HELP Screen unresponsive and charge is spotty.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I was out in a car and was charging the phone. Now living in Washington State I got rained on and the car had no top. I stuck the phone under my leg so it stayed dry and now I have issues with the touch screen it will sometimes register but usually it wont sometimes it takes 5 taps to get one letter or digit to work. It seems to work and then not work. I do have AT&T insurance and I have also tried battery pulls and a soft reset. I also have to pull the cable up to charge but I think it is an issue with the cable because I have to do the same thing with other devices. Any help would be appreciated.

kleine98

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, after my daughter got me with a super soaker.

I also found that pushing the lock screen button does not turn the screen off - but instead would reopen the lock screen, resulting in the screen being always on and draining the battery.

One thing that has helped me (but not solved the problem completely) is to clean out the micro usb port. i found a good amount of lint had gathered in there and removing it sure did help with the lagging problem and solved the lock screen issue.

my only remaing issue is that my computer will not recognize the device at all - no familiar device connected "bing" sound when i plug it up to sync through zune. Zune no longer finds the device at all.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Update - after a thorough cleaning and a battery pull, my device connected to zune. back in business now.:)
Same problem, screen staying on instead of sleep mode. Multiple taps to register a letter/number. Also a dead zone in the middle to right side of screen, had to go to left side to slide start screen up. I sent it to samsung (no longer with AT$t) and am awaiting info on repair. Two months ago I had the USB port acting up, would say charging when off charger, wouldn't connect to Zune, etc.. With mine you could connect to computer, open Zune, then power cycle phone and when it came back on it would connect to Zune. Sent to samsung and they replaced USB port, worked fine until the new problems. Using an HTC Amaze while it's getting fixed, nice little phone.

kleine98

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
oh - the other odd symptom I had was that everything worked 100% fine when plugged in. it was only when on the battery that I experienced these issues. Also the charging indicator would be "confused" as to when it was plugged in or not.

It really seems odd to me that lint in the micro usb would have the effect of multiple taps and the lagging screen response, but it did. i'd been fighting this issue for a week, and didn't want to pay the insurance deductible.

after cleaning - it's been working great all day.

Silverdogz - it would be interesting if you tried cleaning first. I used a safety pin and poked around until two big lint balls came out.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Careful though, my screen problem was intermittent and would go away for a couple days even. Had to wait til it happened again, then pulled battery and boxed it up for warranty repair thru samsung. Even did a hard reset while problem was present and it remained after reset. Weird.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not have anything in the USB port but nothing seems to be wrong except the charging. This will be my first time using AT&T insurance so hopefully no deductible.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung reported "bad power button, replaced" as the root of my problem with unresponsive screen and inability to go into sleep mode. Sending back now, will let you know.

ashlads

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This is a problem even I faced. The problem is with the USB port. I had to bend the pin inside the port upwards and I fixed a small piece of plastic under it. That solved my problem. The charger and USB point doesn't go in completely but it works perfectly now. Had to do this because I neither have and insurance not warranty since I'm from India and got the device imported from USA.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Buddy, glad you got an easy fix out of that!! I now know: Water and Focus S are not a good mix. Got it.

No swimming for me and mine.

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
Logged on just to say I had the same issue with my wife's phone.

I just ran the upgrade to tango thinking it would help... Nothing..
It was responsive only when plugged in

I read the USB tip on this thread.. and it worked!

I have no insurance and on prepaid so this is a life savor

Thank you all.

Now..to add all the damn apps again since I reset the freaking thing.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo