Hard reset or wait for Tango

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I have been having problems with my live tiles not updating, like the weather live tile and USA today etc. I might have to be blamed for it as I downloaded a lot of apps like news apps and made live tiles of those and looks like there is a limit on the number of live tiles or number of background tasks. So apparently when you download a lot of apps with background tasks, the registry in the phone gets filled up and there wont be any live tile updates unless you hard reset your phone, if I know it correctly. I uninstalled a lo of those unnecessary apps but the registry still stays the same and the live tiles wont still update themselves.
I am now debating, if I should just hard reset my phone or wait for Tango. I am hoping that Tango will fix this issue or at least the software update should clean up my registry and get my live tiles to work correctly.
I would not prefer to reset and go about syncing everything again.

What do you guys think.

cr_buck

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Check your background tasks

I have discovered from personal experience there are a few reasons for this. My wife's phone does this about once ever two months or so. She just reboots and they are back up. Sometimes its just one tile that doesn't update, like Accuweather. In that case it's because of an update that requires you to agree to their terms of services all over again and re-enable live tile support, again Accuweather is bad about this. Another problem is if you have too many background tasks. I believe the limit is 9 as of Mango. You can find that out in your settings under Background Tasks. On mine I just can't have more than 9 background tasks that are selectable turned on. For some reason the grayed out ones don't seem to matter. One last thing I have discovered that can do this. If you have more than, if memory serves correct, 24 live tiles it will cause them to stop updating. This figure was upped as of Mango but it is still not infinite. Well hopefully one of those will help you track down the problem. So far on 4 Windows Phones those steps have fixed my live tile updating problems.

Good Luck!

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried restarting, uninstalling and restarting etc. and to no use.. Hence asking the question.. does anyone know if the software update will be able to clear the registry in the phone.

cr_buck

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I tried restarting, uninstalling and restarting etc. and to no use.. Hence asking the question.. does anyone know if the software update will be able to clear the registry in the phone.
I know some of what I said you already tried but I thought it would be helpful for others as well. You say registry access. Do do have an unlocked phone? As for Tango, I haven't seen much relating to upping the limit particularly since its target at low end phones. It would seem if you wanted to wait that Apollo would be a better bet but I personally couldn't stand waiting that long. Strange thing is I've been through hundreds of apps and the procedures I have mentioned have always fixed it. I wonder if your firmware is messed up. Before contemplating a reset I wonder have your tried posing your question the good folks at xda-developers? They might have more in depth knowledge on the matter.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre