
Call forwarding - forward your calls to a designated number for (1) all calls (2) when I don't answer (3) when I am busy (4) when my phone is turned off
Call waiting - enable/disable
SMS delivery confirmation* - on/off
MMS delivery confirmation* - on/off
SMS Character set - Reduced (no accents, standard SMS) or Full
Send MMS acknowledgement* - on/off
Internet Sharing (aka WiFi tethering)
Enhanced MMS - Send voice notes, multiple images, video
Nokia branded Marketplace icon

Hands on with Windows Phone Tango and the Nokia Lumia 710 | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo