Titan 2 at&t Data usage

keem5

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
i just switched to Att's data plan and this is the day 2 of the biling cyle and my data usage shows 110 mb. this is scary because my phone is always connected to Wi-fi at home, i only went to run some errands for a few hours and come back home.
So i called att and spoke with 3 people they all said that phone uses data. 110 mb for a few hours is like downloading aprox 20 mp3s or 40 5mpix pictures etc.. that doesnt make sense... the only app i download and was running in the back ground was the weather channel app but that is a text data type shouldnt be that much and i played some games then again it was minesweeper so it is not web based game...
this is :mad:, i may switch back to sprint if i will be using 110 mb everyday with connected to wifi..

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Something is really messed up here. Are you sure it's not 110kb a day?

Here's my personal phone directly from my AT&T account after 8 days. I am on WiFi most of the time, except when I run to the grocery store:

fjhnh1.png

Here's my wife's phone directly from my AT&T account after 8 days. She's on WiFi 50% of the time:

dy18u9.png

keem5

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
i uninstall all the apps i recently installed since 16th (yesterday) hopefull this will solve the issue, yes it was 110MB not 110Kb and i spoke with att they confirm the usage.. they dont have a way to tell you how you use the data... therefore its unknown what did my phone do with 110mb..
my att online account shows 9mb used but when you call the *DATA# on your phone then you get the text of data usage which is more accurate and up to the minute, check make sure they match.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You can also turn off cell data in settings this will stop all cell data. That way you only use WIFI and you won't have to remove your apps.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had data and Wi-Fi turned on 24/7 across two different phones (Surround and L900) for the past 18 months and I have not gone over 300mb/month on an AT&T Unlimited plan. Average is about 250mb/month. I use WiFi at home and office, so the data used is only when I am out and about or when the phone is updating while it is sleeping.

I also have 240 apps/games installed with 8 active background tasks and multiple other push apps. Oh, and 6 email accounts that sync between "immediate" and every 2 hours.

That's an average of 8-9mb a day in data use. So if you really used 110mb in one day, something is wrong. If you have a really weak WiFi connection, your phone will automatically switch over to data. But unless you were streaming video or music, you couldn't have used that much data. Even large app downloads, like XBox Games, "require" a WiFi connection, to prevent excess data usage.

I would try one of the speed test apps to verify you are using WiFi and check the throughput. The app will use the first available radio, so you will know if it's WiFi or data that has priority.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

keem5

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Update: funny thing is i was on my 4g data plan all day and it shows absoulty 0 data used...
it is funny but also scary , i am not sure what is going on with att... they will get back to me i know..
i kept checking my data usage both online account and checking the text results from *DATA# and yet it still shows no usage...
:confused:

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
AT&T Titan2 Data bleed

I agree as I've found the same issue. I've turned off data overnight and made sure the phone was charging. My data usage dropped over 50% for that billing period. The data leak issue in WP7 was in yahoo mail client. I think they have fixed that though. I've also read/heard that the Wifi connection is heavily power managed so when on battery the cellular radio is used first. So you can disable the cellular data when you are on wifi. See mu suggestions below which dropped my usage.

1. Disable as many back round tasks apps as you can.
2. disable cellular data when home and make
3. if charging overnight make sure you leave wifi on. The wifi connection will not shutdown when charging
4. Check you email settings for sync time. You hotmail account used to sync your device also syncs

I owned a LG Optimus 7 unlocked phone. The LG phone worked perfectly and didn't have any of these data leak issues. I used considerably less cellular network data with the LG device. So it maybe an HTC titan2 thing.

Good luck. BTW, I used the same suggestions as you suggested originally. That didn't do the same and just turning off cellular data.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree as I've found the same issue. I've turned off data overnight and made sure the phone was charging. My data usage dropped over 50% for that billing period. The data leak issue in WP7 was in yahoo mail client. I think they have fixed that though. I've also read/heard that the Wifi connection is heavily power managed so when on battery the cellular radio is used first. So you can disable the cellular data when you are on wifi. See mu suggestions below which dropped my usage.

1. Disable as many back round tasks apps as you can.

2. disable cellular data when home and make

3. if charging overnight make sure you leave wifi on. The wifi connection will not shutdown when charging

4. Check you email settings for sync time. You hotmail account used to sync your device also syncs

I owned a LG Optimus 7 unlocked phone. The LG phone worked perfectly and didn't have any of these data leak issues. I used considerably less cellular network data with the LG device. So it maybe an HTC titan2 thing.

Good luck. BTW, I used the same suggestions as you suggested originally. That didn't do the same and just turning off cellular data.
1) You can turn them off and on all day long if that's your thing, but generally Background Tasks use minimal battery (a few % per day with 8 running) and hence, very little data. I say "generally" because there have been a few third party apps that appear to break the rules.
2) When phone is awake, and WiFi/Data are both on, WiFi takes priority, always. Multiple month tests. Cellular only - 2.0 to 2.2GB/month. Cellular/WiFi on 24/7 -230-270MB/month. When phone is on, WiFi only drops if the connection is poor.
4) Curious. What do sync times have to do with data usage.

Oh, and just for the record. One of my accounts happens to be Yahoo. The data leak issue (which I verified) was corrected in February 2011.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven