Nokia feels it is doing "enough" to support the 900

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey gang!!

In the wake of the WP 8 announcement, our community is of course abuzz about the 7.8 upgrade and people's worry that our WP7 devices may be left in the dust by app developers and lack of support. I, of course, feel the 7.8 upgrade is great, and feel all of us will be fine for 2 years+ we own our devices. As a matter of a fact, I am way more worried about us Samsung owners and HTC owners than you lucky dog Nokia owners who is all in on WP.

But, while reading about HTC WP 8 roadmap on the Verge, I came across this post:

Nokia: we're doing 'more than enough' for Lumia 900 users, despite the lack of WP8 upgrade | The Verge

These comments tend to support that Nokia understands how important the 900 is to them, there are some near cocky statements that gave me pause. While they may be just bad quotes, I thought 900 owners may be interested. (There are more apps being developed for Nokia's current WP7 line, by the way)

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I think we'll be fine too. WP8 isn't coming until fall, even then it will take a while before there are more wp8 devices out there than wp7 devices, so I think wp7 will have fine support for a while. I am glad we are getting 7.8 with the things I really want.

By the time wp8 is really in full force I'll probably be ready/eligible to upgrade next year.

Everyone is so worried about the latest and greatest.

I realize I don't need the latest and greatest.
The phone does what I need, and it works great.

People just love to ***** and whine about this stuff.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I know I can't speak for everyone, but I'll be fine with 7.8 (still hoping for Skype "integration") untill my next upgrade, Aug 2013. By then we should have WP8.5 devices.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, some of those quotes do come off being a bit arrogant to the end users. " I think that ultimately your typical customer probably isn't all that aware of this upgrade thing," kinda pushes me the wrong way because it kinda shows that he believe (not Nokia) that Nokia is already factoring in the awareness of this so called "typical customer." It is true, but is that the reason Nokia released the Lumia 900 so closed to WP8 release because they believe customers are dumb enough to not know a major update was coming?
Also have to agree as well as Nokia users are the only ones benefiting from the scraps right now as we're going to be able to have some access to some apps. MSFT just threw the ball into the OEMs hands and said, "look if you want your current WP7 users happy you guys have to do something about it, not us." There's going to be backlash of this more to come I'm sure, especially from the media, and I wouldn't be surprised when iOS6 lands and Apple makes their iPhone5 announcement they're going to play this over again. I wasn't expecting a full upgrade and getting all the bells and whistles of WP8, but I wasn't expecting to just get a new Start screen only (according WPCentral's podcast and Paul Thurott the 7.8 update is the Start screen ONLY and nothing else). Glad I went Lumia, but still a little bitter at what's happened.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
While I think they can/should do more, I also have to remind myself that Nokia only has so much control over WP8 and thus there isn't much they can do besides make more exclusive apps for both 7.8 and 8.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I think 7.8 update is fine, there may be more updates after 7.8 available as well.

I think developers should and will develop for 7.x with 8 in mind as 7.x will run on 8. A developer wants the most exposure. Only game developers that will utilize direct x and the hardware in win 8 will develop for 8 for the most part. Most other apps can be developed for 7.x and will work on both.

With that, the sooner they release the 7.8 update the better. The 7.8 update will keep me satisfied with my device even when windows phone 8 is out. When nokia release their new device, I will weigh it against the lumia 900, and can make a decision then on upgrading or not.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has done plenty for that phone. They haven't dragged their feet on any of it's issues and they also have/are pushing plenty of updates/content to it.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Fixing problems quickly, giving credits to those that bought 900s due to the issues, continued app support with more coming over the next few months, new update to 7.8 coming and i think tango as well hopefully before that, i'd say they've done enough, but that doesnt mean that they will stop at enough.

The support they have given to this phone will go a long way. Cant say so much about other OEMS like samsung/htc who pretty much provided no support.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

.....and so do I. So many are losing their minds over yesterday announcements, they forget that it was a developers summit. There is so much we still have yet to learn about 7.8 and what kind of support we will be receiving.

I loved my Focus S until I broke it and had to use my free upgrade for L900. The truth is Nokia has won me over. Samsung fixxed my S but it sits in it's box as a backup phone. I'll keep enjoying both my phone and the support that Nokia is giving it and when I'm ready for WP 8 or 8.5 or 9 it will be a Nokia device.

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, if NOKIA can do some fix for the camera quality, I would still stay with them. Right now, the "flagship" L900 isn't taking better pictures than my 500MP Carl Zeiss N79...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

.....and so do I. So many are losing their minds over yesterday announcements, they forget that it was a developers summit. There is so much we still have yet to learn about 7.8 and what kind of support we will be receiving.

I loved my Focus S until I broke it and had to use my free upgrade for L900. The truth is Nokia has won me over. Samsung fixxed my S but it sits in it's box as a backup phone. I'll keep enjoying both my phone and the support that Nokia is giving it and when I'm ready for WP 8 or 8.5 or 9 it will be a Nokia device.
Glad all is good in your world, Old_Cus. Miss your posts over on the "S" stomping grounds. I had forgotten you had to use your upgrade for the 900. I truly hope Nokia stand behind the 900. And I truly hope this 7.8 is more than just a token upgrade for customers like you. I still feel great about our platform, and I am excited to see how they hook us up.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Let's see.

Nokia released a patch for a data loss bug, which I didn't even experience, within 2 WEEKS of it being discovered.

THEN they refunded me my $100 anyway.

So I got my phone for free, as an apology for a bug which I didn't even experience, which they released a patch for within 2 weeks.

On top of that, Nokia has worked like crazy to push out great new software/apps for my phone and even brought exclusive games and apps from third parties.

While doing that, they have consistently kept up with updates for their own software.

So are they doing "enough" to support the 900?

YES, I'd say they certainly are.

I've NEVER owned a cell phone from any manufacturer that was 1/2 as responsive as Nokia has been. It's amazing how quickly people forget this because they are so busy throwing a temper tantrum like a baby because they aren't getting a WP8 upgrade on their phone.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I think every one is doing what they can.

Nokia because they have the big deal with Microsoft.

Even HTC and Samsung are doing what they can... IMHO. They're deep in to Android and Samsung is making a killing w/ Android, and even had the most popular devices on WP, prior to the Lumia 900.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05