We are among the first to get the 7.8 upgrade!!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft touched on the fact that existing devices will not get the actual 8.0 version (moment of sad silence), but "some" will get the rumored 7.8 upgrade which will be feature rich. Among the upgrades will be the new customizable start screen, the Wallet Hub (no NFC), and upgraded Windows Office and security integrations.

The first three devices listed? The Nokia 900 (of course), the HTC Radar (surprised by that one), and....

.... wait for it.....

THE EVER AWESOME FOCUS S!!!!!

Makes me smile. I am sure all 2nd Gen devices will get it, but ain't it nice to be first???

:-D

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Holy Cow! WP7.8 coming in a matter of weeks???

RT ‏@NokiaUS @APNWindowsPhone The update will be rolling out in the coming weeks.

https://twitter.com/APNWindowsPhone/status/215549101260013568
I wouldn't hold my breathe on that, ninjaap. The reply was "coming weeks". I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't start rolling out before WP8 handsets do, but not THAT much before. They will do what MS always does- kinda leave everyone on the edge of their chair in suspense, then pop up with all kinds of news. Give them time.

@Sunil Zishan- no news on any 1st gen devices yet. Sorry. Will keep on eyes open.

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft touched on the fact that existing devices will not get the actual 8.0 version (moment of sad silence), but "some" will get the rumored 7.8 upgrade which will be feature rich. Among the upgrades will be the new customizable start screen, the Wallet Hub (no NFC), and upgraded Windows Office and security integrations.

The first three devices listed? The Nokia 900 (of course), the HTC Radar (surprised by that one), and....

.... wait for it.....

THE EVER AWESOME FOCUS S!!!!!

Makes me smile. I am sure all 2nd Gen devices will get it, but ain't it nice to be first???

:-D
Woohoo!! Thats awesoem but where are you finding this info? Can you share the link?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breathe on that, ninjaap. The reply was "coming weeks". I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't start rolling out before WP8 handsets do, but not THAT much before. They will do what MS always does- kinda leave everyone on the edge of their chair in suspense, then pop up with all kinds of news. Give them time.

@Sunil Zishan- no news on any 1st gen devices yet. Sorry. Will keep on eyes open.

Unfortunately, you are right. I read the rest of the twitter feed and Nokia clarified that updates such as camera functions will be coming in the next few weeks. 7.8 is still yet to be announced.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Woohoo!! Thats awesoem but where are you finding this info? Can you share the link?
I can only find this link, with our Focus S, the 900, and the Radar on the shortlist:

Existing devices won?t get Windows Phone 8

I cannot find the story that claimed what some of the features were that 7.8 would include. Sorry, I was all over the Mobile websites that day, and now have lost track of where I read it. With a couple of sources saying that 7.8 is only the start screen and nothing else, I have really looked (which I do not even remotely buy into. Nokia alone would demand more to keep their Lumia line relevant for three - four months). Sorry, if I find it, I will post it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
WHAT?! It's only coming to SOME devices? What about my HD7? :(

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express
Relax... breathe in, breathe out....

It is way to soon to say who will get the 7.8 update and who won't. This was simply the first communication on it. I truly believe that all second gen devices will get it. That would cover, strictly my opinion, all Nokia's, both Titans, the Fujitsu, and the other two Samsungs: the Focus Flash and the Focus 2 (unless sales of those two are so poor, they are not worth the effort. Surely at least the Flash?).

The HD7 and the first gen WP's are a little more iffy, but I wouldn't jump off the cliff yet. There is so much universal with these devices, that I see no reason why they couldn't upgrade them. The internals are close, and processor speeds are at least in the same ballpark.

The only thinking in not upgrading the HD7 family, the quantum, optimus 7, the original Focus (easily best seller of it's generation), the Arrive, the Trophy, and whatever I am missing would be to "encourage" those owners to get a WP8.

Again, we are months away from 7.8 upgrade (I still am hoping for the freaking Tango upgrades for my "S" and my Wife's Titan. Hate that disappearing keyboard) and the WP 8 release. We shall see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djysrv