Upgrade your Focus S to Tango/Samsung Firmware and KEEP Interop unlock / MMS

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I know there's been several threads and posts about this scattered around but I thought I'd post my definitive experience in an obvious place. It's from my post tacked on another thread, but here it is in all it's (hopefully useful) glory:

I just wanted to follow up and say that I successfully updated my Focus S to Tango using the 'cab send' method.

In doing so I was able to KEEP my Interop unlock AND MMS settings.

You do have to do it one stage at a time and it's crucial that you do NOT apply the Samsung Firmware update until the very end AFTER you've confirmed each step. It's also CRUCIAL to be inairplane mode and have your internet disconnected while doing the updates to make sure your phone doesn't relock.

Here's a brief outline of steps I took:
  1. Created a backup of my 7720 Mango phone state (how the phone arrived). Used the tool mentioned in this thread. This is also where you'll get all the cab files you need.
  2. 2. Used Heathcliff's Version and Language info xap file (also from above thread) to make sure I knew which language packs to download - in my case, all 22 of them!
  3. Split my files in to two update folders, 7.10.8107.79-7.10.8112.7 and 7.10.8112.7-7.10.8773.98
  4. Sideloaded the relock prevent xap file from here. This is also a good place to read up on how to do this update properly.
  5. Double checked I was interop unlocked and MMS settings were working
  6. Used cab sender method to upgrade from 8107 to 8112, languages and OS.
  7. Checked unlock status and deployed relock xap (the Tango update fills in the MS URL in the registry which "phones home" and relocks the phone. The xap file blanks this out again. Give root priveliges using WP7 Root Tools and activate relock xap.
  8. Checked MMS still working.
  9. Used cab sender method to update 8112 - 8773. Rinse and repeat checking interop and MMS and redoing relock xap for good mesaure.
  10. At this time I also deployed my Internet / MMS settings via provxml method and applied. Again, double checked all was working.
  11. MADE BACKUP OF PHONE IN THIS FULLY WORKING STATE BEFORE APPLYING FINAL SAMSUNG FIRMWARE UPDATE
  12. Applied Samsung Firmware update.
So at this stage I had a phone that was Interop unlocked but I ran into a hiccup with the MMS. I used the Samsung Wireless Manager and noticed that the Samsung Firmware update had changed all the MMS setting back to the AT&T defaults.

I used ##634## (Diagnosis app) and *#9908* to get to provisioning menu and because I had already deployed and saved the Internet / MMS provxml file it appeared in the list and allowed me to apply it.

Rebooted phone and everything was, and still is working.

So I'm running a Samsung Focus S - fully updated to Tango with Internet AND MMS working on Straight Talk.

Sweeeeeeeet!

Anyhow, thought it might be of help to some people.
biggrin.png

Oh, one more thing. For the people who have tried this and ended up relocked due to Samsung Firmware with no backup, I know you've been trying to get the Samsung Wireless manager to deploy MMS settings with no luck.

In playing with that app, I noticed it is VERY particular about how the information is listed for MMS settings to work. I've listed below everything that I can see from that section as I believe HOW some of these sections are written is KEY to getting this to work.
  1. In Wireless Manager go over to APN
  2. Make sure Automatic APN is UNCHECKED
  3. Click edit apn
  4. you should see an entry called mms_line. If it's called something else I believe this is part of the problem
  5. Click on it to edit it
  6. Settings as follows:
  7. APN name = mms_line
  8. Profile category = mms
  9. MMSC (whatever your provider has told you. For Straight Talk it's http://mmsc.cingular.com
  10. APN = Whatever your provider has told you. For Straight Talk it's att.mvno
  11. Auth type = none (unless your provider is different)
  12. Username = blank (unless your provider is different)
  13. Password = blank (unless your provider is different)
  14. Proxy address - Whatever your provider gave you. For Straight Talk it's 66.209.11.33
  15. Proxy domain = blank (unless your provider is different)
  16. Proxy port = Whatever your provider gave you. For Straight Talk it's 80
Hit the save button and that should be it. Reboot for good measure.

That's it folks - I hope all that information is useful to someone.
cool.png

Last edited:
Reactions: redeyss

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. However, my provider didn't tell me what the proxy IP address is and the information is not available online. I'm going to call them today to see if they can give it to me, otherwise I'm unsure it will ever work.:mad:

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Bell Canada.
I did manage to find the IP, which is 206.47.201.84. After entering this an all other information exactly as mentioned, I am able to receive MMS but still unable to send :( one step closer though :)

My only thought at this time: I changed the network profile from AT&T default to one of the test beds found in the diagnosis app. It may be that I have to reset my phone to get the AT&T defaults back before it will accept the changes.

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Let me know how you get on. You may also need the mmsc proxy address line if you don't already. Usually a HTTP:// address. I really hope you can get it working and enjoy your Focus S again. I'm loving mine! :D

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express Pro

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Let me know how you get on. You may also need the mmsc proxy address line if you don't already. Usually a HTTP:// address. I really hope you can get it working and enjoy your Focus S again. I'm loving mine! :D

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express Pro
Everytime I put in the mmsc proxy for bell (or any variant) it always resets to the default suwon3g one after saving. All other settings stay the same. It says (activated) beside "MMSC" btw

This is what I'm trying:
apn name: Suwon3GMMS (required to be recognized as an MMS profile by the current profile)
type: mms
mmsc: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc (and a bunch of other variations)
apn: pda.bell.ca or pda2.bell.ca
auth: none
proxy addy: web.wireless.bell.ca
proxy domain: 206.47.201.84
port: 80

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Everytime I put in the mmsc proxy for bell (or any variant) it always resets to the default suwon3g one after saving. All other settings stay the same. It says (activated) beside "MMSC" btw

This is what I'm trying:
apn name: Suwon3GMMS (required to be recognized as an MMS profile by the current profile)
type: mms
mmsc: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc (and a bunch of other variations)
apn: pda.bell.ca or pda2.bell.ca
auth: none
proxy addy: web.wireless.bell.ca
proxy domain: 206.47.201.84
port: 80

So I'm seeing a coupple of things different to my layout.

Try and change the apn name to: mms_line

Also try moving the 206.47.201.84 to your Proxy address line and leave the Proxy domain line blank.

I've always found I need to reboot after applying settings to get them to work.

Let me know how you work out.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
No success :( I'll keep playing around with it.
Maybe it is related to the testbed you have selected - in which case a hard reset may be the only thing left to try.

Put it this way - other than the reloading of apps etc (and loss of SMS maybe) you've really got nothing to lose and you may end up being able to get it to work again.

Hope it works out - do let me know if you're successful.

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is related to the testbed you have selected - in which case a hard reset may be the only thing left to try.

Put it this way - other than the reloading of apps etc (and loss of SMS maybe) you've really got nothing to lose and you may end up being able to get it to work again.

Hope it works out - do let me know if you're successful.

You make it seem so stress free ;)

I'm fine with resetting (and purchase history makes it easy to get everything reinstalled, settings all my apps the way I like it the hardest part), the only thing is, I've practically reset my phone 5 times since I got it in May. That's kind of tiring. I'll do that tonight though and report my findings. Thanks for your advice thus far.:)

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got an update notification this morning.:D

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
I debranded mine a while back, updated to 8107. Just this morning got notified of 8773.98 and updated but it broke my MMS and I just updated through zune, no cab sender or anything and I'm still unlocked I believe. HOW DO I GET MMS BACK ON TMOBILE :(

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Nope - now I'm super pissed. Everything will save except for the MMSC which means I can receive but not send. The MMSC always reverts back to http://mmsc.cingular.com. It also says (Activated) beside the MMSC field name. I wonder if it can't be changed because it needs to be deactivated or something first?

The only question left for me to answer about this phone is will it blend. Seriously. I ordered mobile TV from my carrier and can't even use it on this device. How ****ing stupid. I know that's their fault but still. This means I have to carry two phones will me all the time now. One for communication and the other for mobile TV and MMS. **** you and your piece of **** phones Samsung. When WP8 is released I'll be buying a Nokia.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope - now I'm super pissed. Everything will save except for the MMSC which means I can receive but not send. The MMSC always reverts back to http://mmsc.cingular.com. It also says (Activated) beside the MMSC field name. I wonder if it can't be changed because it needs to be deactivated or something first?

The only question left for me to answer about this phone is will it blend. Seriously. I ordered mobile TV from my carrier and can't even use it on this device. How ****ing stupid. I know that's their fault but still. This means I have to carry two phones will me all the time now. One for communication and the other for mobile TV and MMS. **** you and your piece of **** phones Samsung. When WP8 is released I'll be buying a Nokia.

Sorry to hear you still haven't managed to get this working - I'd be frustrated as well. Have you tried completely deleting the MMS apn and recreating it from scratch?

On a side note - I had to hard reset my Focus S yesterday as it had stopped wirelessly syncing and I could not get ti to work again. Made me glad I had that backup!

It sucks that you are essentially left with a useless device. Have you thought about switching to a different platform or are you holding out for WP8?

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear you still haven't managed to get this working - I'd be frustrated as well. Have you tried completely deleting the MMS apn and recreating it from scratch?

On a side note - I had to hard reset my Focus S yesterday as it had stopped wirelessly syncing and I could not get ti to work again. Made me glad I had that backup!

It sucks that you are essentially left with a useless device. Have you thought about switching to a different platform or are you holding out for WP8?

Thanks for all your help by the way lol. Ignore my blind rage yesterday.
I'm using this as my main device as it can receive pictures, so If I need to send one I either swap my sim to my other phone or tell the person i'll send it later. Then if I need to send a picture or watch mobile TV, i use my second phone. And if I need wireless tethering, i use my third one. I don't plan to jump ship, but let's just say it would be nice if WP8 came out very soon ;)

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your help by the way lol. Ignore my blind rage yesterday.
I'm using this as my main device as it can receive pictures, so If I need to send one I either swap my sim to my other phone or tell the person i'll send it later. Then if I need to send a picture or watch mobile TV, i use my second phone. And if I need wireless tethering, i use my third one. I don't plan to jump ship, but let's just say it would be nice if WP8 came out very soon ;)

I thought of one more thing - I know it probabyl sounds stupid but have you tried making changes via the Samsung Wireless app while in Airplane mode? Worth a shot?

jake888

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I've updated my phone to 8770 using the send cab method and everything is good, but where do I get the Samsung firmware from? thanks

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey just tried it - no luck. I also thought to try it with no sim which also did not work :\ It seems the issue is whatever Samsung did to block ProvXML editing also blocked the Wireless Manager from editing the XML's (which contain the network information). Boo.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey just tried it - no luck. I also thought to try it with no sim which also did not work :\ It seems the issue is whatever Samsung did to block ProvXML editing also blocked the Wireless Manager from editing the XML's (which contain the network information). Boo.

And this would be COMPLETELY ridiculous if so because it would mean they BROKE THEIR OWN APP!!! :confused:

It truly sucks you've had such bad luck with the upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb