Official: Nokia Lumia 900 not getting Windows Phone 8

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Ugh - another whiner. Sell your 900 now on Ebay then and go buy an Android phone or something.

Seriously? This is your reaction when your less than 2 month old device is already EOL and you are locked into a contract for 22 more months? I hate fanbois....be it Apple, Android or WP. Are you not allowed to complain when the phone that both Nokia/MS/AT&T touted as the best thing since sliced bread has already become obsolete? Come on man..

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know WP 7.8 sounds like it will suffice fine until you can get a new device I am not bitter at all. Disappointed a little but I am not shocked at least they are doing something unlike some companies where you may never get an update again

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
WP7.8 is THE EXACT SAME THING as WP8 minus features specifically made for new hardware. Apps written SPECIFICALLY made for these new hardware features (dual-core, nfc for example) won't be able to run on the Lumia 900.

Now, people are so quick to dismiss any new development. Would you want to use an app developed around NFC if you don't have the chip in your phone? I didn't think so. Would you want to run a game needing a dual core on your Lumia 900 and get a laggy and choppy experience? I didn't think so.

Get real people.

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the frustration really is about coming to the end of the software upgrade path so quickly.

Of course we expected hardware upgrades in the newer Windows phone. Things like NFC. But Windows 7.8 is going to be pleasant for only a few months. Then, we will be far, far behind.

I don't remember exactly, but I think even Apple continues limited support for their old phones for a least 2-3 iOS upgrades.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly this is why I paid Craigslist price for the lumia 900 and not use my upgrade.

There is too much uncertainties when it launched about the upgrade path.

To have a phone launched in April 2012 with 7.5. and not upgrade to 8 looks very bad when Microsoft and Nokia are trying establish windows phone.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly this is why I paid Craigslist price for the lumia 900 and not use my upgrade.

That's EXACTLY right - EVERYONE on this forum knew that current WP7 devices might not get WP8. EVERYONE. It was never a secret. BEFORE the Lumia launched, there were tons of people on here asking "will it get updated?". Nobody knew.

If you were that concerned about the update, you would've waited. And if you're that upset, you can still sell your Lumia and buy off contract when WP8 hits. You made a decision to upgrade to the Lumia, and you knew the risk, and that's the way it is. If you abandon Microsoft because of this, ok, good luck getting Android updates. And if you were an Apple fan, you probably wouldn't be here in the first place.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? This is your reaction when your less than 2 month old device is already EOL and you are locked into a contract for 22 more months? I hate fanbois....be it Apple, Android or WP. Are you not allowed to complain when the phone that both Nokia/MS/AT&T touted as the best thing since sliced bread has already become obsolete? Come on man..

Obsolete?

It's still a damn fine phone with a damn fine OS.

Most people buy something based on what it currently is, as opposed to what it might be.

There will be updates for coming to add new features. But what you currently have is a good phone.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand those people whining about receiving an update to Windows Phone 7.8. It really doesn't get any better than that. Your hardware is limited. Should MS and the WP team not move this platform forward for the fear of upsetting those with limited devices?!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the frustration really is about coming to the end of the software upgrade path so quickly.

Of course we expected hardware upgrades in the newer Windows phone. Things like NFC. But Windows 7.8 is going to be pleasant for only a few months. Then, we will be far, far behind.

I don't remember exactly, but I think even Apple continues limited support for their old phones for a least 2-3 iOS upgrades.

But you're not at the end of an upgrade path. It just won't be the exact same path as future devices that have yet to even be released.

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
But you're not at the end of an upgrade path. It just won't be the exact same path as future devices that have yet to even be released.

Hmm. I suppose it would be nice if we did get a WP 7.9 as well, down the line, with even more software upgrades. I suppose that is a possibility!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Think of it this way. Compared to me, you're all lucky because I have an HTC titan with a jacked up USB port. So I can't even upgrade to 7.8!!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you really surprised that your old hardware can't magically support new hardware features? I mean, did you seriously believe the hardware on Windows Phone was never going to get better? Maybe you would be happier with those massive upgrades in iOS6... You're still getting a great software update which is all you can ask for on old hardware.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone got a link to a list of what's actually in WP7.8? So far all I've heard is "different-sized tiles".

Only with that list can we really tell whether 7.8 is actually a significant upgrade... or just fluff that they hope keeps the existing user base happy.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Anyone got a link to a list of what's actually in WP7.8? So far all I've heard is "different-sized tiles".

Only with that list can we really tell whether 7.8 is actually a significant upgrade... or just fluff that they hope keeps the existing user base happy.

New home screen and continued app support (aside from dual core created apps). Advanced speech capabilities (coming in a few weeks). New Nokia camera apps, also coming soon.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You can't expect MSFT to enlist end user features in dev summit!!!! There will be features. Let MSFT keep cards close to its heart. Else Apple is waiting to steal it like Mango features. Also, Nokia Lumia 900 IS CURRENT FLAGSHIP phone and they advertised it so. It is sexiest non living thing on earth. They never said it will be the sexiest flagship phone even after 1 month of its launch. Till WP8 phones aren't in our hands, Lumia 900 WILL BE THE FLAGSHIP phone. This means till Dec 2012!!!

Sent from my Titan using Board Express

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you really surprised that your old hardware can't magically support new hardware features? I mean, did you seriously believe the hardware on Windows Phone was never going to get better? Maybe you would be happier with those massive upgrades in iOS6... You're still getting a great software update which is all you can ask for on old hardware.

That's the thing though. The hardware is barely 3 months old.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte