Upgrade your Focus S to Tango/Samsung Firmware and KEEP Interop unlock / MMS

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If there's one thing I'd like to see in Windows Phone 8 it's network configuration integrated.. You know, like it is on every other platform.

I have to say - if it's not then there's a real likliehood I won't buy a WP8 device as I'm off contract and have no desire to get tied back in to one.

It's ridiculous that this wouldn't be built in by now.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. One more question, I've finally completed the upgrade but now internet sharing does not work at all. help

Mine neither. I'll be looking at this tomorrow but it appears the only way to correct it is by rolling back and applying the interop / internet sharing fix from XDA if your device is unlocked.

Otherwise I think you're out of luck.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Got my Focus S back from Samsung after warranty work and it came updated with 8773, downloaded Wireless Manager and was unable to make apn changes for straight talk stick, kept reverting to default ATnT. Called Samsung and they said "call your service provider" and I kept saying I have the settings I just can't physically enter them like I used to be able to.:mad: I suspected it had everything to do with OS update and wireless manager not playing nice together. In the process of resetting I discovered that they didn't fix the problem with unresponsive touch screen and inability to sleep (screen stuck on) so returned it to warranty for the third time for this same issue. When I get it back in a week or two I hope they fix the wireless manager app. Or you fine people figure out a fix, cheers!!.:D

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Got my Focus S back from Samsung after warranty work and it came updated with 8773, downloaded Wireless Manager and was unable to make apn changes for straight talk stick, kept reverting to default ATnT. Called Samsung and they said "call your service provider" and I kept saying I have the settings I just can't physically enter them like I used to be able to.:mad: I suspected it had everything to do with OS update and wireless manager not playing nice together. In the process of resetting I discovered that they didn't fix the problem with unresponsive touch screen and inability to sleep (screen stuck on) so returned it to warranty for the third time for this same issue. When I get it back in a week or two I hope they fix the wireless manager app. Or you fine people figure out a fix, cheers!!.:D

My suspicion is that the phones you get back from Samsung are:

1. Updated to Tango 8773
  2. Have also had the Samsung OEM LE2 firmware installed
In which case you are unfirtunately out of luck as the Samsung Firmware update appears to not only break the Wireless Settings App but also diables the provxml method of applying Straight Talk settings.

You're going to be left with a paperweight unless you can aontact Samsung and explain the problem and ask them to send the replacement phone out with either:

1. Mango installed (up to 8107)
  2. or the 8773 Tango update WITHOUT the Samsung Firmware update.
How successful you'll be I'm not sure.

To be honest, **** like this just shouldn't be happening at this stage in the Windows Phone life cycle.

While I'm very much looking forward to WP8, I can tell you right off the bat - if there's no reliable way to edit APN settings then my next phone WILL NOT be a Windows Phone.

This is just basic stuff they need to get right if they are going to compete in the marketplace.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, so what you are saying is that all the people who are updating to Tango and are off the AT&T network are screwed when they try to re-enter their APN settings post-update. That's gonna be a lot of angry folks! Is there a way to unlock, wipe and flash Mango back to the phone?

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, so what you are saying is that all the people who are updating to Tango and are off the AT&T network are screwed when they try to re-enter their APN settings post-update. That's gonna be a lot of angry folks! Is there a way to unlock, wipe and flash Mango back to the phone?

That's what he's saying :mad:
And the only way it would be possible is to
a) restore from a backup
b) flash the mango rom (extremely useful for people who didn't make a backup. OH WAIT THE STOCK ROM ISN'T AVAILABLE **** YOU SAMSUNG)

so yeah, pretty much.:unsure:

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Also, how do we get the word out to people so they don't have this same problem?

**Called Samsung and they said there is no way they can send the phone back out after warranty repair with OS or firmware rolled back. Made a note about APN settings being locked. Hopefully an update to the Wireless Manager app will be forthcoming**

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I feel bad for people I really do.

The only reason I'm in the safe zone is that I'm a tweaker and hacker by nature so had made sure I had a valid backup of Mango before using cab send to update.

It's frankly ridiculous that Samsung's own OEM update breaks the ability to edit APN settings and they should rectify this immediatly.

Unfortunately experience (and my gut) tells us they probably won't. :mad:

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Looks like it's time to sell the Focus S, best phone I've ever owned (minus the warranty issues;))
Save up for a WP8 phone I guess, or buy an un-upgraded replacement.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, how do we get the word out to people so they don't have this same problem?

**Called Samsung and they said there is no way they can send the phone back out after warranty repair with OS or firmware rolled back. Made a note about APN settings being locked. Hopefully an update to the Wireless Manager app will be forthcoming**

I've created a thread HERE - maybe a moderator could Sticky it?

jake888

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine neither. I'll be looking at this tomorrow but it appears the only way to correct it is by rolling back and applying the interop / internet sharing fix from XDA if your device is unlocked.

Otherwise I think you're out of luck.

Okay, it looks like after I apply the Samsung firmware, the internet sharing is disabled. So the question is, do I need the Samsung Firmware? Can I just leave it after I apply 8733 and not update the stupid firmware?

dazza9075

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay, it looks like after I apply the Samsung firmware, the internet sharing is disabled. So the question is, do I need the Samsung Firmware? Can I just leave it after I apply 8733 and not update the stupid firmware?
yes, you dont need to update the firmware, however it does make some important improvments, its also worth noting that even upgrading to tango its self will mean interop and dev unlock will stop working, you will need to reapply the fixed. the firmware update stops this working,

ive had a thought, the ability to write reg entries depends on the app having elevated rights,

i was wondering, does any one know if the HTC connection setup app (which has elevated rights) use an HTC driver to get working.?

my chain of thought is that perhaps it would be possible to side load HTC connection setup and use that to update, 2 problems with that, firstly its an HTC app, it wont run, second is that it may use HTC drivers in which case we can forget it since we dont have the ability to change add or remove drivers on this device

jake888

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
yes, you dont need to update the firmware, however it does make some important improvments, its also worth noting that even upgrading to tango its self will mean interop and dev unlock will stop working, you will need to reapply the fixed. the firmware update stops this working,

ive had a thought, the ability to write reg entries depends on the app having elevated rights,

i was wondering, does any one know if the HTC connection setup app (which has elevated rights) use an HTC driver to get working.?

my chain of thought is that perhaps it would be possible to side load HTC connection setup and use that to update, 2 problems with that, firstly its an HTC app, it wont run, second is that it may use HTC drivers in which case we can forget it since we dont have the ability to change add or remove drivers on this device
Okay, I think I finally found the solution, I was able to enable the internet sharing (just have not tried to tether it yet)

You'll need WP7tools and modify the following in the registry

1) [HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings] OpenMarketEnabled=dword:1
2) [HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings] EntitlementURI="./Vendor/MSFT/Registry/HKLM/Comm/InternetSharing/Settings/OpenMarketEnabled" (without quotes)

3) [HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] MobileOperator="000-88" (without quotes)
4) [HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] MOName="OPN" (without quotes)

I'm not at home and I didn't bring a device to test the actual tethering, but I was able to enable it...perhaps someone could test this and see if that works?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I think I finally found the solution, I was able to enable the internet sharing (just have not tried to tether it yet)

You'll need WP7tools and modify the following in the registry

1) [HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings] OpenMarketEnabled=dword:1
2) [HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings] EntitlementURI="./Vendor/MSFT/Registry/HKLM/Comm/InternetSharing/Settings/OpenMarketEnabled" (without quotes)

3) [HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] MobileOperator="000-88" (without quotes)
4) [HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] MOName="OPN" (without quotes)

I'm not at home and I didn't bring a device to test the actual tethering, but I was able to enable it...perhaps someone could test this and see if that works?

YOU SIR - ARE THE BEST!!!!

Tested - confirmed working :D

CaixaDagua

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
WoodBane Help Please!

Hi guys,

1. Created a backup of my 7720 Mango phone state (how the phone arrived). Used the tool mentioned in this thread. This is also where you'll get all the cab files you need.

1. WoodBane, PLEASE.

I'm trying to update my phone to 8112, but there is no way at all.

Could you post your Stock Room so I can get my phone back to 7720/7740 ?

My Phone is a Samsung Focus S from AT&T USA.

PLEASE!

When I try to update it via Zune it says that ERROR 80180048 has ocurred.
    Failed to update phone...

I Don't know what to do =[

Tried via CabSender and fails again:
    +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
    ? WP7 Update Cab Sender xboxmod-Yuki 2011 ?
    ?--------------------------------------------------------------------+
    ?
    ?------? S ?(S)end Cabs to device
    ?
    ?------? B ?Send Cabs to device with (B)ackup
    ?
    ?------? R ?(R)estore device backup
    ?
    ?------? L ?Read last Update (L)ogs from device
    ?
    +--> Your choice: S

+------? Creating list of cabs
    ?
    ?
    ?------? Updating device
    ?
    UpdateWP version 4.8.2345.0

Applying updates to device
    Id: \\?\usb#vid_045e&pid_04ec&mi_00#7&17ffc71a&0&0000# {ca3d7387-f67
    b-11da-bbec-8000600fe800}
    SN: 0d69a470 - 7a2998f6 - ed929381 - d2013b7f
    Name: SAMSUNG SGH-i937
    KITLName: YKNBA14498FA807
    Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
    ModelId: 4
    Model: SGH-i937
    MobileOperator: ATT-US
    Version: 07.10.08107.03-00.00.00000.00-00.00.00000.00

Verificando o status do telefone: Completed in 0,01 seconds
    Verificando requisitos do sistema: Completed in 0,39 seconds
    Fazendo o download de atualiza??es: Completed in 3,03 seconds
    Verificando requisitos do sistema: Completed in 0,01 seconds
    Transferindo atualiza??es: Completed in 0,9 seconds
    Preparando para instalar: Completed in 6,05 seconds
    Reiniciando o telefone: Completed in 31,11 seconds
    Instalando atualiza??es: Completed in 40,32 seconds
    Verificando o status do telefone: Completed in 0,01 seconds
    Reiniciando o telefone: Completed in 32,1 seconds
    Concluindo atualiza??es: Completed in 9,93 seconds
    Error:
    Update device 0d69a470 - 7a2998f6 - ed929381 - d2013b7f Complete with error code
    : 80180048, error message: Failed to Install IU (Image Update) due to an error.

?
    +------? Done

Really, I need some help guys =/

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro