My Wife has a T2 on the way...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have given my tale of woe to WP Central users concerning the amazing run of crap over four HTC Titans (the original we bought the Saturday after Thanksgiving and three replacements). I got on the phone with AT&T warranty, and promply asked for a manager. I informed him that we had a deal from that Saturday on: My families business was AT&T's for 2 glorious years, and in return we got functional devices of our choice. I very nicely informed him that AT&T was failing on their end of the bargin.

After an hour of talking with me informing him that another Titan was out of the question as was paying money for another device, they agreed to send her a Titan 2. (They offered a Nokia 900 first, but my Wife is a HUGE photo nut and the 900 is not strong there.)

This is our last shot with HTC. I need to know what to expect.

1) Please, please, PLEASE tell me call quality is good. My Wife is trying to start her own crafting company and she NEEDS good call quality.

2) How is the shutter speed of the T2 camera? Her first Titan was great, but the last two Titans were not great. Overall, is the 16 mp camera good? She is actually a little exited by that, but I am worried it is a gimmick. Just hoping it is a good camera. As she is using it to put pictures of her crafts online, how is the macro detail?

3) Any problem with email or web browser freezing? Again, 3 of the 4 Titans we had were poor to just plain awful on freezing during loading.

4) How bad is the "disappearing keyboard"? I know we are still waiting on the Tango update which includes getting rid of that, but I am hoping that in general it is just a little annoying as opposed to her last Titan which really was horrid. It would fall away and almost never come back without restarting the phone.

There is no words about how tired I am of calling AT&T. I have never had this much stress over someting I paid a penny for. Give me some hope.....

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
1) Yes the call quality is top notch. I ditched the OG Titan because of the call quality issues. This is one area the T2 is far superior to the OG.
2) T2= best camera on a WP. Enough said you will see.
3) Zero. The OS is improved over the OG Titan I haven't had any issues with the browser or lockups.
4) Keyboard fix is onboard no worries here.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Titan 2 for 2 weeks and I'll say, I'm pretty satisfied about my choice in moving from the Lumia 900. The camera is in fact pretty good on the windows phone side. The 16 MP is a bit of a gimmick, because my HTC rezound on verizon was better and it was 8 MP. But don't get me wrong, the HTC Titan 2 takes some pretty good pictures. In the day time many cameras take good pictures. In low light settings is where they fail. This camera does an OK job at that. There are tons of "scenes" you can choose from in the photo settings.

Call quality is ok. I've had my wife say I sounded different than on the Lumia, but not bad call quality, just different.

I haven't had a lock up yet on this phone. No disappearing keyboards.

One think you will have to be aware of is that the cover on the bottom I think serves as part of the phone's antenna mechanism. If you take this off while the phone is off then your screen will say "GOODBYE" and the phone will shut off. If you try to turn you phone on will the cover is off, then it will come on for a short time and then power off again. Keep the cover on unless you know for certain you don't need your phone on for any reason.

The chin on the phone is a great feature. I can put the phone on the face side without fear of scratching the screen.

shutter speed on the camera is decent too.

The radio is good as well. I want to go on a limb and say that the T2 radio could be slightly better than the Lumia 900. My reason for saying this is this: I take a train to and from work daily. In the station I go to, my Lumia's radio wouldn't be so effective when I was walking far down the station away from the stairs opening. with my T2, I don't have this problem. I still get a few effective 4G bars and still can stream a video from down there. And my signal comes back quicker when exiting a tunnel as well. I didn't realize this until a couple days ago.

I hope your wife enjoys her phone. HTC needs all the help they can get lol.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad your wife is getting the T2. Having had the T1, the is no way the T2 is worse. In fact, it's impossible. Lol.

I like the T2, but dislike HTC and every I say I won't give them another chance, I do and I find out that I once again should not deal with them. Their build quality compared to Samsung and Nokia aren't even close. I don't mean how the device feels either.

Benzme

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
First Titan 2 day for me.. So far I'm loving it.

The Titan has plastic optics whereas the SG3 and iphone use glass and Sony sensors. But as I said in another thread I'm happy so far. Gave it a good workout today indoors at an expo and I'm relieved to say the pictures are excellent. Macro is fantastic. You really have to be careful in looking after the outer lens cover. I can see that being easily damaged.

The camera's performance is important for me so I took a chance going against some reviewers who slammed it. My wife's iphone 4s camera is better but I decided to go with the Titan because of Windows and the size.

Call quality is fine but the keyboard dropped out a couple of times tonight:mad:. At this stage I'll just wait and see..

I bought one of those wallet flip type cases which aren't that common for the T2 but it's an excellent product and gives outstanding protection. I left a link somewhere here, I think in accessories?

If the size is not a problem then I'm sure your wife will love it. It's a friendly handset.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
1) Please, please, PLEASE tell me call quality is good. My Wife is trying to start her own crafting company and she NEEDS good call quality.

Yup, in fact I think its better than the Focus S or Focus, and just a touch below the Lumia 900. But I can hear people better on the T2, because of the extra volume boost the T2 can push to the earpiece thanks to an option in the settings.

2) How is the shutter speed of the T2 camera? Her first Titan was great, but the last two Titans were not great. Overall, is the 16 mp camera good? She is actually a little exited by that, but I am worried it is a gimmick. Just hoping it is a good camera. As she is using it to put pictures of her crafts online, how is the macro detail?

Great camera, but shutter speed is...meh. Other than the One X, GS3, and iPhone, I haven't seen a camera phone with really quick shutter speed. But you can use burst shot which seems to work pretty well. It is a good camera, though, best Windows Phone has to offer.

3) Any problem with email or web browser freezing? Again, 3 of the 4 Titans we had were poor to just plain awful on freezing during loading.

That's awful - I've never had a WP7 device do that, and that includes the T2.

4) How bad is the "disappearing keyboard"? I know we are still waiting on the Tango update which includes getting rid of that, but I am hoping that in general it is just a little annoying as opposed to her last Titan which really was horrid. It would fall away and almost never come back without restarting the phone.

There is no words about how tired I am of calling AT&T. I have never had this much stress over someting I paid a penny for. Give me some hope.....

The keyboard doesn't disappear at all - they fixed that in the 8112 update, which shipped with the Titan and Lumia.

The only warning I have to give you is - the phone gets hot, near the bottom chin. For some reason its one of the "warmer" phones I've dealt with, not unbearable, but it is noticeable. Also the power button the top is a little too flush with the device.

Other than that, I love everything about the T2.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I feel a little better. I appreciate it. She loves WP and the size and screen of the Titan, but I was scared another bad experience would be it.

She got it already, so the jury is about to be convened. Will share the verdict when it is in.....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
A couple weeks in (It came overnight. AT&T responded well!!), and so far she is pleased!!

Reception and call quality- very good!! I like the call quality on my Focus S, but I may have to agree with bigkevbosky- I think it is a little better.

Shutter speed on the camera- not so much. She is a little disappointed. She actually liked the camrea on her original Titan the best. But it is a good camera and she is overall pleased with it. Macro settings getting a workout soon. Expect them to be good.

No cropped keyboard so far, web and email browsing flawless, and it holds really well to AT&T's semi-4G with no problem. No LTE areas to try it out yet.

She is still cheering for a Samsung Note-style WP8, but this T2 is looking to be a winner.

I am so relieved. Makes me happy.....

keem5

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
in addition to all that; battery life is a lot better than some of the android phones... i used to use an Evo 4g and had to charge the batter be4 (after a modera:cool:te amount of use)5pm or it would be on batter save mode.. but with T2 it remains all day.. very happy about it..

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Glad it seems to be better for you, my Titan II does well in everything you mentioned except for web browsing. I have a lot of issues on long pages, like the Verge or Engadget. I get graphics tearing at some point making the page unreadable as I scroll down almost daily. Also a lot of crashing out to start screen.

I am browsing the full versions of sites not the mobile ones, but still it is quite annoying. Tied to look at cars on cars.com the other night as crashed out at least 10 times.

Oh well, everything else operation and call wise is stellar so I hope the Titan II you got is doing well!

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Sucks, my web browsing is great. Different experience. I have no problem with my Titan 2 other than lack of exclusive apps. But it's cool. I'll take my lumps. The camera still beats nokias 900 after their update. My wife is jealous.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Is you wife still pleased with her Titan 2?
She is enjoying it. I keep asking, she is pleased. She has a little trouble with wi-fi connections, and sometimes emails do not open, keyboard has dropped a couple times, shutter speed on the camera is a little slower. Little performance issues like that keep it from being a great device, but she is happy overall.

The performance is so much better than the Titan 1, it almost seems petty to talk bad about it. All the things she loved (camera quality, screen size and the screen hue) and solved most of the issues that were killing #1 (call quality, freezing, screen locking up).

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
She is enjoying it. I keep asking, she is pleased. She has a little trouble with wi-fi connections, and sometimes emails do not open, keyboard has dropped a couple times, shutter speed on the camera is a little slower. Little performance issues like that keep it from being a great device, but she is happy overall.

The performance is so much better than the Titan 1, it almost seems petty to talk bad about it. All the things she loved (camera quality, screen size and the screen hue) and solved most of the issues that were killing #1 (call quality, freezing, screen locking up).

The only thing that has been wrong with my Titan 2 lately is that on the home screen it has lagged a few times. Don't know if it's because of lack of memory or too many live tiles or too many tiles in general.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb