Force updating to WP7.8

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am updating my Arrive with this as we speak. Thanks guys. I 'll post any problems encountered.

Thanks

-Doc

Update: Finished the full install on my Arrive, couple of things. When I go into settings, if I click on email and accounts or WiFi and a few others, those settings categories will not open. Could be frustrating if I was actually using this phone, but definetely noteworthy for anyone utilizing this method. The additional colors don't seem to be there either. If anyone has any knowledge here let me know.

EDIT: Cannot get in to messaging, adding email accounts. Phone, and many others. This thing is done for now. I can't even get in to do a hard reset on the phone.

Last edited:

grejj

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So, reading this thread over, there are plenty o'folks who are saying how easy it is to install 7.8, and a few who say not so easy, had some trouble, whatever. What I really want to ready about are people's experiences with 7.8 on the Arrive after installation. Any glaring bugs? Any good reasons to actually do the upgrade (a fix for the disappearing keyboard bug might be worth it all by itself)? Any horror stories? I appreciate seeing Dr. Impossible's comments above. Any one else ready to speak out?

akodoreign

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I used the tool on 2x arrives it crashes at the end of each update but no big deal just re-launch. Took about 6 updates to get to 7.8 and it works flawlessly.
Friends/Family plan sprint
Htc evo 4g lte - mine
HTC arrive - wife
Htc evo 4g lte - friend 1
samsung moment - friend (hasn't paid his bill, leaving him on the moment until he does, or till the contract expires)
HTC arrive - oldest son

the 2x arrives upgraded flawlessly here. :)

ShipWreck

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok thinking about using the tool do you just select English packs or all of them? I only need English but reading on here sounds like folks had to select them all to get this to work..

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
If you're using an Arrive on Sprint do NOT select anything but English...as you can screw up your ability to ever receive any future updates IF Sprint/HTC do put them out.

Using the 78er tool just select English on each update. Make sure you do it for EACH update otherwise you can screw things up.

ShipWreck

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're using an Arrive on Sprint do NOT select anything but English...as you can screw up your ability to ever receive any future updates IF Sprint/HTC do put them out.

Using the 78er tool just select English on each update. Make sure you do it for EACH update otherwise you can screw things up.

Yeah looking at the 78er tool so you choose english packs only how long does it take. After the updates are done did the 7.8 update keep your Emails accounts and all your Apps you had installed or did you half to reinstall everything like your email and Apps?? Did they 7.8 fix the keyboard issue with it disappering??

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah looking at the 78er tool so you choose english packs only how long does it take. After the updates are done did the 7.8 update keep your Emails accounts and all your Apps you had installed or did you half to reinstall everything like your email and Apps?? Did they 7.8 fix the keyboard issue with it disappering??

It was about 6 update cycles I believe. The 78er tool crashed after each update...which is no big deal, you just open it up again and keep going.

The 78er tool acts very similar to how Zune pulls updates and puts them on so it doesn't wipe the device at all. Everything was still there and working just fine.

7.8 does indeed fix the keyboard issue as that was actually an OS issue and not a device specific issue...actually any update post 7720/7740 had that issue solved so, it's good news all around.

I have a feeling most of the folks that end up with issues either tried to install additional unnecessary items, or forgot to add the 0409 language pack for each update cycle.

ShipWreck

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It was about 6 update cycles I believe. The 78er tool crashed after each update...which is no big deal, you just open it up again and keep going.

The 78er tool acts very similar to how Zune pulls updates and puts them on so it doesn't wipe the device at all. Everything was still there and working just fine.

7.8 does indeed fix the keyboard issue as that was actually an OS issue and not a device specific issue...actually any update post 7720/7740 had that issue solved so, it's good news all around.

I have a feeling most of the folks that end up with issues either tried to install additional unnecessary items, or forgot to add the 0409 language pack for each update cycle.

So you just pick the English US pack only correct. You mention 0409 is that the English US pack or is it actually called 0409? How long did it take for your update to finish?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So you just pick the English US pack only correct. You mention 0409 is that the English US pack or is it actually called 0409? How long did it take for your update to finish?

Sorry, 0409 is the code number for the EN/US (US English) pack. That's the only one you want to select...and you want to do it for each update.

Each one of the update cycles took a few minutes. I think it was about a half hour total, maybe a little longer to get all the way up to WP 7.8.

David Eberbach

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Did it keep all your settings like email so forth are did you half to reconfigure everything? Did it take very long??

Everything remained for me. Outlook, and my several other e-mail acc'ts, all of my tiles stayed as they were as well. Phone, messaging and ap updates have all worked as normal today. All I have done today was to resize tiles and changed the theme color. Can't say for sure how long the update took. I watched the first few updated which cycled the phone on and off each time, then I went to bed and let it run. All was golden in the morning. The first several took about 15-20 minutes, so maybe 30-40 minutes total.

Last edited:

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I updated 2 Arrives today. Both went perfectly.
Everything appears to be working fine. Compass is still broken. but it's expected now on the 1st gen phones.
Small Tiles are fantastic. The phone over all is much more responsive.
The new colors are great. Lots of nice additions, such as, can now add multiple attachments to messages.
I used Seven-Eighter to do it. I really tried the force method of update from Zune and kill inet, but this didn't work, so,,,,
If this messes up ability to get further updates I figure, you know, they didn't push any previous updates and I had to force Mango using the Zune Trick
so what the heck, might as well. Will be getting a WP8 around the end of the year anyway. I still like WP7.8 and WP8 along with Win8 and soon possibly Surface Pro.
But MS needs to bypass the carriers and push out these updates to everyone. The carriers don't care about Windows Phones yet, but they will.

Keep the following in mind.....

I ran this update on my Desktop running Windows 8 64bit
I updated both phones from Mango 7.5 (7720)

When you start, I do believe you need Zune 4.7, I downloaded 4.8 and installed on my laptop (Win8 64bit also) and the 78er app gave me issues about not finding a Zune file.
So i decided to try it on my desktop and it prompted to download some dev tools. I said yes, installed them and continued...
After the dev tools install,, quit and restart 78er.

Select English, it's the first one you find in the list, don't just highlight it, you have to make sure there is a check in the box.
I was only asked once. If you are asked more than once, make sure you do what I suggested each time. As has been suggested through out this thread

What I did, turned on Airplane Mode
Set the phone to never sleep or lock, and disabled the password
Set your PC to not sleep at all, just in case for whatever reason the PC tries to sleep, this could cause the updates to fail and possibly brick your phone
Play it safe and set it up to not sleep or anything.

MOST importantly, LEAVE THE PC ALONE, don't touch it, close whatever apps you may have running before you start the update
Don't surf, don't do anything else on the system, just leave it alone and just watch for any prompts as needed.
Let it complete, don't get impatient, it will tell you when it is done, can't miss that part.
don't worry about how long things might take, could be longer than others are saying
Let the app do it's thing, you will be glad you did.

If you did all of this, chances are you will have a smooth update. Enjoy.

Thanks to jaxbot for the app.

nrguser

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Used the 7.8er tool once I got back from school, it went fairly quick and had no problems.

Thanks!

edit: I don't currently use my arrive as my phone, it's a MP3/office device now. Don't know if that had anything to do with how fast this was done.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
78er worked for me too. Arrive running great with 7.8 :)

See HTC, was that so hard?

Phone is quicker and I love being able to use the small tiles, lets me have xbox, zune, phone, IE, SMS, weather, calendar, personal email, business email 1, business email 2, and school email all without scrolling. It's awesome. I love this phone and don't want to give it up for a non-QWERTY phone just yet. Even though I did see a purple HTC 8X and really want it lol. Too bad it's not on Sprint!

Last edited:

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I downloaded the tool, and ran it for about 30 minutes while doing other things. When I came back, 7.8 was installed - thanks!
I previously tried to do the manual CAB install which failed because I didn't have the full set of updates to work with - I went with what the Windows site stated which wasn't the full sequence of upgrades I needed. Annihilatorg's post seems to have the full list of updates required, but using the tool was so much easier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss